Manual, Wiki and Homepage notes

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Manual, Wiki and Homepage notes

Post by pontiac »

Ok, i just played a bit with the layout of the Wiki-Manual.
I'm not a top artist nor a good layout designer, so this is just a basic draft of course.
There are also some comments and image variants in the Talk Section.

What do you think (Layout/usability/coolnes factor/etc..)?
Are there better pics that can be used (especially the cover-image where we have alot lying around)
EDIT: i also added lots of images to be used in the manual in the gallery.

I also put a few questions in the Talk section of the main age

A smalll note on the Vegastrike Homepage and the link bar on the top. Is it time alreaddy to change the manual and wiki links to the new locations?

Cheers,
Pontiac
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Manual, Wiki and Homepage notes

Post by Silverain »

pontiac wrote:Ok, i just played a bit with the layout of the Wiki-Manual.
I'm not a top artist nor a good layout designer, so this is just a basic draft of course.
I like the idea - may be able to improve (not sure), but it is good. Maybe two instead of three columns though?
pontiac wrote:There are also some comments and image variants in the Talk Section.

What do you think (Layout/usability/coolnes factor/etc..)?
Are there better pics that can be used (especially the cover-image where we have alot lying around)
EDIT: i also added lots of images to be used in the manual in the gallery.
When I'm spare I'll upload some images. Do we want images that I cut down to small size for the .pdf, or use the full large size images? Also you put an A5 size cover, do you have an A4 size, or better yet, could you send me your sources for the pic?
pontiac wrote:I also put a few questions in the Talk section of the main age
I answered one: Yes, I think its better to subsume the interface pages directly into the manual descriptions - see what I did for the Cargo Computer.
pontiac wrote:A smalll note on the Vegastrike Homepage and the link bar on the top. Is it time alreaddy to change the manual and wiki links to the new locations?
I think we should move it over so there's no confusion on what's the 'real' wiki. I have a favourites link to the old wiki for information access so that's OK by me.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

@pontiac,

I think I mis-interpreted your intention on he wiki manual concerning the Interface section.

I was under the impression you wanted to remove the 'Base Interface' wiki pages altogether, and integrate the controls themselves with the discussion areas - which is what I did for Trading and Cargo computer.

Your entries appear to mean that you want to shift the descriptive entries to the Base Interface pages. Which way did you want to go on this?

Thanks
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Silverain wrote:I like the idea - may be able to improve (not sure), but it is good. Maybe two instead of three columns though?
Yes, two columns were in my first draft, but 3 save more space.
This is easily changeable in the future.
When I'm spare I'll upload some images. Do we want images that I cut down to small size for the .pdf, or use the full large size images? Also you put an A5 size cover, do you have an A4 size, or better yet, could you send me your sources for the pic?
Yes bigger is possible and i'll put the source-file up somewhere soon.
I hope i don't forget it until i'm home ;)

Pontiac
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Silverain wrote:@pontiac,

I think I mis-interpreted your intention on he wiki manual concerning the Interface section.

I was under the impression you wanted to remove the 'Base Interface' wiki pages altogether, and integrate the controls themselves with the discussion areas - which is what I did for Trading and Cargo computer.

Your entries appear to mean that you want to shift the descriptive entries to the Base Interface pages. Which way did you want to go on this?

Thanks
I wrote an answer in the talk section.

I imagined a seperation of the 'virtual' locations (which would be the computer screens -> put it into "base interface" or better "base computer") from the 'real' locations such as hangar/bar/etc.

Pontiac
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

pontiac wrote:Yes bigger is possible and i'll put the source-file up somewhere soon.
I hope i don't forget it until i'm home ;)

Pontiac
Ok, i've put up the source file (GIMP xcf packed up into a tar.bz2 ~2.6MB):
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... cf.tar.bz2
Kinda bloated since i'm just playing around with it, but everything needed is in there.

I also put an example of what i had in mind for the locations/computerscreens into the talk section.

Pontiac awayyyy..
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

pontiac wrote:A smalll note on the Vegastrike Homepage and the link bar on the top. Is it time alreaddy to change the manual and wiki links to the new locations?
I hate to bring this topic up again, but the navigation bar on the top of the Vegastrike homepage still point to the extremly old (and mostly outdated) manual. Even the link in this old manual points a another old manual (in the old phpwiki) which has not indication that is IS outdated (at least not in the manual section).

My point: just link to the most recent manual at http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Manual ;)

Ponitac
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Seconded.

Maybe link hellcatv's original manual somewhere for historical purposes, but we really should have the manual linking to the most up to date information.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Silverain wrote:Seconded.

Maybe link hellcatv's original manual somewhere for historical purposes, but we really should have the manual linking to the most up to date information.
Exactly my thoughts.
As long as the html pages stay where they are they are already linked to from the Links section on the manual mainpage.

Ponitac