A bit of help here, please.

Forum For Privateer Remake
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

A bit of help here, please.

Post by Fireskull »

I decided to begin playing a bit again, and after a while... decided to change a bunch of things in my game, namely, the damage of guns and missiles. Simply because I dont think they match the original Priv.

I only plan to change their values for my own game.

However, after editing weapons_list.xml with CSVed, I found the guns and missiles in game were lacking their stats and could not be equipped. Obviously, I skipped some important step here.

What are the procedures to edit gun and missile damage then?
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

wow, thanks for the help :P
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd help you if I could. Why don't you post on WCU-board and give a reference to this thread?
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

oh nevermind I got it, it was just a small code error I was doing.

If any of you guys want, I can post a link for my edited file. I am going to change the guns so their values are exactly the same as its said on the original game manual.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I thought they already were as in the original... :shock:
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Not really.

In PR, WCU -and- GG the guns are rebalanced. In the original game they werent as balanced. Plasma guns, as a example, used more energy, did less damage and were slower. Laser guns also do a bit more damage in our games than they should. The info about guns, comes both from my memory and the manual.

Missiles, they did not have anything even remotely resembling a balance between them either. Dumbfires not only didnt have a locking system, they also were the missiles which did less damage. FFs, while being auto-lock on your enemies, were the most damaging missiles. Torpedoes, did more damage than they do now, thought not even remotely near WC games torpedoes, but fired just a lil bit slower. This info comes both from my memory and the manual too. My memories on Privateers missiles however are very very clear. I am completely sure about this, because I remember quite clearly that I used to fill up my ships with FFs later in the game, and I always wondered why they didnt balance the missiles and decided to go for a ladder style thing instead.

I did a small bit of math between the damage of missiles and guns, and, by reading the info on the original game manual, found out that missiles do a bit less of damage in general than they should now. I fixed it simply by replacing our values with the original ones.

Armor values for many ships are quite wrong too. As a example, the Orion has -half- of the Hull value it should have. In the original game manual, it has exactly double the amount of armor a Broadsword has, while in our game it has the same amount of armor of a Broadsword. This is quite a problem not only because they dont have their original values, I dont think its possible to put the original values in for the player. Why? well....

Our code works like this for player owned ships: You have the general hull value, and the value of the armor you buy. So, you cant have the Galaxy have one type of armor, and then the Orion another. They all will have the type of armor the tungsten upgrade provides, while each having a different hull value.This is a downer from a tactical view point too because you cant have a different armor value or hull value for each side of the ship. They all will have the same value.

For AI run ships, even if you cant tweak their hull properly, you can set different armor and hull values for the back, front and sides.

Most ships have their right values in, or a medium value when necessary, just a couple are wrong. I am slowly changing these where needed, but for my game only. This means I am editing the game for my own enjoyment, but I can post a link for the file if you guys want it too.