Adding More Asteroid Belts/Fields?

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
FattyPants
Trader
Trader

Adding More Asteroid Belts/Fields?

Post by FattyPants »

Hi all,

Well, I'm still plugging away at moddin' VS, and now I've run into a snag. I'd like to add far more asteroid belts and fields to every system, so that every system has at least one or two. =D

How do I go about doing this? I've looked into Milky_Way.xml and that doesn't look like the place to go, so I'm asking for help!

Hope you're all doin' awesome!

Dan
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Adding More Asteroid Belts/Fields?

Post by pheonixstorm »

Astergen (or hand edit) and units.csv The files you need to look over are going to be in data somewhere.. Check out the new asteroid models Deus did a few months ago to see whats going in soon(ish)
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
FattyPants
Trader
Trader

Post by FattyPants »

Thanks for pointing that out! Unfortunately, I've been through /data more times than I care to admit and I still haven't found anything that might control the number of asteroid belts and fields in star systems. Basically, what I'm trying to do is create a more effective asteroid mining option for my Eve Online port. I'm trying to see if I can make Eve better by giving it a more awesome flying experience instead of just pushing buttons and telling the ship where to fly. =)

Hopefully it works out, I'd really like to see about getting asteroid mining better and more lucrative. At this point, however, asteroids move too fast in most fields and I'm struggling to find out what to do to slow them down. It's bugging me. =(

Oh well. Any helpful suggestions are more than welcome!

Dan
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

For asteroid field speeds, you have to edit the "difficulty" attribute of "asteroid" elements in data/sectors xml files.

(I know...)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
FattyPants
Trader
Trader

Post by FattyPants »

Cephid_17.system

Code: Select all

<Asteroid name="" file="AFieldJumpThin" ri="0.0" rj="0.0" rk="0.0" si="0.0" sj="0.0" sk="0.0" x="-81750376.0" y="-30150176.0" z="-70781912.0"  />
There's a difficulty attrib?

I'm missing something somewhere. :(

Dan
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It's taking the default in that case, which I believe is in vegastrike.config
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Thats why we need to bring astergen back.. or at least remake it. It seems some of the older tools that have been cast aside and forgotten are needed once again. What OS are you running? If windows I can rebuild a copy in the next few days and upload it to svn or attach a copy to this thread (perhaps theres a copy listed in svn somewhere.. never know.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
FattyPants
Trader
Trader

Post by FattyPants »

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10. I got Astergen to work in command line, but the problem is is that I have very little idea how to use it. It's not very intuitive, and some of the jargon/feedback/options are a little hard to understand. Help? =D

Dan
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

If you can figure it out post some instructions and I'll see if we can make some sort of manual for it.. Don't know if there is anything in the wiki regarding astergen or not :(
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Off-topic post moved here
Wing Commander Universe