Tarsus Mk2

Forum For Privateer Remake
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Gosshawk wrote:All I did with the tarsusmk2 was copy the lines from units.csv and masterpartslist into a new excell with some notes and compress with winrar. but that method requires both a basic understanding of editing those files in the first place, and a spreadsheet program. z30, did you use a speadsheet program to open the file, or some other method to incorperate the changes? Maybe if we come up with a difinitive compilation, we can just release a modified units and parts file.
Opinions.

Cheers
Spreadsheet :) I think including the master parts list & the units csv files would be the easiest for people to use. Maybe a simple batch program could simply backup the existing config files then copy over the modified ones.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Tarsus Mk2 combat techniques

Post by z30 »

One good way to tackle an incoming pirate is to aim above him. Keep the bogey at the lower half of your front cockpit window. Your autotracked hull guns, bottom turret and (locked) missiles will have no trouble tracking him.

His return fire will have a harder time getting to you, important if he's in the middle of an enemy swarm.

Fire a few volleys , launch your missiles then twist away.

If you are taking on a swarm target the topmost incoming bogey and do your attack run.

This technique should work for the Galaxy as well.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

how do i enter the spread sheet thing into the cvs. files? just on the end or after the original ships?
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:how do i enter the spread sheet thing into the cvs. files? just on the end or after the original ships?
What I did was edit the csv file with Excel then insert 3 empty rows in the units.csv after the tarsus (original) entries. Copy & paste did the rest then save as csv file.

Same for the master_parts_list.csv - you need just one inserted empty row for that.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:how do i enter the spread sheet thing into the cvs. files? just on the end or after the original ships?
Micheal - I could just attach my master_parts_list.csv and units.csv - that would save you the trouble.

The Orion Mk2 is still problematic, i often get "will not fit into your ship's frame etc etc" warning message when I attempt to fit in a turret.

Please rename the units.txt & master_part_list.txt to *.csv and make sure you backup your original files before you use these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I knew i shaould have waited. ihave just finished adding the tarsus in
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Putting the Orion Mk2 through it's paces

Post by z30 »

It looks like my decision to combine the roof turret & and the conversion of the missile launcher into a third gun was the right one.

I spent 500k+ to equip this variant with level 5 reactor and shields, 2 particle cannon turrets, 3 Ion guns with AT , repair drones etc Unlike the case of many people who outfit the stock Orion, I didn't feel the money was wasted.

a few volleys from the Ion cannons is all you need to vaporize Talons & Dralthi's head on and unlike missiles - you never run out.

The top turret is in a good place (very nice positioning by Gosshawk) and covers the front, top and rear nicely.

Armor is still an issue, the weakness of tungsten means heavy reliance on shields for protection ....at great cost since you also need equally heavy reactors.

You should be able to do just fine with Level 3 eq, and all particle guns without AT. The current rate at which Talons can rip through these though, makes this halfway config still dicey.
Gosshawk
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gosshawk »

Good work z30, I'll have to give it a spin. I still think the armor issue is caused by relying on the numbers on the armor itself. take a look at the armor values between ships in game, and with tungsten armor they all have 108Mj of protection. I could be wrong, but thats what i've noticed.

Z30, do you have an excell version of your orion I can insert? Be loads easyer than the txt format you posted.

Cheers
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Gosshawk wrote:Good work z30, I'll have to give it a spin. I still think the armor issue is caused by relying on the numbers on the armor itself. take a look at the armor values between ships in game, and with tungsten armor they all have 108Mj of protection. I could be wrong, but thats what i've noticed.

Z30, do you have an excell version of your orion I can insert? Be loads easyer than the txt format you posted.

Cheers
Just rename the files from *.txt to *.csv, Excel will be able to read it in directly. There's something definitely out of balance between armor and weapon damage, at least compared to the original game. It also could be the AI accuracy and pilot skill.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Gladius B

Post by z30 »

I've made a variant of the Gladius, moving the two wingtip guns to the hull and the HS missile points to the wingtips. The tighter gun clustering makes for easier kills in this ship.

An additional HS in each wing mount gives the B variant a bit more edge when dogfighting - specially when the hull missile mount is full of unguidable proton torpedoes.

Still testing it, as soon as I'm satisfied will post the updated master parts & units file here.

Any ideas on a background story why this variation was made?
Gosshawk
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gosshawk »

Maybe something as simple as combat experience against high speed targets proving the need for a tighter gun cluster and more missiles. Given the age of some of these spaceframes, it stands to reason that variations would appeare based on experience and new requierments. Plus modifications made by pirates and the general public itself.

BTW, do you know how to make these new versions appear as ai craft? I've been looking, but havn't had much luck. Be careful and back up the xml files if you start fiddling with them. I fiddled with the factions xml, and the game stopped working. I had to DL the game again and copy that file back to fix it. Just a friendy caution.

