VSTrade: 0.3.0.0 (3 july 2008)

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote: yerh, sound like you know what you're doing 8)

Here is a new alpha version, to test what I've done so far...
Okay, I tried the alpha, no new explosions. I like the toolbar, but the buttons are too narrow. Ideally they would be wide enough to contain their text. (Well, ideally they would have images and text and you could select one or both, but I don't think images would add much to the equation at this point.)

And I kind of know what I'm doing, but I'm no programmer... I'm more the sysadmin type. Still, I have something to contribute (for example I'm currently working on some new keyboard templates, I couldn't successfully download the old ones and the web keymap generator is currently broken - so there are NO vegastrike keymaps available! whee!)
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

drinkypoo wrote:
GoldenGnu wrote: yerh, sound like you know what you're doing 8)

Here is a new alpha version, to test what I've done so far...
Okay, I tried the alpha, no new explosions. I like the toolbar, but the buttons are too narrow. Ideally they would be wide enough to contain their text. (Well, ideally they would have images and text and you could select one or both, but I don't think images would add much to the equation at this point.)
Okay, I just wanted to make the buttons as small as possible and to take up as little space as possible. But, I'll make them bigger...
I might even try to make some images for the buttons, but, it won't get to high priority...

drinkypoo wrote:And I kind of know what I'm doing, but I'm no programmer... I'm more the sysadmin type. Still, I have something to contribute
You sure have... VSTrade already improved quite a bit, from your suggestion, IMHO. Also, your help with the tool tips will help make VSTrade a lot more usable! :)

drinkypoo wrote:(for example I'm currently working on some new keyboard templates, I couldn't successfully download the old ones and the web keymap generator is currently broken - so there are NO vegastrike keymaps available! whee!)
Is that a hint for me to include an keymap editor for Vega Strike in VSTrade? :lol:
I'll be doing a framework for keys input anyway (to change the vegamap keys), so if you think it could be useful, I'll try to do it...

Anyway, now it's time to write some code...
I'll start with making vegamap controllable by keys today...
Hopefully, I'll have something to show later today and release a new alpha...
VSTrade - A Merchants Guide to Intergalactic Trading!
0.3.0.0 Stable (3 july 2008)
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:
drinkypoo wrote:(for example I'm currently working on some new keyboard templates, I couldn't successfully download the old ones and the web keymap generator is currently broken - so there are NO vegastrike keymaps available! whee!)
Is that a hint for me to include an keymap editor for Vega Strike in VSTrade? :lol:
I'll be doing a framework for keys input anyway (to change the vegamap keys), so if you think it could be useful, I'll try to do it...
Actually, one of the most useful tools I could think of would be not just to let you configure keys - you CAN do that manually in the config file and it is honestly not hard - but to produce a printable keymap from the config file! Ideally it would have support for joystick images too, but that would probably be best done much, much later, because there are so many joysticks. You know where the buttons and such are on a two-axis, two-button joystick; after that they could be anywhere.

What I have done to make printable keymaps (I'm all but done - I need to color-code them, mostly) is to use xmodmap to print out a postscript keymap which I used for the keyboard layout - I wanted something printable, clean, and simple. Then I loaded them into Scribus (I'm on Linux, no InDesign here) :) and made text areas for all the keys with the key cap contents on them. I did this only for en-us but the template would work for any 104-or-less key keyboard. Text and keycap drawings are on separate layers. You then have to juggle text attributes to get things to fit in the cells.

For software, it would be a much easier task. There's a bunch of text areas and they get filled in. It should be possible to compute the space the text takes up, and just keep sizing it down in half-point increments until it fits; the leading can be determined simply by the number of lines of text assuming you use a specific, given font.
GoldenGnu wrote:Anyway, now it's time to write some code...
I'll start with making vegamap controllable by keys today...
Hopefully, I'll have something to show later today and release a new alpha...
Very nice. I'm really enjoying the changes so far. I hope to get to work on tooltips soon, I've just been busy with a contract that's gone awry (I was supposed to be done two days ago) :(
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

