What Privateer 2 was not

Forum For Privateer Remake
JonathanD
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by JonathanD »

In line with the discussion on the other thread, I'm thinking speeds of 250 base, 500 afterburner would be appropriate to give the turrets time to do their work
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Charlie Whiskey wrote:I actually liked the idea of hiring cargo ships in Privateer 2, but too bad the AI wasn't particularly bright.
I'd also prefer this version. In Priv, the Remake or GG (priv from now on), you either have the choice not to trade or fly a cow. Honestly, trading in priv is like "get there as fast as you can and hope for no encounters". But in priv2, trading was sometimes even like doing well balanced ox3 missions... in any case, better to defend your transporter than sitting on your drayman or galaxy and watch how your armor drops... That's why I don't trade in priv.

to all the other stuff said here I don't really have an opinion. I'm not one of the guys that say: stick to canon or the orig game in every aspect, but when i play priv remake I still want to play priv. To me, it's important to keep the feeling of priv (which i would describe as backyard like) I guess i see a huge danger to this feeling when we introduce a lot more other vessels or do modify the existing once. Just take the discussion about arming the drayman better... To me, the "backyard" Gemini Sector has also kind of a nobody cares spirit. As soon as a drayman has three turrets and his main guns it starts to be some mobile fighting platform... and heavy armed tarder turn my backyard in kind of a war zone...
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
SeeViper
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

PR2 "The Darkning"

Post by SeeViper »

PR2 "The Darkning"
Seriously, I think the game isn't from the Wing Commander Universe.

I have a Galaxy map here at my side that has every system the Wing Commander series followed.
Yes, even WC Privateer (the original) goes by it to the "T".

Now PR2 doesn't, NO systems can be found on it...

I looked through all the sectors, no systems can be found to match.

That might be why they dropped the name "Wing Commander" from the name Privateer...

Anyway, If someone from Vega Strike can get a hold of me, I would like to know the tools to use in making an espansion to PR. I'm a modder that started a big mod for the Novalogic's game "Joint Operations" that turned out to be a big hit with the gaming community.

And would expand my horizan's with some of the games I loved, PR being one of them. Veta Strike team did a wonderful job in bringing the game back to life, and making it work within Win XP. Great work!!!

What I would like to do for the WC series is to make more sectors to start, make sure to put Sol in there... "Earth's Solar System"...lol
The WC universe is so large 12 Sectors in all, but 50 or more systems in each sectors, It would take years to even explore...lol

I love my freedom... to go where no man or furr-ball as gone before...
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Good day SeeViper, and welcome to the modding team!

We're currently trying to fill the existing systems with life by creating new ships, a greater variety of base types and of course new campaigns and factions are up to follow. But there's nothing to say against new systems since creativity is more important than sticking to the WC timeline (the project is called "parallel universe"

The most important files for system moddings are wcuniverse.xml and the files in /sectors/Gemini. Both behave like html files and are therefor accessible with notepad. The game first looks up wcuniverse.xml to generate the universe. Details are taken out of the system files.

The forum contains a lot of information and file examples about general modding, the VS wiki does as well since PR is a VS mod for itself.
cabbit
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Re: PR2 "The Darkning"

Post by cabbit »

SeeViper wrote:PR2 "The Darkning"
Seriously, I think the game isn't from the Wing Commander Universe.

I have a Galaxy map here at my side that has every system the Wing Commander series followed.
Yes, even WC Privateer (the original) goes by it to the "T".

Now PR2 doesn't, NO systems can be found on it...

I looked through all the sectors, no systems can be found to match.

That might be why they dropped the name "Wing Commander" from the name Privateer...
Also:

Privateer II made NO mention of the Kilrathi. Even if the game was set MUCH later, in some previously uncharted sector, it's hard to believe that Wing Commander's star aliens would make no appearance in a Wing Commander game.