Python documentation

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Python documentation

Post by prolog »

Hi all,

Is there a Python equivalent of, say, Javadoc for Java? I'm playing around with doing some scripting for VS (I know a little Python), and was just wondering what exactly I could do with the VS and other Python modules.

Also, is there anyone on the dev team I could ask Python-related questions? I seem to recall dandandaman being that guy, but I can't remember...
Current rig: Refurbished Robin
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Yup, I'm probably the best for first port of call on python help :-)

There exists a documentation mechanism for python, but it isn't particularly used in our codebase :-/

Some basic doc exists here:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/manua ... x.html#i28

Though that is now incomplete (but most important functions appear in the listing there), partially deprecated (quests still exist, but aren't really used), and sometimes innaccurate (it'd be best to check on the arguments for each function eithe rby looking at an existing module, or at the function itself.

Just give a hoi whenever you need anything :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Python documentation

Post by Zeog »

prolog wrote:Is there a Python equivalent of, say, Javadoc for Java?
You can use Doxygen for Python. Its syntax is very similar to Javadoc. Unfortunately the current VS code isn't that well documented and what exists is somewhat deprecated. :(