Need advice on ship to buy...

Forum For Privateer Remake
Naveed
Explorer
Explorer

Need advice on ship to buy...

Post by Naveed »

Hi guys,

Sorry if I've been spamming the forum lately with my topics, but I'm new at privateer and I would like some advice.

I currently have my starting Tarsus and about 350K. I haven't done any campaign mission or the bonus one. I feel like changing ship but is it worth it at this point? If so, which one should I buy. I'm currently a merchant doing cargo run so I was thinking the Galaxy... but I'm just afraid that it won't be tough enough when all hell brake loose. The orion seems nice but will cost a fortune to upgrade. I think I did the max upgrade I could on my starting Tarsus.

Should I do the bonus campaign tohave the Dralthi and such?

Thank you in advance for your advices.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

the centurion is supposed to be the best for fighting...
the Orion is supposed to be the best at defence...
the Galaxy is best for cargo runs...
the ship you start off with (I forgot the name but it begins with T) is an all round craft...

Personally I think the ship you start off with is the best. You won't have to start over from scrach, pay a really high price for the new ship, and you can continously upgrade the one you start off with. When you reach the max limits of a craft try changing to another one and upgrade it to it's max limit, then repeat. That's the best way of finding "your love."
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
Naveed
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Naveed »

Thanks. I think I'll try the Orion or Galazy and see how I like them. Just feel like changing since the Tarsus cannot be upgraded that much and I get damaged in every fight.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

<takes cover>

but orions <u>are</u> a bit rubbish...

<runs away and hides>

:twisted:

you could probably kit out a centurion with the basics with that... maybe wait until you get around 450k and then splash out on one of those...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

You can do some serious money with the Galaxy.

I don't remember how much it takes, but all you have to do is get decent guns (not necessarily top-of-the-line - I used a couple neutron blasters), two turrets (top and bottom), and the best shields on the market that will fit the galaxy, and start doing cargo runs and not pissing off other people.

For that... just kill retros, and flee if anyone else attacks you. You won't be able to flee in all cases. But... if you can... do so.

That way, you won't have big operating costs because you won't have to repair often, and with the huge cargo hold you'll be able to take 3 high-pay cargo missions and still be able to carry your own stock, sell, buy, sell, buy, while still taking cargo missions all around, and you'll soon have enough money to get whatever you want.

Still... with all the fighting involved in the campaign, I don't think you can finish it in a Galaxy.

I'd choose a Centurion, right after I made a fortune with the Galaxy.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
wendigo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wendigo »

Because this remake is, when you get right down to it, *very* differently balanced than the original Privateer, most of the "conventional wisdom" you'll read in the game & manual no longer applies. The fact that the Orion is more-or-less obsolete now illustrates this point. If I might breakdown my biases:

Tarsus: Good all-rounder for most of the game, may prove underpowered for some of the tougher campaign missions.

Galaxy: Good trader ship in original Priv, far more powerful all-around ship in the remake due to the introduction of turret AI.

Orion: Easiest ship to beat the campaigns with in the original (seriously-- load up Dosbox & try it). In the original Priv, you never really fought more than 3 hostile craft at once, so the Orion's heavy shields had time to recharge during the quieter moments of firefights. Now that you can get pounded on by 10 hostiles at once, the additional defense just isn't enough to cut it. Basically a "broken" ship in this remake (though still fine for trade, exploration, and non-campaign missions).

Centurion: Supertough dogfighter. Deadliest flyer for skilled pilots in the original, utterly essential for tougher combat in the remake. Many people *love* this ship, expect it to be the best in the game, and expect rebalances to reflect this.

...not everyone feels this way, of course, and I'm sure you'll hear from them, too. :wink:
Naveed
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Naveed »

How about the other ships that are now available in the remake? The talon, demon and kiralthi ships? Anyone of those worth it?
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

All ships are worth trying... I personally played a lot of bounty hunting after finishing the game and stuck to a Stiletto (fully upgraded with tachyon guns and dumbfire rockets) 'cause I missed some chances to buy those rare ships. It's the fastest ship ingame (as far as I remember) and the fast shield recharge makes it rock like hell.

For playing the campaigns a fully upgraded Centurion is the best ship to achieve kinda relaxed gaming.
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

If you are in doubt about what kind of ship to go with, then I reccommend the Galaxy. Why? Because it has everything the Tarsus has, and more.

1: ) Faster--the Galaxy is 100 kps faster on afterburner, has higher acceleration, and a slightly faster turning rate.

2: ) Better protection--The Galaxy can handle level 3 shields (vs. level 2 on the Tarsus), and has twice the base armor/hull strength before the Plasteel/Tungsten upgrades.

3: ) More power--the Galaxy takes a level 3 reactor instead of the Tarsus' level 1, which means that you can use full shields and afterburn or shoot your guns, OR you can use 2/3 shields (press the "S" key to toggle) and use afterburners AND shoot your guns at the same time.

4: ) More cargo space--the Galaxy carries 150 base cargo (225 with upgrades) vs. the Talon's 100/150

5:) Turrets! The Galaxy has two of them. Not only does this mean that you can have a tractor beam while still leaving your gun and missile slots open, but with turret AI turned on, you can press CTRL-W inflight to let them fire on enemies at will (or ALT-T to have them attack your current target, or CTRL-T to shut them off when you DON'T want to shoot). AI turrets effectively means that you have four extra guns with which to shoot at enemies, and you can shoot behind you as well!