Cheers
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Re: Gladius B

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

z30 wrote:I've made a variant of the Gladius, moving the two wingtip guns to the hull and the HS missile points to the wingtips. The tighter gun clustering makes for easier kills in this ship.
Did you keep the X-pattern of the wingguns?
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Gosshawk
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gosshawk »

Just rename the files from *.txt to *.csv, Excel will be able to read it in directly
There is a limit to the number of characters per line in notepad. I opend it in wordpad and deleted some spaces to get every thing on one line per entry. then it went clean into excell. no big, just fyi

Cheers
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Gladius B

Post by z30 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
z30 wrote:I've made a variant of the Gladius, moving the two wingtip guns to the hull and the HS missile points to the wingtips. The tighter gun clustering makes for easier kills in this ship.
Did you keep the X-pattern of the wingguns?
With the wingtip guns now in the hull, the fire pattern of this variant is closer to that of the Demon. The HS missiles though work beautifully from their new wing mounts.
Gosshawk wrote:
Maybe something as simple as combat experience against high speed targets proving the need for a tighter gun cluster and more missiles. Given the age of some of these spaceframes, it stands to reason that variations would appeare based on experience and new requierments. Plus modifications made by pirates and the general public itself.

BTW, do you know how to make these new versions appear as ai craft? I've been looking, but havn't had much luck. Be careful and back up the xml files if you start fiddling with them. I fiddled with the factions xml, and the game stopped working. I had to DL the game again and copy that file back to fix it. Just a friendy caution.
Sounds good - I'm thinking that this was/is a joint project of the Confed & the Merchant's guild to beef up militia capabilities. The original Gladius is dead meat for Kilrathi ships - too little armor, gun fire spread too wide, less maneuverable.

Stronger militia forces would benefit either party - Confed would probably provide the technology , science and fighter experience while the Merchant's guild would provide the funding.

I don't think the Hunter's guild would like this development which sort of puts me in a quandry - this will probably be in the Confed shopping list for this reason.

So I've tweaked the config some more by upping the top speed to 1100 kph *but* limiting two of the gun mounts to medium cannons at the most.

The central gun can still be a heavy so a fusion gun can still be mounted there in the RF campaigns.

This ship is starting to feel sweet to handle, am thinking of calling this the K model ..the Kukhri after the famous fighting knife of the Gurkhas.

Will attach the updated files in excel format as well as soon as I've fully tested this one for game balance.

No idea on how to make these available as wingmen or just as friendly ships btw - maybe one of the developers can point us in the right direction.
Gosshawk
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gosshawk »

Sound sweet z30. Love to take it for a spin when ready. Have you upped the armor a bit on it, or is that even planned?

What do you think of giving the different ships permanent armor values? That way theres a signifigant difference between lightly armored ships and heavily armored ships.
Gosshawk
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gosshawk »

z30, in your txt file you posted theres some errors in the weapon coordinate entys. they're incomplete. I'll post a word pad version when i fix it.

cheers

edit: heres that file complete. make sure to open with wordpad, as notepad will mess with it.

I put the third gun where the missile hardpoint was cause that was easiest. If thats not where you put it, just change it and repost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Gosshawk wrote:z30, in your txt file you posted theres some errors in the weapon coordinate entys. they're incomplete. I'll post a word pad version when i fix it.

cheers

edit: heres that file complete. make sure to open with wordpad, as notepad will mess with it.

I put the third gun where the missile hardpoint was cause that was easiest. If thats not where you put it, just change it and repost.
Couldn't find your file attachment, but here are the excel files with all the latest & uptodate Tarsus Mk2, Orion Mk2 & Kukhri (Gladius variant) info.

Please help me check for errors (all those commas are confusing !) and if you could write the info for the Tarsus Mk2 so the ship inventory stock list shows the correct summary for the model that would be great.

Current Kukhri model can carry total of 4 HS & 10 Proton torps. I've also tweaked the afterburner& turn values so it feels like a medium missile ship but not like a pure fighter. Cruising speed has been cut down to 400kph so when you get behind a Dralthi, you don't overrun it.

Oh, and cargo hold is now 40 tons - I'm positioning this as an intermediate fighter on the way to the Centurion for fighter jocks who like missile work but enjoy some trade as well. Since the Demon has a 45 ton cargo hold ontop of all that manueverability & speed , I don't feel too guilty :)

As soon as we've cleaned and tweaked everything, we can post this in the Spaceman's permanent sticky thread on mods. I think players will enjoy these additions to the game.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Kukhri Runs

Post by z30 »

I've reached the Ox3 mission and hoping for the best. So far the ship is proving to be strong, versatile and balanced - it doesn't displace either the Centurion or the Demon in their roles.

A minimum of 250k is needed to buy the Kukhri and then decently outfit the frame, for this price you get :

Tungsten armor&hull
Level 2 reactor & shields
Afterburner & Jump engine
2 Particle cannons & 1 Laser
Intermediate Hunter radar
Level2 ECM
Repair systems (not sure if I was able to afford the Droid with this budget)

With more than enough left over to load 4 HS & 10 DFs.

The acceleration & manueverability is greater than the Gladius but not too high to make the Turn & Thrust enhancers unecessary.

