Online/Multiplayer?

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
Maxaxle
Mercenary
Mercenary

Online/Multiplayer?

Post by Maxaxle »

I'm very impressed with VegaStrike's current status, but is there ANY possibility for networking, online play, or multiplayer? I'd even be satisfied with a LAN-party-style network system!

Sidenote: servers schmervers. Just get people to form clans, because clans make servers, and servers make more people wanting (and being able to) play online.
ilikepie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ilikepie »

Believe it's in the werks.

If you need an online timewaster I believe there's a 2D flash-based Multiplayer game not too different from this, gecko-games.com or something.
Maxaxle
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Maxaxle »

>< I just now played 5.0 (I haven't played since 4.3 or so!!!), and yes, it HAS multiplayer, but it said "Error 0" when I tried to connect. Well, aside from being insanely buggy (I guess), it works.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The person who is running the only multiplayer server we have just set up a new 8-core computer, but I believe it was rebooted recently and I can't connect to it either. Just be patient.

I tried to work on making it simple to start up your own server for a deathmatch game over LAN or the Internet.

For deathmatch you just run the "vegaserver" program, and then you open up Vega Strike and connect to it via. "localhost" if it is on the same computer, or from the other computer you use the IP address that is displayed on the console, or from running "ifconfig".

There is a page or two in the Player's Guide PDF (in the documentation folder) that describes in more detail how to set up a server.

If you want to set up a full server that requires slightly more setup if you want an official server. If you want to use your own accounts, you will need to run the "cgi-accountserver" which is included, but requires Python and some configuration of its own.