@GoldenGnu Here's a file with the new files in it. I didn't repack the whole thing. I'm not sure I didn't mess up somehow but even if you can't use them you can at least look at them. I think I included at least one file I didn't change, sorry if that's confusing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

@drinkypoo

I have downloaded the language files, but, I didn't have time to include them in this release... I'll do it tomorrow, now it's bed time... here is the next alpha

Download: VSTrade: 0.2.0.2 ~870KB (jar and source)

Here is the change log, since 0.2.0.1:

New Features:
-Key control of vegamap (Keys hardcoded ATM)
-lager buttons on the vegamap toolbar
-Changes to price user interface (to follow the changes to trade)

Known Issues:
-Splash screen can't be translated (Won't fix)
-Danish translation is incomplete
-Zooming with both keys and mouse on vegamap, may result in bad behavior.

ToDo:
-Control keys editor
-Cargo: max price, min price, best buy base, best sell base
-Update tool tips (with the help of drinkypoo)

I especially need feedback on:
-Move/scroll speed of vegamap (useing the keys)
-Key shortcuts...

Here is a fast run down of the current keys:
Toggle show/hide - on/off:
N = Names
J = Jump Lines
L = Jumpless Systems
F = Factions
C = Sectors
B = Sector Boxes
R = Invert Y-Axis
Zoom:
Z = Zoom Inn
Z + Shift = Zoom Out
X = Zoom Out
Move..:
W = Up
D = Left
S = Down
A = Right
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

drinkypoo wrote:Actually, one of the most useful tools I could think of would be not just to let you configure keys - you CAN do that manually in the config file and it is honestly not hard - but to produce a printable keymap from the config file! Ideally it would have support for joystick images too, but that would probably be best done much, much later, because there are so many joysticks. You know where the buttons and such are on a two-axis, two-button joystick; after that they could be anywhere.

What I have done to make printable keymaps (I'm all but done - I need to color-code them, mostly) is to use xmodmap to print out a postscript keymap which I used for the keyboard layout - I wanted something printable, clean, and simple. Then I loaded them into Scribus (I'm on Linux, no InDesign here) :) and made text areas for all the keys with the key cap contents on them. I did this only for en-us but the template would work for any 104-or-less key keyboard. Text and keycap drawings are on separate layers. You then have to juggle text attributes to get things to fit in the cells.

For software, it would be a much easier task. There's a bunch of text areas and they get filled in. It should be possible to compute the space the text takes up, and just keep sizing it down in half-point increments until it fits; the leading can be determined simply by the number of lines of text assuming you use a specific, given font.
Yerh, should be possible... I've never tried to print something trough Java before, but, I'm sure It's not to hard. I'll try to do it after I complete your other requests...
drinkypoo wrote:Very nice. I'm really enjoying the changes so far. I hope to get to work on tooltips soon, I've just been busy with a contract that's gone awry (I was supposed to be done two days ago) :(
I happy that you like the changes... I changed the tooltips in this version (I had to use diff.exe, to find your changes, but, it all work out okay). And thank you very much for your help :)

Download: VSTrade: 0.2.0.3 ~870KB (jar and source)

Here is the change log, since 0.2.0.2:

New Features:
-Tooltips updated throughout the program (Thanks to drinkypoo)
-Vegamap: Zooming with the mouse now updates the zoom combobox value
-Vegamap: Moving and zooming improved (moving diagonally is now also possible)
-Vegamap: Zoom comboboxs input is now validated

Known Issues:
-Vegamap: System combobox key presses activates vegamap key controls
-Vegamap is very slow...

ToDo:
-Control keys editor
-Update tool tips (with the help of drinkypoo)

I still need some feedback on:
-Move/scroll speed of vegamap (using the keys)
-And the key shortcuts, please propose changes for the default keys

I also have some ideas of my own for vegamap, I'll like to hear your opinion about them:
-Showing the path in a sidebar
-Add system to end of path ([shift] + [left click] on system on the map OR select system from system combobox and press [Add To Path] button)
-Using differend colors for each Sector Box.
Last edited by GoldenGnu on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:I still need some feedback on:
-Move/scroll speed of vegamap (using the keys)
-And the key shortcuts, please propose changes for the default keys
Default keys? Arrows to pan, and z/Z for zoom in/out respectively. Control-F or the slash (/) key should jump to the search box, and hitting enter should select the system whose name is currently there.