I reccommend avoiding Neutron turrets due to short range and high power consumption (resulting in the guns being unable to fire at full speed). Laser, Mass Driver, Meson, Particle, or Tachyon turrets are all right.

In sum, pretty much the ONLY thing that the Tarsus has better than the Galaxy (besides cheapness) is that it has a smaller profile, which results in you getting hit a bit less by enemy fire. However, I think that the above advantages make the Galaxy significantly superior to the Tarsus
He who lives by the sword . . . gets shot by he who lives by the gun.
Naveed
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Naveed »

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll try the Galaxy, get a lot of money and then a centurion I guess. Or save up for a Kiralthi ship or something... Anyone know how much the Talon is after the Tayla's missions... wanna make sure I have enough to buy it.
Vandrvekn
Trader
Trader

Post by Vandrvekn »

>>How about the other ships that are now available in the remake? The talon, demon and kiralthi ships? Anyone of those worth it?<<

Some are, some aren't. The Talon is just a good way to get killed, it's far too light for combat. The Demon is great, faster and more manuverable than the Centurian, with lighter guns and defences.

The Dralthi is not as weak as the Talon, but it still can't take a pounding. It has incredible speed and can turn on a dime. I don't really like it myself, but a lot of others do. The Gothri is great; it's basically a faster Centurian with fewer missiles.

The 3 Confed ships all have their uses, but 1 big drawback: they make the Kilrathi attack you on sight. Since I like to stay on the Cats' good side, I avoid them.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

the benefit of getting the Centurion first is you can make massive amounts of cash doing the 'risky' patrol missions, the ones that pay about 100,000 for patrolling, you'll probably get attacked a bit but if you're competent its a really fun way of getting some money to plough into refining your centurion. and the cargo hold can usually fit one cargo mission in as well.

i personally rank the Centurion, Demon and Stiletto at the same point (number 1), their speed to guns ratio is very similar and are all immense fun to fly, Centurion is definitely safest though, what with it's missile capacity. and nothing's going to argue with 4 Fusion guns either

this thred really does show how it's very much down to personal preference though
Naveed
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Naveed »

Interesting. Where are the paying patrol. I never saw one as of yet? Near the Kiralthi sectors?
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He is talking about Clean Sweep Missions. You gotta advance in the campaigns, kill a lot of people and improve your ship and you'll get better missions offered. :)

Good luck!
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Vandrvekn
Trader
Trader

Post by Vandrvekn »

I've never seen a patrol for that much; I think he's referring to clean sweep missions, basically just patrols with a lot of enemy ships you have to kill. You can sometimes find missions for 100 to 200k for cleaning out a system. Easy money if you're up against pirates or retros. I don't recommend taking these missions against the Kilrathi.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Vandrvekn wrote:I've never seen a patrol for that much; I think he's referring to clean sweep missions, basically just patrols with a lot of enemy ships you have to kill. You can sometimes find missions for 100 to 200k for cleaning out a system.
Isn't this what I've said? ;)
Easy money if you're up against pirates or retros. I don't recommend taking these missions against the Kilrathi.
Why? Fight some million Talon and the mass will bring you down (sometimes ;) ). But when you fight Kilrathi you will fight Gorthi and, by luck, Kamekh. And, IMO, fighting some heavy vessels is always easier than fighting billions of light fighters...
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Clean Sweeps are the best missions to fly... wether they are challenging or they are suprisingly easy. The best money I made with a 120k Clean Sweep against Kilrathis - I was sure they would blast me to hell - and when arriving at the system there was round about nothing - 124k bucks for a simple patrol flight. Haven't had this luck with the next mission I flight.
Although those Clean Sweeps are hard missions anyways 100k - 200k bucks are enough reasons to give it a try.
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Dire Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dire Wolf »

Naveed wrote:How about the other ships that are now available in the remake? The talon, demon and kiralthi ships? Anyone of those worth it?
The demon is great in PR, by RF, since it doesn't get upgrades, it becomes too weak. But it was great to play through PR the first time in a demon.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:But when you fight Kilrathi you will fight Gorthi and, by luck, Kamekh. And, IMO, fighting some heavy vessels is always easier than fighting billions of light fighters...
i love fighting Kamekh, i did a bounty mission on 3 of them once, that was great
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

Dire Wolf wrote: The demon is great in PR, by RF, since it doesn't get upgrades, it becomes too weak. But it was great to play through PR the first time in a demon.
I agree. Being only one level lower on shields/reactor is worth it for the extra agility and afterburner speed, plus the box-shaped formation of the guns ensures more gunshots hit the target. In RF, however, the Centurion becomes more powerful--it gains speed with the Multi Speed Enhancer, is now TWO levels higher on shields/reactor, and has more upgrade space so that it can hold all of the new upgrades (the Demon will leave you with the choice of which upgrades to forgo since it has only 12 units of upgrade space).

That said, where do I need to alter the files in order to allow the Demon to be purchased earlier than the Palan series?
He who lives by the sword . . . gets shot by he who lives by the gun.
Vandrvekn
Trader
Trader

Post by Vandrvekn »

To me, the extra agility of the Demon still makes it a good ship in RF, even though it doesn't get shield or reactor upgrades. Incidently, if you buy a milspec Demon after the Palan missions, it has reactor and shields already, so you can buy a few more of the RF upgrades to even it out.