Vega Strike and IRC

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Vega Strike and IRC

Post by temporalbeing »

For those that are using IRC, please see our IRC Announcement.

TLDR; We've moved from FreeNode to LIbera.chat for our Primary IRC channels. For now we're keeping the FreeNode channels as backup since the old irc.stealth.net network seems to no longer be around; however, we can't advertise that on FreeNode or they'll take over the channels and close them.

Please reach out if you have any questions!
varnov2
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Re: Vega Strike and IRC

Post by varnov2 »

Hello, thank you for adding this ad because it is very useful because I was looking everywhere on the Internet about this topic and I could not find it
alexis92
Trader
Trader

Post by alexis92 »

Might I suggest the community look into Discord as the primary chat service to get together? A large number of IRC communities have moved there, I've heard.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There is a real animosity in the Open Source community towards Discord especially as regards it's information gathering practices apart from the closed source client app that is needed.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
alexis92
Trader
Trader

Post by alexis92 »

Alright yeah, didn't take that into consideration, so that's more than fair. Just the ramblings of a madman!
ThinkSome
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ThinkSome »

The IRC channel can also be accessed through Matrix (use "#vegastrike:libera.chat" as room name). Matrix should be better suited than IRC for those who want Discord-like "experience".
ThinkSome
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ThinkSome »

the Libera-wide Matrix bridge has been removed a month or so ago, thus the channel is IRC-only.
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

@thinksome thanks for letting me know...I'll have to investigate to see what happened.
ThinkSome
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ThinkSome »

I'm considering whipping the current channel population over onto irc.freegamedev.net, it has history support and network-wide matrix/XMPP bridging. Also, does not disclose usernames and IPs like Libera does.
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

If we can get good integration over to Matrix then I'd be for it. I keep getting booted from the bridge on Matrix for Libera. Let me know so I can join - happy to be one of the room ops (I'm the current room ops for Libera).
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

FYI - I tried joining it via Matrix using #irc_#example:matrix.f-hub.org