I'd be interested in getting feedback/ comments from other people who've tried this particular version out. I'm worried that though veterans of this game will find it easy to fly, those trying Privateer for the first time may find it's piloting/fighting style hard to get hold of.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Kukhri Runs

Post by z30 »

I've reached the Ox3 mission and hoping for the best. So far the ship is proving to be strong, versatile and balanced - it doesn't displace either the Centurion or the Demon in their roles.

A minimum of 250k is needed to buy the Kukhri and then decently outfit the frame, for this price you get :

Tungsten armor&hull
Level 2 reactor & shields
Afterburner & Jump engine
2 Particle cannons & 1 Laser
Intermediate Hunter radar
Level2 ECM
Repair systems (not sure if I was able to afford the Droid with this budget)

With more than enough left over to load 4 HS & 10 DFs.

The acceleration & manueverability is greater than the Gladius but not too high to make the Turn & Thrust enhancers unecessary.

I'd be interested in getting feedback/ comments from other people who've tried this particular version out. I'm worried that though veterans of this game will find it easy to fly, those trying Privateer for the first time may find it's piloting/fighting style hard to get hold of.

Following are the descriptions you see for the Orion Mk2 & the Kukhri when listed in the ship buyer's list :

---Orion Mk2----

The Orion Mk2 was the product of the next gunship project of the Merchant's guild after the success of the Tarsus Mk2. By adding a top turret and placing a third heavy gun mount in the hull, the Guild was able to increase the Orion's firepower but at expense of giving up missile capability. Though slower than the stock Orion the Mk2 can still keep pace with the premier trading ship, the Galaxy. The new ship also has double the normal jump fuel capacity and can perform the jump process in less time than any other space vessel.

---Kukhri------

The Kukhri was the product of a joint Confed & Merchant guild effort to update the Gladius and so strengthen militia forces. Featuring better gun placement, higher speed and additional missiles this variant can hold its own even against the most advanced Kilrathi fighters.
Gosshawk
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gosshawk »

I wouldn't worry to much about the novices. Thats what the regular ships are for. Light fighters have always been more unforgiving as if you make a mistake your dead. heavyer craft can survive some mistakes. I'll start testing and checking tommorow, as well as startng on the drayman.

z30 wrote
you could write the info for the Tarsus Mk2 so the ship inventory stock list shows the correct summary for the model that would be great.
Could you clarify a little? not sure what you mean

Cheers
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Gosshawk wrote:I wouldn't worry to much about the novices. Thats what the regular ships are for. Light fighters have always been more unforgiving as if you make a mistake your dead. heavyer craft can survive some mistakes. I'll start testing and checking tommorow, as well as startng on the drayman.

z30 wrote
you could write the info for the Tarsus Mk2 so the ship inventory stock list shows the correct summary for the model that would be great.
Could you clarify a little? not sure what you mean

Cheers
Something like the the one I wrote for the Orion Mk2 & Kukhri in the previous post.

I took a look at the python code which manages the assignment of wingmen. It calls another program which randomizes which faction you get and what ship type - it looks like the ship type is hard coded in the program.

It should be possible to include the new ships in the selection, I think this randomizing module is also used to produce those ships we see flying about in the star systems.

Will take a close look at it in the next few days.
Gosshawk
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gosshawk »

Z30, the weapon coordinates on your Kukhri are incomplete on the units.csv you posted. could you double check and make sure they're correct. thx

cheers
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Gosshawk wrote:Z30, the weapon coordinates on your Kukhri are incomplete on the units.csv you posted. could you double check and make sure they're correct. thx

cheers

Attaching updated csv & excel formatted files now - it seemed complete in the spreadsheet but the csv file I uploaded may be truncated.

master_parts_list first, in csv & spreadsheet form (zipped - please unzip then rename)
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

units file next - csv & spreadsheet format.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

The updated files include :

* modified Broadsword variant, the Katana. this is a testbed for Drayman upgrade ideas. Katana has 1000 ton cargo hold, enough to carry one fighter or two Tarsus Mk2's.

It also has upgraded missile launchers, 4 missile mounts w/10 missiles each capable of handling light,medium & heavy missiles. I kept the 3 fixed Proton torpedo mounts but increased capacity to 5 each & added tractor capability.

There are 4 heavy gun mounts and lastly, speed has been upgraded to 400kph

* corrected default weapon values for Kukhri (Gladius variant) & Tarsus Mk2 to reflect weapon configs that work for me and not default values of originals

The Tarsus Mk2 is proving to be an effective cargo hold fighter. While pilot skill is obviously not ace/veteran level like the Gothri's, the nimbleness and added turret is enough to make it a distraction for opposing ships.

At 500 tons cargo hold volume, the Drayman can carry a max of ten escorts.

I'm still having difficulties tractoring in Kukhri using the Katana (using 3 tractor beams!) - could be form factors. No such difficulty with the Tarsus Mk2.

Kukhri cargo hold storage value set to 750 tons, to reflect it's smaller size vs. the Centurion (1000 tons).