Wings Xmesh converter troubles

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
reaper
Trader
Trader

Wings Xmesh converter troubles

Post by reaper »

Hey, I'm trying to import one of my own ships into VegaStrike, but the xmesh exporter is crashing with the following junk:

Exporter crashed:function_clause
[{e3d_xmesh,export,
["/Users/grog/Desktop/temp2/ship6.xunit",
{e3d_file,[{e3d_object,"cube1",
{e3d_mesh,
polygon,
[{...}|...],
[]|...},
[],
[]}],
[{default[{opengl,[{ambient|...},{...}|...]},
{maps,[{...}]}]},
{cube1_auv,[{opengl,[{...}|...]},{maps,[...]}]}],
"Wings 3D 0.98.26b",
undefinded},
[{"Ambient",
[{visible,true},
{locked,false},
{opengl,[{type,ambient},{ambient|...},{...}]}]},
{"Infinite",
[{visible,true},{locked,false},{opengl,[{type|...},{...}|...]}]}],
[{export_as_cockpit,false},
{ignore_config,true},
{export_images,true},
{export_scale,1.00000}]]},
{wpc_xmesh,export_1,4},
{wings_export,export,4},
{wpa,'-export_filename/2-fun-0',3},
{wings_plugin,command,3},
{wings,do_command_1,2},
{wings,raw_command,3},
{wings_wm,handleevent,3},
{wings_wm,send_event,2}]

It seems to be choking on lighting which I had at one time, but deleted--also restarted wings and still have the same problem. Any help appreciated!!
-----------------------

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

--Mark Twain
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Sorry, this output isn't really helpful.

Maybe you are using non-UV-material (=vertex color...) somewhere? I think this is one reason for a crash/break on export.

If that's not the reason.. is there a chance you can upload the wings file somewhere?
So i can try it and see what's the problem.

Pontiac

Note to myself: I really need to finish the converter script..no more such unneeded error-seeking.
reaper
Trader
Trader

Post by reaper »

Hmm, sorry all that junk wasn't helpful, that's the only output it gave when I tried to export. You can pick up the model here:
http://www.astro.psu.edu/users/debes/ship6.wings

hope that helps--and tell me how sucky it is so I don't embarass myself by posting it to the artwork forums :)

EDIT: also, I'm on a MAC OS X 10.3.8 powerbook G4, if that is relevant
-----------------------

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

--Mark Twain
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Ok, seems like my plugin was out of date (API wise).
Could you please install the latest version i just uploaded and try again?
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... n_1_5a.tgz
reaper wrote:Hmm, sorry all that junk wasn't helpful, that's the only output it gave when I tried to export. You can pick up the model here:
Actually the junk was useful, but i didn't know that at the time i looked at it ;)
hope that helps--and tell me how sucky it is so I don't embarass myself by posting it to the artwork forums :)
I like the shape (though i can't get along with the fin in the back)... and the model you sent me is a bit dark ;) (Yes i know it's 'cause of filesize)
EDIT: also, I'm on a MAC OS X 10.3.8 powerbook G4, if that is relevant
Shouldn't make any difference .. at least where it concerns erlang/wings.

Pontiac
reaper2
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reaper2 »

Pontiac, you da man--the converter works perfectly, I have the ship in game and flying around. Thanks for the fix!
"There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact."

--Mark Twain