CVS data file cleaning

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

CVS data file cleaning

Post by smbarbour »

I am willing to go through the units.csv file for CVS and replace all of the old upgrade references with the new ones. (I'm sure other people have noticed that almost everywhere you can land only has weapons and ammo available for upgrades (This is because EVERYTHING else got renamed). I also found a few spelling errors that are preventing some cargo from appearing.

Basically I have a few questions:
1) Should I do this now or wait until later releases?
2) Is there a newer version than what is currently in CVS?
3) Have we figured out why some categories aren't appearing even when the entries are correct? (i.e. Sensors and Shady_Mechanic)
4) Are there any entries we would like added? I know there are some new categories as well as the renamed ones.
5) Should I replace the "Shield Capacitor" entries with "SPEC Capacitor" entries?

All comments are welcome. (How ironic. I just recently added the non-contributor line to my sig. :))
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Please don't! At least, not yet ;-) In addition to the new upgrades, there'll be a new upgrade system going in which'll make any changes on your part (for the time being), a general waste of time. :-) It's great that you want to help, but the file just isn't quite in the state ready to be accepting much atm (hopefully it won't be too much longer) ... I'll be sure to let you know when it's good :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
eddit
Merchant
Merchant

Post by eddit »

When you modify the upgrades system, is it possible for you to take some time out and document it in the wiki? I'd be happy to help out with cleaning up the database in the wiki once you make the changes.
"beauty is skin deep
but samples with keratin
are just plain ugly"
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

EDIT: dandandaman (sorry, accidently deleted post .. here is a rescue attempt)

So, is there going to be a new section for available upgrades in units.csv or are there going to be even more categories?

Basically, can you give me an idea of what else is being done and how it will affect units.csv? This is such a great game and I feel I should contribute in some way (besides cleaning up the plowshare HUD image so it would actually work)

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

But if you contribute, you'll have to change your signature...
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

<quick comment>

Would it be better to change the name convention for Double Shield to Dual Shield, to match the Quad Shield name convention?
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Basically, between all of us, we have an idea of what is to do (I sent a summary to the devel list a little while back that summarised where we were at, and where we were going. If you are interested, much of that is still applicable).

Effectively, wrt the upgrades, (not knowing exactly what you mean by 'new section'), we are going to be rearranging/modifying what is there a bit, in terms of availability. What is going to change the most (as far as I am aware), is the way they are applied to each of the ships, and indeed *what* is applied to each of teh ships (ie ships are being rebalanced ;-) ). I'm short on specifics in that regard because how it happens will be decided *when* it happens ;-)

Hope that answers slightly more questions than it raises, otherwise just post again, or try and catch me in irc :-)

silverlain: good point :-) I know you've got a couple of others wrt naming in teh file, from when we talked it over ... if you could keep track of 'em so they can be dealt with once upgrades (in terms of applying them) are through, it'd be great :-D

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

In regards to "new section", what I meant was "Will the upgrades still be listed under cargo_import, or will they have a new field that they are defined in?"

I may just flesh out some changes to units.csv in the interim so that people who are currently playing the CVS version can buy upgrades at more than just Ocean planets and Mining bases. It shouldn't be too much work to do, and I would definately not put it in the CVS data set (That's for official stuff ;))

Also, how active is IRC? Is it configured so that most people don't see the conversations going on? I've only seen conversation when I was reporting a problem with the forums, but never any other time (But there are always people there).

Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

dandandaman wrote:silverlain: good point :-) I know you've got a couple of others wrt naming in teh file, from when we talked it over ... if you could keep track of 'em so they can be dealt with once upgrades (in terms of applying them) are through, it'd be great :-D

Dan.a
Will do.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!