Modding for Dummies

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
SGCharest
Merchant
Merchant

Modding for Dummies

Post by SGCharest »

I see a number of references to modifying various parts of the internal code: e.g., making a Plowshare go 1970 as its max speed, adding more weapons capabilities, etc.

Must one know C++ or other programming language to do this?
If not, how can I go about making changes?

Thanks in advance.

sgc
JonathanD
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by JonathanD »

changing speed stuff is pretty simple, adjusting existing mounts is as well, adding new mounts I think requires changes to the models.

What do you want to do, exactly?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you can try editing the units.csv file in units/ folder or your savegame in ~/.vegastrike/serialized_xml/
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
majdrkfir
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by majdrkfir »

So if I wanted to, for fun, stick say.. 12 weapons mounts on a Lancelot, what would need to be done? I've edited the file '.../vegastrike/units/lancelot/lancelot' and tried just copying in more mounts from other ships, and making the necessary x,y,z adjustments but.. now what?

How do I get the game to load in this new uber-ship? Is there something else I need to do?
Tx,
J.