I have to admit I didn't try the panning keys - could you please put them into the application's help? Every time I think about it I start to look for where I saved the keys, and then some Uln a*hole in a Dodo starts trying to tractor me into something, and I get distracted :)

I will say that vsmap inside vstrade is FAR slower than vsmap by itself. Just drawing the initial map on which all systems are shown takes what seems like forever. And I'm running this application on a Core Duo :) (I am DISPLAYING it on a P3 850, but it's RUNNING on the core duo, same machine that's running vegastrike - the still fully up-to-date SVN. I just did a SVN update with no changes today.)

Could you please draw a shadow behind units selected in vsmap? It can be VERY hard to read the system names. It would be great to have a 50% alpha'd drop shadow wrapped 1 pixel around the text, ho ho, but I would definitely settle for black. And anyway the display is too slow right now as it is. Maybe you could do some kind of occlusion test where things which won't really be visible aren't drawn? That way when there's like 200 systems stacked on top of one another in the fully zoomed out view, you would only have to display two or three of them? But I know you didn't write vsmap originally and this might be harder than it sounds...

And it would be GREAT if you could replace the pulldown zoom control with a slider with the zoom level shown next to it, it would be a more logical control for zoom level (in keeping with other applications etc.) The numbers don't really explain much (they're logical, but still, to the average user?) and so I would go with "in" at one end of the gauge, and "out" at the other. I've also seen gauges which are labeled with images, for example a small picture and a bigger picture. But as we've discussed before, we like text.

Maybe I'll start trying to think of what the icons should look like if you ever want to put them in :)

Sorry I haven't done the panning test, but I can tell you that ALL of vsmap is too slow!
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

drinkypoo wrote:Default keys? Arrows to pan, and z/Z for zoom in/out respectively. Control-F or the slash (/) key should jump to the search box, and hitting enter should select the system whose name is currently there.
The Arrow keys is already used to move focus, so that is not really an option. ATM they are WASD...
drinkypoo wrote:I have to admit I didn't try the panning keys - could you please put them into the application's help? Every time I think about it I start to look for where I saved the keys, and then some Uln a*hole in a Dodo starts trying to tractor me into something, and I get distracted :)
sure, I'll put them in the readme file... eventually I'll add a tab to changes the keys...
drinkypoo wrote:I will say that vsmap inside vstrade is FAR slower than vsmap by itself. Just drawing the initial map on which all systems are shown takes what seems like forever. And I'm running this application on a Core Duo :) (I am DISPLAYING it on a P3 850, but it's RUNNING on the core duo, same machine that's running vegastrike - the still fully up-to-date SVN. I just did a SVN update with no changes today.)
The fun thing is that it does check if objects is in view before drawing them (which the original didn't). I did change the drawing routine in the 0.2.0.3 version, I'll change it back, if you can see a difference between 0.2.0.2 and 0.2.0.3...

