Privateer Beta Ready

Forum For Privateer Remake
Sphynx
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Sphynx »

I don't suppose that anyone could post some screenshots?

This sounds like a dream come true. I never played Privateer, and have always regretted it.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

the AI needs to be adjusted...

the privateer AI was really stupid.

like :

fly at you + shoot
when near -> slow down, then turn away
fly awa a bit + turn around
repeat

and if you shot it, it would after a few hits turn away, fly away, and fly back.

AND the ships didn't use their full potential. they would just lazilly turn and take their time... somtimes just fly around some and waste time.

our AI is designed to take the best path to rocking yout butt, and it does it as best it can.

we need to tone it down... which i will. i just need to figure how to do it without making it do retatded stuff.

about the screenshots... will we update the WCU site anytime?

-scheherazade
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

your guess is as good as mine

if anyone actually is playing the beta, please, please post your best screenshots!!
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

woohooo!

time for some 16xAA and 16x Aniso screens!
Sphynx
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Sphynx »

Okay, okay, I can't resist it any longer. What do I have to do to get access to the beta? I'd love to help out (yeah, it's all about helping out, not at all about my desire to finally play Privateer, yeah, that's it.... rats, I'm a lousy liar).
Moonsword
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Moonsword »

E-mail privater@gmail.com and they'll set you up, Sphynx.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

I think I've mentioned this before, but couldn't find my post:

After reading a vicous thread over at the priv.solsector.net forum about Remakes varying from original etc, I wanted to throw this idea up for thought.

The VS engine operates using a starting mission (e.g. explore_universe_mission). Why not have 3 different missions available.

1. Privateer (or Privater for the DOS among us). This mission accurately reflectly the original privateer game (only the four ships, original upgrades only etc).

2. Righteous Fire (or rf). This mission reflects the addon, including the new missions and upgrades. Still the same four ships.

3. Universe. This throws the gates open. Availability of all ships, missions, upgrades, extras, additional sectors, jumps, base types and what have you for the WC Universe.

Your saved pilot can carry over from 1 to 2 to 3 but not backwards. You now have the choice of replaying the original experiences, or going direct to 3 to experience everything if you want.

May not be possible, but I think it would satisfy purist requests for original experience, and the open view to experience new things.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

silverain: what an interesting post!
I'll have to think about the technical feasability of it.

the biggest problem is that cargo is not tied to a particular mission--and cargo determines what's purchasable (fusion cannons, steltek, etc)

but perhaps we could have it specify the master part list--since that's all that would need to change---hmmm...the possibilities are endless

wait...might as well make that a config option...in fact.....!!!
I think we have it!

Bingo you win
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

EDIT: removed.

Read hellcat's posts at crius
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Ouizardus

AI

Post by Ouizardus »

I've been playing the Privateer Remake, and I would definitely second the motion to tone down the AI big time. No matter what I set the difficulty to, they shuck and jive like there's no tomorrow, and I just can't hit them...and I definitely could hit them back in the day of the original, yes sir! Other than that, I am quite throughly impressed by the entire thing, and just keep up the good work!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ok consider it done...for the easy and easier difficulty