Aera/Rlaan names

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Aera/Rlaan names

Post by prolog »

I'm making some modifications to dynamic_mission.py, mostly to add some variance to the text. Things like (for a bounty mission) "Mr. Foster, a confed from Ross 248, has broken his contract with us, and we wish to collect a large sum of damages."

So that's fine for the various human factions, but what kind of names do the Aera and Rlaan have?
Current rig: Refurbished Robin
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

There is no canon Aera and Rlaan spelling or grammar yet , so feel free to mix up syllabes used in their respective system names. (Aera and Rlaan space are pretty hard to navigate , thanks to the hundreds of systems all sounding alike !)

Could be like :

"Aeguh commander Thutmaheil has been a thorn to the Andolian's side lately , and has a long record of atrocities. He is currently leading the Permanganate squadron with an Aevant. Beware of possible aeran reinforcements."

Or :

"The rlaan enforcer Ptzzaantrkab is reported to command a fleet of Lodur starfishes heading towards a vital aeran relay. By eliminating it , you will not only protect our assets but also decapitate the local rlaan command. Capture of Ptzzaantrkab is optional."
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@prolog: bear in mind, anything we can spell is probably not what it really sounds like. For Rlaans, find some of their names. Like in the planets list of rlaans, perhaps. For Aerans, I don't know, :wink: .
@Stakhanov: The Rlaan names sounded good enough, the Aeran ones.. probably not. The greek names are confed assignations. Not truly how they sound. Given that aerans have two sound producing organs on the sides of the cheeks, and not on the mouth, they probably talk in dolphin-like whistles and lizard like tch tch's.

But Aerans are technophiles, so their actual names could probably be translated into terran as serial numbers and some info (like planet of birth, etc.). e.g. Commander AR 23134-Saurokephalon, or Civilian ZU 6565-Chloranthropos. :lol:

JackS is the one to ask. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

Nah , the aeran ship names are greek - but not the squads. They use oxide names , and chemistry is supposed to be universal - although the Uln using adverbs as squad names are weird (go go Foolishly Squadron :lol:)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...