Looking for Merchant ship model for Privateer usermod

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Looking for Merchant ship model for Privateer usermod

Post by z30 »

Hello all, I'm looking for a good model for a merchant ship - the planned ship would have the following characteristics.

- It would be fill the gap between the medium class 310 ton Galaxy ship and the light capship 5000 ton Drayman II. Weight will be somewhere between 750-1000 tons

- It would have 4 turrets for protection, twice what the Galaxy has and have a top speed of 300-350 kps (Galaxy reaches 750kps, Drayman tops out at 150kps)

- It should *not* be threatening in appearance , just like the Galaxy the impression should be a "peaceful trade ship with teeth" :)

I've been looking for an available model all over the net, there are thousands of fighter/destroyer/cruiser models but very few merchanters.

If there is one in Vegastrike or any other mod, I'd be very interested in looking it over and if possible borrow it. We'll take care of adding the turrets and making the necessary units.csv entries

If it's in a model format that has to be converted to BXFM or xmesh, we'll tap people to do the conversion.

We'll make sure that the people involved in making the model and the mod from where it came from will be properly credited. Any improvements or modifications done to the model will be available for the rest of the mod teams in Vegastrike.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

VS Ships that might fit:

1)?the clydesdale good and quite merchanty. though it is really a cruiser. And though it is big ingame, it doesn't look taht big to me, especially with the same-samey textures.

2)Strangelet's stoic freighter. Quite interesting and different. You might want this one. It's still not used in the game atm. I recommend this. Though a bit of retexturing might be necessary to make it fit in your mod.

3)umm.. the mule? might also be good.

that's all I could think of atm.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Oblivion wrote:VS Ships that might fit:

1)?the clydesdale good and quite merchanty. though it is really a cruiser. And though it is big ingame, it doesn't look taht big to me, especially with the same-samey textures.

2)Strangelet's stoic freighter. Quite interesting and different. You might want this one. It's still not used in the game atm. I recommend this. Though a bit of retexturing might be necessary to make it fit in your mod.

3)umm.. the mule? might also be good.

that's all I could think of atm.
Thanks, they sound interesting and worth taking a look at. Is the ship in the picture the Stoic freighter? Google search led me to a post by Strangelet at some web forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Yep, that's it.

This is the second color scheme (red and black), the first scheme was yellows and stuff.

But the one strangelet submitted had all the cylindrical containers attached. You might want to see that.

DL Zeog's development version of VS in the future developments thread, it contains the new units, including the stoic. Ask permission from strangelet tho if you're using it.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Oblivion wrote:Yep, that's it.

This is the second color scheme (red and black), the first scheme was yellows and stuff.

But the one strangelet submitted had all the cylindrical containers attached. You might want to see that.

DL Zeog's development version of VS in the future developments thread, it contains the new units, including the stoic. Ask permission from strangelet tho if you're using it.
I will thanks :)

I'll also touch base with Spirit as to where best to fit this ship in PR.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Hello all, I was wondering if it's ok to import the ff VS ships into the Privateer Remake usermod we're constructing :

Firefly
Tian
Missile Cruiser

Both the Tian and the Missile Cruiser will be filling a role very close to what they currently fill in VS - that of a Scout/Recon light fighter and an anti-fighter/long range fire support craft respectively.

These have VS ship specs that nearly match what I'm envisioning so asides from armor , shield and some weapon adjustments (PR ships tend to be more lightly armed than VS ships) I don't foresee making radical changes to the ship stats either (maybe except to fit them into the PR ship class weight classifications).

The Firefly is a nearly perfect model for the new Drone fighters and since these are about 2-3x the size of regular missiles the specs will have to be scaled down accordingly.

All three will be part of the arsenal of a Terran faction, the new scenario places the player in the middle of a civil war in the Gemini sector - caught in a 3 way fight where there is no middle ground, no way to stay neutral.

I'll be happy to include full credits for the creators and developers of these models plus litreature about VS, so people playing our mod are fully aware of the mother project where PR sprung from.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

I believe that would be perfectly acceptable, though you may want to wait a bit in case any devs want to object for some unknown reason :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

dandandaman wrote:I believe that would be perfectly acceptable, though you may want to wait a bit in case any devs want to object for some unknown reason :-)

Dan
Thanks Dan, will follow your advice :)
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Redeemer

Post by z30 »

Hello all, I've ported over the VS Redeemer over to PR to be part of a breakaway faction which has split off from the Retro faction.
PR Retros wrote:
Details: Retros refers to a fanatical offshoot group from the Church of Man. While Church of Man advocates a quiet agrarian lifestyle away from technology, Retros are willing to use technology to destroy all technology. Retros can be found all over, though mainly in Clarke and Fariss quadrants.
Morale: Fanatical rookies or pros. They WILL kamikaze if they think they can kill you doing it.

Ships: Talon (fighter)
To Appease: You cannot align yourself with the Retros.
Enemies: Retros hate everybody.
passage taken from :

http://www.classicgaming.cc/pc/privatee ... ations.php

Redeemer flyby of New Constantinople

The Redeemer will be a medium fighter since it's stock VS weapon loadout is more characteristic of the PR medium fighter class.

Other ships I'm interested in are the Robin, Sickle and that alien ship that looks like small triangular wedge. If there are any concerns on the part of the developers about this please let me know.
Tseng
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Tseng »

Small alien ship that looks like a wedge.... You mean the Nicander?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I think Halleck made the redeemer right? Howard Day on the alien ships, and i don;t know who made robin or sickle.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

BTW Redeemer was made by Ethereal Walker 8)
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.