I've got a lot of time...

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
shybold
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

I've got a lot of time...

Post by shybold »

So this is my first post on the forum, although I've been playing/testing extensively for a while. I started on 0.40, then 0.43 (which I still like best somewhat). Then 0.50 and now I'm "playing" SVN. AWESOME. I've never experienced a game this vast (space is vast after all). But excellent artwork/graphics, great gameplay, exceptional reality in physics/dimensions/detail. Truly impressive.

I started the game (0.40) on linux with no manual and just figured it out. Got my trade routes going, upgraded, killed, loved it. Then I discovered this forum and other resources. Did you know you can select neutral target by pressing "n" and "N" and jettison cargo by going to your manifest and pressing "z"? Yeah, now I know. Then I discovered a windoze version and 0.43 and 0.50 and SVN. Excellent. Still, in 0.43 I could repeatedly accept Defend missions and earn 300k at a time by slaughtering 17 pirates with my unedited legit maxed out Llama. I got rich, made the news (flooded the news) and it was AWESOME. But I had to get the latest version and now I can't play without autopilot and all those new fancy, more realistic stats on cargo items. But what happened to Hull Upgrades?! And Aeran armor?? Why is the Llama SO weak now?! Well that one I kind of get, but still...

That being said - I have a problem... any game I play (also anything I do in life), I get tired of once I figure it out and do it all. SO, I always end up picking it apart. This is the case with VS. Although a great deal of time and work has obviously gone into this game, there is so much left to do ("understaffed", I know). I find myself more entertained now with the editing than the actual gameplay. I've made *Lauktk's* Llama a bit more mechanically upgraded (and named it Ellie). He was, after all, the kind of guy that would have done some work and tweaks on his own ship. I made a much needed stock Goddard. And really, the Andolians would not have made a flying fortress as BADASS as the Goddard only to cripple it with underpowered turning jets. I'm certain that if someone were to put that much technology, time, and money into that spacebeast, they would have surely mounted Clydesdale turn jets on it SOMEHOW. But really it only weighs 4800 tons, so it wouldn't be THAT difficult. So I did that - well balanced of course (0.70 turning response). Then I noticed the new Derivative is backwards (right? am I right? Beautiful model though), and I missed the old Derivative, so I made a new Purist fighter (stock and milspec) with the old model named the Partisan (look it up). Also as a temp/partial fix for the aforementioned lack of armor and hull upgrades, I doubled the strength of purchasable armor upgrades. I noticed - well after getting my ass handed to me many times - that the Aerans have ships with more than twice the armor as I could even buy! So yeah, file that in the "not fair" category right behind the swarms they usually come in. Seriously, an enemy that slaughters a maxed out Goddard or Lancelot in a few seconds?? I thought the Admonisher maxed out would do it, but nope, too slow. And really, a Penetrator on the Areus??? **SIX** Photon MKIII's on the Ariston?? BAH. But it's cool. I'll find a way to defeat them without editing them. Sorry for the rant, but I guess my point is - hull upgrades would be nice. Among other things. Also, I may obsessively endeavor to keep things well balanced, but sometimes I can't help but exploit the stock, save, sell, reload method. It's going to happen eventually anyway, why not buy all the AI cores a commerce center has, save, sell them back, and load your game having all the items you purchased, while they still have the same number available to further purchase?? Also works nicely for that single Razor gun the barracks has when you have two mounts to match.

Sorry, long post, guess I'll quit now. This is my contribution for now I suppose. But thank you much to the designers/contributors for this awesome game. I was addicted to playing it, and now even further, I'm addicted to modifying some aspects of it. I haven't bothered with the textures or anything, as those seem to be well taken care of, even to the fault of neglecting the smaller details maybe, but beautiful work, really. And the easy stuff gives me something to do... as I have a lot of time....

Now off to kill Oswald again... I hate that guy....

Thanks again.
Shybold
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: I've got a lot of time...

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome shybold glad your having fun both in game and out with your hacking :lol: Yeah the llama was down graded slightly it only has light gun mounts now still a good ship after you pimp her out.If you have specific questions on the code just ask 8) someone will most likely answer.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2