Privateer Beta Ready

Forum For Privateer Remake
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

For all people currently working on the SVN, can you please register with dsource.org so I can add you as a direct user to the SVN instead of using a common account?

http://www.dsource.org/forums/profile.php?mode=register

Private Message me when you have the accoount created.

Thanks
-Matt-
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ther'es no method to automatically create a svn account with dsource.org

that's why everyone uses the vega account, cus I don't want to irk the sysadmin there by having hundreds of svn account creation requests
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

hellcatv wrote:ther'es no method to automatically create a svn account with dsource.org

that's why everyone uses the vega account, cus I don't want to irk the sysadmin there by having hundreds of svn account creation requests
hundreds ? More like 5-10 if that.

peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Just grabbed the latest SVN, and it's magically cooler!

the animated space junk, 3d ship in the upgrade screen, the cargo pics, the bartender speech, the BASE ANIMATIONS!!!11one....

w00t, my dear fellows. w00t indeed!
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Has anyone put any effort into setting up a list of Kilrathi flightgroup names that sound like Kilrathi names? Like K'thrak, or Ralghar or something. Or is this even a good idea?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

still waiting for a reply to my email...

cant wait to try the game though!
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

peteyg wrote:Has anyone put any effort into setting up a list of Kilrathi flightgroup names that sound like Kilrathi names? Like K'thrak, or Ralghar or something. Or is this even a good idea?
What "Kitty Fodder" doesnt work? Kr'Ap, Sh'Iz,
:lol:

MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

peteyg wrote:Has anyone put any effort into setting up a list of Kilrathi flightgroup names that sound like Kilrathi names? Like K'thrak, or Ralghar or something. Or is this even a good idea?
Nope. As you've likely seen they are all using mineral names ATM. I'm not really familiar enough with the Kilrathi to make a good list, but if someone were to make one, we could probably use it ;)
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Someone contacted WCNews for help on the names?
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
DMJC

error

Post by DMJC »

error.. please fix/look into
upgrades_turret1.png, not found
Assumed exit on unit medium_turret_rear(if not quitting, report error)
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Is it my imagination or when selecting missions for either the Merchants Guild or Mercenaries Guild you have no choice but to accept?

Also I would recommend reducing the font for the menu systems, and enlarging it for the missions briefings, and possible place It on the bottom of the screen in its own window.

BTW I relay like the missions OBJ on the screen now.

Finally I have created a massive amount of Asteroids located in the WCU directory under miscellaneous. That someone might want to add. I don’t know of to do the LOD for the bxmf format.

peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I think it's your imagination. I think you can still click off the screen if you don't want to take any missions, or you can click on any of the other missions. That's what I remember, anyways.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Yeah well perhaps there need to be something a little more obvious, like the accept/decline option in the bars.

MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

I guess it could be more obvious, but it worked fine in the original game. I think it's more obvious here, as you can right click through all the possible choices and one of the is something like 'exit.' I'll watch for it though
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Being a privateer player from way back, these entries are in comparison to the original game. If variations noted are on purposes, my apologies.

Scanner Lock indicator: originally was an indication that you had a missile locked and fired on you. Now, indicates that an enemy is locked and firing any weapon <personally, preferred the missile lock version>.
Shield and Jumping: Shields are drained/disappear when press j and activate jump drive. Is this on purpose?
AI: Enemy ships stop and turn on a dime. Case in point - Retro Talon flew straight towards me, darted of to side, and in the side of forward viewscreen, I watched it turn around and fly beside me. Undecided if this is a good or bad thing.
Base Screen Animations: excellent work. Did note that at mining base, the transport moves off the side of the pic, but is still visible. I think this is the effect of the black band around the png.
Interaction Screens: as its a beta, still using VS screens - granted. Suggestion - change computer background to something more suitable (a grey background perhaps?). Maybe mark the Commodities & Upgrades computers as interactive computers somehow that lead to the screens - avoid confusion for oldies :) .
Software Booth: any way to convert this to a dedicated Cargo Screen dealing only with the scanners? Then remove them from the upgrades computer.
Luxury Base Music: Jolson music seemed to play a bit too fast.
Talking to Bartender/Fixer: instead of remaining in the bar, with writing overhead, use a talking head? Gives more room for the writing.

