Can Vega Strike support Alpha Mapping?

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Can Vega Strike support Alpha Mapping?

Post by Oblivion »

okay, coz i've never used alpha/opacity maps in my previous models before, so does it? :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

definitely... it's got that support...
ideally the parts with lots of transparency are separated out into a separate material...we get a lot better compression out of textures without alpha--so separating the mesh into the clear part and the nonclear part would be ideal

remember that bump and normal maps are currently supported--so please continue to provide them, and always orient your textures so that the plane's forward is up in the texture (stuff perpendicular to the forward direction should have up, not right be up on the texture)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

confused on this part. :S
(stuff perpendicular to the forward direction should have up, not right be up on the texture)
I just finished a mesh for Shizong, and I'm reorienting the UV islands so that the forward is facing up. is that correct?
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

fantastic.... there are ways we can get around forward=up...but making it that way in the first place will save us at least 20 minutes down the line
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/