edge hardness in bfxm/xmesh

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

edge hardness in bfxm/xmesh

Post by esgaroth »

A question to the modellers: when I make my models I usually make some edges hard and some soft in wings. However, when I export the model to xmesh or convert it to bfxm this information seems to get lost and all my edges are soft, leading to very "organic" models. E.g., my Antares class freighter (here in wings) Image looks quite different after converting to bfxm and insertion in vegastrike Image.
Any way how to change/avoid this ?
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Yes, just cut your mesh where you don't want the edges to be smoothed. This will result in some duplicated vertices but the triangle count will stay the same.
You have a really nice ship there, by the way!
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Or export to obj and then straight to bfxm, rather than doing the in between xmesh step (that's where the smoothing information is lost)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Strange, I did export to obj (from wings) and then to bfxm via mesher....
Cutting is maybe a solution, but it takes enormous time, there are a lot of angles I dont want to be smoothend. But if that is the only way, I will try it.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Having rethought, it is not that easy. i usually exported to obj, then converted to bfxm. However, the bfxm model was shining like polished metal (reflexivity high), and because of this I converted to Xmesh, changed reflexivity, added emission etc. and converted back to bfxm. Is there a way to change the reflexivity and to add emission textures directly, without the xmesh intermediate step ? I have to confess that I dont have the slightest idea about the bfxm format ....
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

esgaroth wrote:Is there a way to change the reflexivity and to add emission textures directly, without the xmesh intermediate step ?
Yes! Edit the mtl file that accompanies your obj file. The latest versions of mesher interperet the material information you set here... it can also be useful for setting damage, glow, and specular maps.

Ks is the specularity (reflectivity) of the material. Here are the maps that klauss told me work with VS:

Code: Select all

MAP_KD <diffuse map>
MAP_KE <emissive (glowmap)>
MAP_KS <specmap>
MAP_KA <damagemap>
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Thanx a lot ! I guess the 3 values behind KS in the obj mat file are the reflexivity values for the three colours ? I will experiment a bit, and if it works this will save me a lot of future work !
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Seeing, I cant comment on the smoothing probs, as I don't know nuthin' hehe. Just squeaking to say that ship is very nice. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

used map_Ke in my last model, but it does'n work (the model doesn't emit light at all).

why :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"Eppur si muove ..."
(Galileo Galilei just after abjuring to the Inquisition)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ugh - sorry. I didn't have time to test anything.
I'll get to it sometime tomorrow, probably. Now I need some sleep.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe