How to contribute?

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
jfbenck
Explorer
Explorer

How to contribute?

Post by jfbenck »

Hi,

I've been playing VS for some time now and I really like the game. I think i can manage to have some spare time in which I'd like to contribute. I've a bachelor in computer science and a major in artificial intelligence. OpenGL programming knownledge I unfortunally don't posses. Perhaps contributing code to the higher level game parts (economics e.g.) is a possibility? Any pointers where I could start and what could be done?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Contact spiritplumber, she's around the Wing Commander Universe forums, she's been doing AI stuff for a while, and understands it pretty well - and will be able give you lots of pointers. The AI needs some serious work, and there's not many people who can actually do that work, so it will be very appreciated.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Also,

Contact Hellcatv (lead developer), JackS (Minister of Information - although currently on vacation), dandandaman & peteyg. From a coding perspective, these people can usually tell you what needs to be looked at code wise. Otherwise, read the forums, review posts concerning bugs, missing/wanted features etc and see if you can develop code for that.

Re: Economics. I have some structural ideas for this, but since I can't code I'm limited on what I can do. If you want to discuss this, send me a PM.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

I'm willling to help in improving people graphics design.

Post by Oblivion »

I noticed that the units you talk to at bars are badly hand-drawn and have no lower extremities. :)
I've no formal graphic designing training but I'm very artistic with pen and paper (just starting to acclimatize to computer graphics design - learning the basics of 3d modelling). And I think I can improve the models, if only I could get hold of concept arts for CREATURES not ships , so I could base the drawings on something. The descriptions on Wiki are not enough. I make 3 or 4 drawings based on it and it looks WRONG. Anyway How do I contribute sprites (They're sprites right? What filetype do you use?)

Who has photographed a living breathing rlaan? I want pictures of everything. Who do I contact? How about art styles, designs. I want to help.

astepintooblivion@yahoo.com

This is a sample: A female andolian I made a few hours ago. I'll finish her in a day's work. Don't like it? It's still not finished. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
drvoke
Merchant
Merchant

Post by drvoke »

That's very nice looking. Good job!
My poems crush bones into powder,
You mumble like a coward,
I'm Mos Def, you need to speak louder!
(Speed Law)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yeah... amazing.
I don't think there's concept art about them.
So... feel free to create such a thing (which is especially needed, and which you seem to be especially good at).

However... if you could contact JackS prior to commiting to it, it would be best (I'm not authoritative here when it comes to game content - JackS is).
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Yay. Thanks you liked them. JackS has contacted me, I hope he didn't get too off-putted by my excitemnet. :D I think the Aera I've drawn is okay as the final concept for Aerans. Check out the image of an aeran and a confed in the content dev and art forum.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Looks pretty good on it's own, although I don't agree that the current fixers (in CVS at least) are "badly hand-drawn". They just make the bases have a kind of graphic novel style to them, I think it's kind of cool.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Me neither (think that they're badly drawn). In fact, if base art matched, it would be great - Monkey Island, anyone?
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

You serious? What do you think of making VS characters in japanese anime? haha
A Step Into Oblivion