The map draws smooth on my machine, but, that's a quad core, running vista...
drinkypoo wrote:Could you please draw a shadow behind units selected in vsmap? It can be VERY hard to read the system names. It would be great to have a 50% alpha'd drop shadow wrapped 1 pixel around the text, ho ho, but I would definitely settle for black. And anyway the display is too slow right now as it is.
yerh, I can do that... It might make vegamap somewhat slower, but not by much
drinkypoo wrote:Maybe you could do some kind of occlusion test where things which won't really be visible aren't drawn? That way when there's like 200 systems stacked on top of one another in the fully zoomed out view, you would only have to display two or three of them? But I know you didn't write vsmap originally and this might be harder than it sounds...
It's a great idea, but, as you guessed I don't know how to do it...
But, I'll add it to my ToDo list, and try to read up on the subject, and make some improvements...
drinkypoo wrote:And it would be GREAT if you could replace the pulldown zoom control with a slider with the zoom level shown next to it, it would be a more logical control for zoom level (in keeping with other applications etc.) The numbers don't really explain much (they're logical, but still, to the average user?) and so I would go with "in" at one end of the gauge, and "out" at the other. I've also seen gauges which are labeled with images, for example a small picture and a bigger picture. But as we've discussed before, we like text.
well the down side of a slider is that there is a maximum and minimum... currently you can zoom in as much as you like... you wouldn't be able to that with a slider... But, I do agree that the numbers is not exactly telling, but I don't know how to change them for the better... I wanted to keep the range within five digs (for the most parts).
drinkypoo wrote:Maybe I'll start trying to think of what the icons should look like if you ever want to put them in :)
please do... and if you got some mad drawing skills, you're also welcome to create the icons yourself...
drinkypoo wrote:Sorry I haven't done the panning test, but I can tell you that ALL of vsmap is too slow!
I know It's not optimal... But, I know little of what to do about it...
But I'll try to create some logic that minimize that draw calls, as you suggested...

EDIT:
I profiled the 0.2.0.3 version, and It's indeed extremely slow...
I optimized It, the best I know. The next alpha should be faster then both the original and the previous versions of VSTrade.

I didn't do all the fancy code you suggested, yet... so with that done (some day), we might even hit something usable...
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

Here is the next alpha, that fix the slow vegamap in 0.2.0.3

Download: VSTrade: 0.2.0.4b ~880KB (jar and source)

Here is the change log, since 0.2.0.3:

New Features:
-vegamap: Path names now got a black semi-transparent box behind them
-vegamap: Optimized

Known Issues:
-Vegamap: System combobox key presses activates vegamap key controls

ToDo:
-Control keys editor

EDIT:
Forgot to include the key shortcuts in the readme file, sigh...
0.2.0.4b is uploaded with the keys in the readme file
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:-vegamap: Path names now got a black semi-transparent box behind them
-vegamap: Optimized
I'm downloading now and I'll try this one as soon as I can. My main system is a Core Duo T2600 with 2GB RAM, but the system I actually want to view maps on has just slid still further. Now, the apps are actually running on the core duo, but they're displaying on an iOpener with a K6-200 :) However, the actual vsmap is like ten times faster on that system than 0.2.0.3, no lie. I'll let you know about this new release.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

Sorry it took so long, I've been busy. vstrade crashes:

drink@sec2lpt7-linux:~/Desktop/vst$ java -jar vstrade.jar
(Info) Starting VSTrade 0.2.0.4
(Info) Language: English (United States)
(Info) Settings loaded (vstrade_settings.xml)
(Info) Readme loaded (readme.txt)
(Info) Moduls loaded (GUI)
(Info) Assume SVN version (master_part_list.csv)
Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1938)
at vstrade.data.bases.MasterPartListReader.processLine(MasterPartListReader.java:129)
at vstrade.data.bases.MasterPartListReader.read(MasterPartListReader.java:109)
at vstrade.data.bases.MasterPartListReader.load(MasterPartListReader.java:69)
at vstrade.data.bases.Bases.<init>(Bases.java:73)
at vstrade.io.DataCreater.run(DataCreater.java:48)
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

@drinkypoo

As always a pleasure to hear from you... thou, you bring bad news.. ;)

It's properly changes to the latest SVN/Beta/whatever...
I'll download the latest files from SVN soon and see if I can make a fix...

The traceback will be very useful, thank you... :)
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:It's properly changes to the latest SVN/Beta/whatever...
I'll download the latest files from SVN soon and see if I can make a fix...
If you ever need individual files from the SVN and don't want to fetch them yourself, let me know. I am tracking SVN closely (although the only change recently has been build files for OSX...)
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

@drinkypoo

I can get the files quit easy, but, I would love it, if you informed me when changes was made to master_part_list.csv or units.csv...

Most likely, if the changes will affect VSTrade, it'll crash... (As it does ATM.)
I'll try to make some better error handling, when I fix the bug you reported...

If I can make a reasonable fix, I'll also release a new stable (after you've tested the alpha, if you have time?). As it's a must, to have a working stable...

