Vega Strike Logo

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Vega Strike Logo

Post by pyramid »

The VS logo on the new web page is excellent. I think it would be good to know which font was used here. My recommendation is to use the same font inside VS itself. Tried that with the quit button but the closest I could come to was the "crackpot" font.
Any hints?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Vega Strike Logo

Post by pyramid »

Meanwhile I have contacted zaydana, the author and designer of our web page.
The font used is here is "Megalomania". It seems that a glow effect was applied, though the project files are in photoshop format and I could not reproduce them on my linux machine (a good example why cross-platform open source projects should not constrain themselves to closed proprietary formats). Any help or hints with the conversion to svgz (inkscape) format would be appreciated.

The project files are now submitted to SVN (trunk/vega-proj/webpage/vegastrike_zaydana.zip)

[edit]
My fault, actually I forgot that photoshop is a raster image program. So actually psd files can be loaded by GIMP. Unfortunately the nice glow effect of the original logo is not there.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

It looks fairly basic. Try 'alpha to selection', grow the selection by 5 pixels, feather it by 10, create a new layer behind the text* and fill with white. Vary the grow/feather values until you find the right mix.

*Actually it looks like it's the above process with the original shape then cut out of the 'glow' layer - the text is transparent
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

That was very useful as I don't know all gimp functionalities.
The desired glow effect can be achieved with grow=2, feather=6, fill color=bfb8fe, and fill opacity=80. The glow layer needs to be below the font layer for the main characters to appear cut out.