Files for text corrections?

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
VGSailor
Hunter
Hunter

Files for text corrections?

Post by VGSailor »

Hello,

I have been playing Vega Strike for about a week now and, although I am still waiting for help to fix a bug that keeps me from jumping to certain systems, I am enjoying the game and experiencing as much of it as I can.

My question is, if I want to correct the name of one of the systems ("Bernard's Star" to the more Terran-friendly "Barnard's Star"), in which file or files would I have to look to make the correction? Is it a situation where I can just change a data file and have the game use the corrected data? Or is it something where I would have to change the source code and re-compile. I compiled my engine from scratch to begin with, so re-compiling wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Thanks for the help!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Files for text corrections?

Post by klauss »

Well, if you had a pristine installation, you can fix it in milky_way.xml or galaxy.xml, I forget which. Thing is, you most likely don't have a pristine installation, and the old name will be creeping into generated system files and save game. I don't think it's such a good idea to change the name at this point (ie: without reinstalling or resetting savegame stuff and generated content).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
VGSailor
Hunter
Hunter

Post by VGSailor »

Actually, it seems to have worked fine. I changed it in the milky_way.xml file, as you suggested, and then I changed it in all of the .system files in the sectors directory under share/vegastrike. Then, I changed it in all of the .system files in the sectors directory in my .vegastrike directory. And then I just used sed to replace it in my savegame files. I haven't yet seen any trace of the old name.

Thank you! :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yeah, that sounds thorough ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe