Talon [spoiler]

Forum For Privateer Remake
kreitzig
Explorer
Explorer
Location: ?? Why, sitting at my desk...upright, of course!! No, no...I wasn't sleeping.

Talon [spoiler]

Post by kreitzig »

I finished the Tayla missions and I want to buy a Talon. I see it for sale, but it's in red so I can't buy it. Anyone know what's up? I'm on good terms with the pirates.
Qualidor
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Qualidor »

I don't think you can actually fly it. The reason it is red is because you're buying it as cargo - and you need a big f-ing hold to keep a ship in (like a capital ship).
kreitzig
Explorer
Explorer
Location: ?? Why, sitting at my desk...upright, of course!! No, no...I wasn't sleeping.

Post by kreitzig »

Well, I can cheat and give myself a Talon; and fly it all over. I just can't understand why it won't allow me to do the purchase. You can buy ships, and fly them, at other bases the same way.
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

kreitzig wrote:Well, I can cheat and give myself a Talon; and fly it all over. I just can't understand why it won't allow me to do the purchase. You can buy ships, and fly them, at other bases the same way.
Going with almost no info,
You can only BUY the talon once as I understand it. Finish up with Tayla and...Easter Egg.

After that it's over.

Personally, I think it's a good training ship. It's not going to take a lot of abuse, and it isn't so totally gunned up that you can do a lot with it. Good to learn on, but not worth fighting it throughout.

Demons are quick, light and something that might be more worth your while.

W.
=============================
Don't laugh, you ASKED me to break it!
I find television very educational.
Everytime someone turns on a set,
I go in another room and read a book.
--Groucho Marx
==============================
kreitzig
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kreitzig »

I agree that the Talon isn't a great ship, and that there are many others that are better. The point I'm making is that I am at the right place and time to buy a Talon, but the game won't allow it. I am just trying to figure out if I'm missing something or if there's a bug. Has anyone else been able to buy it? Maybe you can clue me in.

Thanks.
Justus_Cade
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Justus_Cade »

I have a hard time flying anything other than the Centurion. I've flown alot of ships... the Talon, Demon, Stilleto, Salthi etc..etc... but I just feel vulnerable without my Centurion. Three tachyon cannons and one fusion cannon (my preference anyway) with both missle bays full of FF missiles has kinda spoiled me. I have to admit I still like the Broadsword after all these years. I'm not a big fan of the Talon though...considering I usually blow these things up in one pass.
Destruction of the empty spaces is my one and only crime.
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

Justus_Cade wrote:I have a hard time flying anything other than the Centurion. I've flown alot of ships... the Talon, Demon, Stilleto, Salthi etc..etc... but I just feel vulnerable without my Centurion. Three tachyon cannons and one fusion cannon (my preference anyway) with both missle bays full of FF missiles has kinda spoiled me. I have to admit I still like the Broadsword after all these years. I'm not a big fan of the Talon though...considering I usually blow these things up in one pass.
Looking at the Centurion -vs.- the Talon...

Liken the Centurion to a 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix
Liken the Talon to a 1991 Toyota Celica
Put them both in a demolition Derby and see who wins.

Heavy Fighter -vs.- Light Interceptor. I KNOW the game calls it a Medium Fighter, but it's BIGGER than the Tarsus. It's HEAVY. Look at the slide you achieve when you go in at full AB.

One is a sparrow and the other a hawk. Enough sparrows and you discourage the hawk.

W.
Don't laugh, you ASKED me to break it!
I find television very educational.
Everytime someone turns on a set,
I go in another room and read a book.
--Groucho Marx
==============================
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Actually in the original game, the centurain was designated as a retired military heavy fighter. I think the reason its under medium, is because of its relation to the orion gunship. For all the trash I talk about the orion, its a BIG, and ergo HEAVY ship. Its comparitive, so the orion is in the heavy, the centurion in medium, and the demon in light, even though the orion cant be classified with light, medium or, heavy fighters, cuz its not a fighter, and the centurion is a heavy, and the demon is a medium.
Elegnaim
Trader
Trader

Post by Elegnaim »

I know this is gonna sound stupid and obvious, but you ARE positive you can afford it, right?
kreitzig
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kreitzig »

Elegnaim wrote:I know this is gonna sound stupid and obvious, but you ARE positive you can afford it, right?
Yes. But this one's been resolved. I was answered on another thread. The solution was to buy from the mission computer not the commodity exchange.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

You can fly it alright. And buy it SURE you you can afford it??? Stock costs 70,000, Milspec 40,000 credits.