Saitek X52 (Axis) Configuration

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
rhoddity
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Saitek X52 (Axis) Configuration

Post by rhoddity »

Hello,

As per suggestion, I am posting my working axis configuration for the Saitek X52 Flight Controls.

Now, keep in mind, I set up all of my button bindings within the Saitek SST software, so I will only be sharing the axis assignments.

(Copy/Paste this just before "</bindings>" in your "vegastrike.config" file)

Code: Select all

<!-- #joy_saitek_x52 -->
	<axis name="x" joystick="0" axis="3" inverse="false" />
	<axis name="y" joystick="0" axis="1" inverse="false" />
	<axis name="throttle" joystick="0" axis="2" inverse="true" />
	<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="0" inverse="true" />
<!-- #end -->
This assumes you named your joystick "joy_saitek_x52", in the .config file. (joystick category)

The settings above will assign controls as follows:

Tilting the stick back/forward --> Pitch
Tilting the stick left/right --> Roll
Twisting the stick --> Yaw
Throttle --> Throttle (currently set up so pushed front is stop, and pulled back is accelerate)

Also, for those who own the Saitek ProFlight Rudder Pedals, you can set them up to control yaw by assigning them in the Saitek SST software to behave as "Mouse Axis X" (a trick I came up with for using pedals in BF1942), and then activating "Mouse Warping" in Vegastrike's Setup.exe.

If anyone finds this information useful, or if they have any questions about getting any of this to work, I'd be more than happy to help. =)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Saitek X52 (Axis) Configuration

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard rhoddity good work only one small problem Saitek SST software is for Windows only and the game runs on Linux and OSX as well and where is the button and hat assignments :wink: Just as important as the axis like any flight combat sim we have lots of targeting options that are subject to personal preference.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
rhoddity
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by rhoddity »

Hmm, I didn't know that, I had assumed it was cross-platform. Good point! xD

Well, if nothing else, there's the starting point for those wanting to quickly set that up. I know! I'll set up my button bindings in SST, and then work toward creating a matching (working) .config entry. I'll post my full results in this thread as I finish it! Hopefully that will help some. =)

One last question though. Does VS support multiple joysticks? I had assumed it did, but somehow had a bit of trouble getting it to function properly with "joystick=1" added to the .config. Thanks.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You should have used joystick=0 :wink: and I do think that it does support multiple joysticks have to check the SDL docs to make sure as that is the library that provides the I/O functions,but it does use starting from 0 if there are more than one device.As for the joystick software not many manufacturers bother supporting Linux or Mac either :shock:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

SDL does support it but people have reported problems with either SDL or vega strike (memories a bit fuzzy on this) doesn't correctly identify the second (or additional) joysticks. Most of this can be found in the various joystick threads. Mostly the X52 threads iirc
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You might find some useful clues on this page in the wiki http://wiki.vega-strike.org/Manual:Conf ... s:Joystick it has lots of detail on analog/digital hatswitches. I have Logitech Wingman 3D that used to work quite well but it's now getting long in the tooth and has calibration issues so I am working on a config for one of my Wingman Rumble Pads that i have uses successfully with LockOn.BTW the Logitech profiler (Logitech's equivalent to Saitek SST software) does not recognize SDL at all :(

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pheonixstorm wrote:SDL does support it but people have reported problems with either SDL or vega strike (memories a bit fuzzy on this) doesn't correctly identify the second (or additional) joysticks. Most of this can be found in the various joystick threads. Mostly the X52 threads iirc
I don't think there's any problem with multi-joystick support, I've used (back when I had them) a PS-2 controller along with an old-fashioned genius joystick, and it worked fine.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

I have found a few issues and workarounds with the joysticks, if someone knows how tto rewrite the code for them i will go through all of them and help to find a solution
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hicks wrote:I have found a few issues and workarounds with the joysticks, if someone knows how tto rewrite the code for them i will go through all of them and help to find a solution
Meaning? (you lost me)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Something may have been lost from this thread....
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Karrahahu1
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Karrahahu1 »

you can set them up to control yaw by assigning them in the Saitek SST software to behave as "Mouse Axis X" (a trick I came up with for using pedals in BF1942),???