EDIT:
Sorry, I can't reproduce the error...
Could you please post the master_part_list.csv and units.csv files that coursed this problem? It'll help me a great deal...
ATM. there have been no changes to the files in SVN, for the last 5 weeks, so that's not it...
Last edited by GoldenGnu on Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Well, now I understand

Post by drinkypoo »

*I* broke the thing, by altering the files!

I have been working on ship modification... As far as I know all my changes are legal although I can't seem to repair anything based on a Thales (core dump)

Is it never possible to modify these files and have vstrade keep working? Because if not I have to stop using it :(
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

It is possible...
All you have to is to stick with the format... you're master_part_list.csv must be ill formed...
But, please post them anyway... I might be able to make the parser more flexible...
As far as I can see, you're missing some quotes (") around some strings...
All the strings in master_part_list.csv post 0.4.3 use quotes around them...
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:It is possible...
All you have to is to stick with the format... you're master_part_list.csv must be ill formed...
But, please post them anyway... I might be able to make the parser more flexible...
As far as I can see, you're missing some quotes (") around some strings...
All the strings in master_part_list.csv post 0.4.3 use quotes around them...
Let me play with the file more before I post it, and at least take out vessels that don't work right (I'll just revert and then re-make my changes, it's safest/easiest.) I'm using Openoffice.org spreadsheet to manipulate the files, it loads them in OK but maybe it's not good enough about saving them (At least with defaults.)
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

ohh please post them, even thou they don't work... It's such a rich opportunity to make the parser better at error handling...
You can always post you're new files, with working ships etc. later... :)
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

[quote="GoldenGnu"]ohh please post them, even thou they don't work... It's such a rich opportunity to make the parser better at error handling...
You can always post you're new files, with working ships etc. later... :)[/quote]

OK, here they are. the Thales and Periander crash vegstrike when you try to repair them but otherwise work correctly. (It's a shame, too) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

Sorry for the waiting time... I've been on a small vacation... And thank you for the files, I really appreciate your effort...

I'll start debugging right away... And see if I can make it run with your files, or at least make some good error handling...

I would also like to draw your attention to vs_validator, which feature a Vega Strike data validator... which should be helpful for you, when you edit the CSV files yourself :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It may also highlight some other typo's and misplacements as well :wink: as most of the bugs that are being reported ATM are data side as far as i can decipher.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

@loki1950

I never tried it myself, that's why my information are so shallow ;)
Thank you for elaborating... :)

@drinkypoo

The error is coursed by the two last lines of master_part_list.csv:

Code: Select all

"DummySentinel1","DUMMYSENTINELS",4000,20,0,
"DummySentinel2","DUMMYSENTINELS",4000,20,0,
They are to short... if you remove them, VSTrade should run again...

I'll properly move to a CSV library... It could improve the load speed and make VStrade more flexible... so the parser doesn't break as easy... (just small changes to layout of master_part_list.csv or units.csv will break the parser ATM)

I might take some time before I can release anything usable, thou...

I'm also working on making VSTrade compatible with all the mods. thou, it's possible the make it work ATM (renaming and moving the used files). I think a better solution is needed...

EDIT:
It's not true that the lines are to short! Removing them will make VSTrade 0.2.0.4b run, thou... Anyway, I got it fixed now...
I implemented the javacsv library, and not only did it fix the error, it's also a lot faster... :)
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:

Code: Select all

"DummySentinel1","DUMMYSENTINELS",4000,20,0,
"DummySentinel2","DUMMYSENTINELS",4000,20,0,
I've been wondering about those lines myself. I certainly didn't put them there. :) I've had DUMMYSENTINELS cargo missions show up. Looks, uh, silly.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The dummy sentinels where added to keep the engine look ups of units.csv from reading past the end of the file :wink: C and C++ don't have memory management.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

loki1950 wrote:The dummy sentinels where added to keep the engine look ups of units.csv from reading past the end of the file :wink: C and C++ don't have memory management.
But uh, you do have access to functions that will tell you how long a file is... I'm no programmer, but I know that. flock the file so that it can't be written, read the size, start reading the file...