On the whole, wonderful effort, especially for a beta. Much appreciated and looking forward to future releases.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Scanner: I'll let hellcatV answer that one.. I'm not too sure how it works. I'd be happy with either way myself. Nice to know when I am a target.

Shields draining when jumping has been fixed.

Lighter ships are very maneuverable compared to heavier ships. There wasn't such a spread in privateer. Something I'd like more feedback on, but I could see myself tweaking.

transport: interesting :) not sure it's worth messing with, as I had never noticed it until now. But, obviously someone did.

Computer screens: Someday in the future it may be easier to skin/arrange them. Perhaps something easier could be done now to change the colors somewhat, but I don't think it impacts gameplay too much. Perhaps in 1.1 ;)

Software booth: maybe for 1.1 Perhaps there will be some way to buy maps too. We'll see.

Jolson music: hadn't noticed. I'll compare it to the original sometime.

Talking heads: possible. Another possible 1.1 feature, as I think it works ok as it is now.
Perhaps not as many fixes as you would like, but at least one ;) Right now what I am worried about most is the ability for lighter ships to fly circles around larger ships. One would expect them too of course, but it wasn't so bad in the original, and more importantly, it isn't necessarily fun. Will be worked on.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

we're missing a few other things too...

a damage screen (so you see what systems you have damaged)

and a privateer-looking map screen model (which i can do pretty ez).

and we should add a skill-based aim fubar to the ai. so that they aren't so hard.
in priv originally shit shot at you but not aggressively. here it has deadly aim and it's out for blood. so we should have some adjustment.

-scheherazade
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

<being picky>

Appearance at a landing pad with your ship seems odd i.e. your ship does not match the background appearance. Example: centurion at Detroit LP. The LP looks dirtied, but the centurion looks fairly clean. As opposed to original game, both looked the same.

Any intention to modify here? As mentioned, just being picky :)

In case I hadn't mentioned before, very good effort for a beta!
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

for a while the ships on the pad were lit with the same kind of light as on flight in whatever system they were in. Perhaps it would be nice to specify lighting for a base instead of inheriting it from the system. Ships will never really match anyway though, they are all much higher res than the platforms ;)

some more stuff about the manual, namely the turret section
press []] to select and enter a turret. This key will also cycle through your remaining turrets, and return you to your forward view. You may also press[f1] to return to forward view
This isn't quite true.. f1 will return you to the forward view for that turret. While in a turret, f1 is forward in the turret, f2 is left in the turret, f5 is behind the turret etc. The only way to get back to the main cockpit view that I know if is the ] key.
to toggle the ai of your turret, you must press [o] while within the turret
I'm not sure that actually does anything.. I activate the turrets by pressing [o] while in the main cockpit view.
while in forward [f1] view, press [P]
The current turret target key is [r] I believe. That can be switched pretty easily of course.

Overall turrets are a bit too confusing. I'd love to see f5 or f6 switch to a turret, and f1 back to the cockpit (don't need side view in a turret really), and I'd love to see their ai always on, or on by default. Fn keys aren't likely to be messed with though, and I can see that it might be safer to have the ai off by default, so I'm, cool with it as is I suppose :D

Good work with the manual
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

I've never used turrets so I just inherited it from the wiki and forum posts.

I'll have to test it.
Moonsword
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Moonsword »

Can I ask a question: how large is this file?
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

"can I ask a question" - you just did :D

The file is around 100 megabytes right now. It will grow if more voices are added.
Moonsword
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Moonsword »

*swears mildly in frustration*

*goes to see if he can create a g-mail account*

I don't think I'm going to slip a 100+ meg file past the school's e-mail servers... at least, I don't think ITS is that stupid.

EDIT: Okay, how are we supposed to get this? I can e-mail you, but I'm not clear on the delivery end of the equation. If this is something you'd rather discuss via e-mail or IM (preferrably the latter), please tell me.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

just mail the priv crew--they'll get you setup, no matter what inet connex you have
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Moonsword
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Moonsword »

Okay, three points:

First of all, this is fun. Now to the criticism.

I don't remember being mobbed by Talons constantly at the beginning of the game. It seems like I launch, fly a few cargo runs, and then I'm jumped by two or three of them and I die.

Second, as said before, Repair All is *extremely* expensive.