CVS questions

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

CVS questions

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I was following the Wiki instructions for CVS download and it says,
CVS Wiki (Tortoise) wrote:# Download and Install Tortoise CVS;
# Create a new folder in Windows Manager where you will download your modules (called Sandbox, CVS or similar working location name);
# Within that folder, create another folder being the name of module you wish to checkout e.g. data4.x, music, vegastrike etc;
# Right click on the folder created and select CVS Checkout. This brings up the checkout configuration screen;
# Input the configuration information below into the screen;
# Click OK to begin checkout of the module.
So, I created a CVS folder, and under it I created vegastrike, vega-vc7, data4.x, and music folders, and checked out the modules.
But then I go to the wiki for how to compile with VC7 and it says that all the modules should be downloaded into the same folder. I'm totally confused.
If the latter is correct, can I just move the files under all the folders into one folder?, or is this going to break future CVS updates?
Also the Wiki for Tortoise check-out says you must copy the folders and calls one group the working copy and the other the playing copy; but I don't quite get the jest of it.
Finally, the Wiki for compiling with VC lists a cvs script that shows a -kb parameter in the line for checking out data4.x; but the text says that only the older data needs that switch, and the Tortoise Wiki says nothing of -kb. And there's no explanation of what it does, so does having it wrong with regards to -kb prevent a check-out?, or would the problem show when trying to play the game?, isn't clear.
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by zbyszanna »

I can tell you how I did it, maybe it will help.
I created directory vegastrike - that will hold all my vega related modules. You can name it cvs or sandbox. Inside I just check out modules leaving their original names, so directiories like vega-vc7 are created automaticaly. Now you should have the following directory structure:
vegastrike/vegastrike
vegastrike/vega-vc7

Open the vega-vc7 dir and open the sln file, so the solution will be load automatically. As it is written in readme only vegastrike compiles properly as other projects are out of date. Paths are set in a way, that they expect to find files in ../vegastrike/src folder, so almost everything should be okay.

In preferences in tortoise you can set compression level other than zero, but that's rather all.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: CVS questions

Post by Silverain »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Also the Wiki for Tortoise check-out says you must copy the folders and calls one group the working copy and the other the playing copy; but I don't quite get the jest of it.
I originally put that comment in since I was only working with data4.x to obtain the latest data and windows binary. I checkout/update my copy, then copy it across to another location as the copy I actually run and play - so any modifications to files from playing (like vs.config etc) are modified there, and causes no problems when updating the original file (something about your modifying your local file, and CVS not overwriting your local changes...) Really, this just applies to data4.x module, since you are not likely to change anything in the other modules unless actually doing development.

As for compiling, can't help you since I've never successfully compiled the game - hence relying on binary updates in data4.x.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I work it like this:
I create one cvs directory, called Vegastrike-CVS or something.
I then go into that folder and tell tortoise to check out the vegastrike, vega-vc7, and data4.x modules into the Vegastrike-CVS folder.

Then, I open the vegastrike project file and compile it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Holly Cow! It works!
Only problem, no mouse. Vssetup doesn't link:
VS7 output wrote:------ Build started: Project: vssetup, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

Linking...
central.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl ShowMain(void)" (?ShowMain@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "void __cdecl Start(int *,char * * *)" (?Start@@YAXPAHPAPAPAD@Z)
central.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl InitGraphics(int *,char * * *)" (?InitGraphics@@YAXPAHPAPAPAD@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl Start(int *,char * * *)" (?Start@@YAXPAHPAPAPAD@Z)
..\..\data4.x\bin\Setup.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

Build log was saved at "file://h:\Cvs\vs\vegastrike\vega-vc7\vssetup\Release\BuildLog.htm"
vssetup - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped
EDIT:
Looks like some gtk lib or dll needs to be linked...
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by zbyszanna »

If you don't intend to change the setup, you can copy the setup binary to the output directory.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Problem is, I don't have it.. ;-)
I didn't transfer the installed games to my new machine.
Ah wait! I did copy the WCU tree.. thanks!

EDIT:
Weird, after I copied setup.config over from wcu, my llama's combat speed cap became 60. Actually, I copied setup.exe also, and used it before I flew. I did change from normal play to relaxed play... Better check if putting it back to normal play fixes it...

Yep, that was for "deccelerated gameplay". Put it back to normal play and the combat speed went back up to 240. Don't see the logic, frankly; if I put the game at the easiest setting it just means I want enemies to be few and/or bad shots; not that I want to fly more slowly. Anyways... At least I got it to compile, now where should the autopilot go?...