Minature Grav Thumper Question

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
kruiz008
Merchant
Merchant

Minature Grav Thumper Question

Post by kruiz008 »

Is there a way that I can "trick" VS into thinking of the Grav Thumper as a missile (like a FoF or torpedo) rather than a gun (like a Ktek or tractor beam)? I just want to have the Grav Thumper listed under Missiles in my HUD so I can fire it with my missile fire button, and also to have less guns to cycle through when selecting a particular one.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Minature Grav Thumper Question

Post by loki1950 »

Not that I'm aware of as the gun and missile slots are handled buy there own algorithms in the Python code besides the Thumper is a gun no material whatever thrown at an other ship which is the definition of a missile(apart from the fact that missiles usually have some means of propulsion)
You could look at adding a section to those algorithms to do what you want though it will be tricky :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Minature Grav Thumper Question

Post by TBeholder »

I don't know about Python part, but hardcoded part is simple - it's either by "whether it's PROJECTILE" or by required mount type:
src/cmd/weapon_xml.cpp

Code: Select all

bool weapon_info::isMissile() const
{
    if (game_options.projectile_means_missile  && this->type == weapon_info::PROJECTILE)
        return true;
    if (game_options.projectile_means_missile == false && this->size >= weapon_info::LIGHTMISSILE)
        return true;
    return false;
}
And yeah, configuring weapons individually on upgrade level would be nice. Then we could separate interceptors and drones from missiles (so that AI use is controlled not by firing/MissileProbability, but by separate confvar and roles are checked differently too), put GravThumper into missiles list and rocket pods into guns list, that would make sense (the way they need to be used).
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter