How to change the beginning ship

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

How to change the beginning ship

Post by esgaroth »

Over there in the vegatrek team we are encountering a strange "freezing" problem that we havent been able to overcome - and, even worse, even have no idea how to overcome it (the game isnt really freezing, framerate is still displayed and changes, you still can regularly exit via Q-escape, but nothing in the universe moves anymore...). I am therefore thinking seriously about moving the whole stuff over to the newest engine etc, that is, taking a up-to-date vegastrike install and just add our universe, weapons, ships etc. and change and remove some factions etc. A lot of work, but hopefully doable. However, i already encountered the first problem: how to change the starting ship ? In the good old times, you simply had to change the ship in the explore_universe file, but obviously, this doesnt work anymore. So where is the starting ship defined ?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: How to change the beginning ship

Post by klauss »

The main menu (coded in main_menu.py) starts a new game by loading a "new game template" savegame.

That's New_Game IIRC, or something like that.

All you have to do is fire up vegastrike with your campaign mission (ie: vegastrike explore_universe.mission), and set things up the way you want them to be at the beginning of a campaign, save the game, and rename everything in the savegame to New_Game (ie: the game itself and the folder with the csv describing the starting ship).

EDIT:

A good rule of thumb, though, is to strip from the savegame anything related to the dynamic universe, so that new games spawned from that save game get randomized universes. It is quite a deed, though, it requires intimate knowledge of the savegame format.

You can hardcode your campaign script not to initialize the dynamic universe for that operation instead, I think it's in campaign.py or something like that. When you have your New_Game created you can revert that change.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
toanphuc
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by toanphuc »

Can we integrate VS engine with other API like OSG or other render engine like Delta3d and Ogre?
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

toanphuc wrote:Can we integrate VS engine with other API like OSG or other render engine like Delta3d and Ogre?
There's been an ongoing attempt to port to Ogre, but it's an enormous amount of work.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro