VSTrade: 0.3.0.0 (3 july 2008)

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

Thank you! :D

Please continue to report any errors you encounter, I don't play the SVN version, so I'm unlikely to discover these errors myself. Feature requests are also very welcome. :)
VSTrade - A Merchants Guide to Intergalactic Trading!
0.3.0.0 Stable (3 july 2008)
RBerenguel
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Works smoothly

Post by RBerenguel »

Now it's perfect, keep it up!
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

New Beta Released!

This release is properly that last release before 0.2.0.0 (if no bugs are found). No extra features will be added.

If anyone is interested in translating VSTrade to their language, please contact me (my email is in the readme file) or reply here...

Download: VSTrade: 0.1.1.0 ~770KB (jar and source)

NOTE: This release require Java Runtime Environment 6u2 (Get it at: www.java.com)

New Features:
-Vegamap now has system search (AutoComplete)
-Planets now use the correct in-game names
-VSTrade Strings can now be localized
-Table pop-up menu (Like 0.1.0.0)
-Browse only accept a valid path
-Save settings locked GUI while external data loaded (fixed by working in threads)
-Clear buy List button on Trade tab was disabled, when list was in sync

Known Issues:
-Splash screen can't be translated (Won't fix)
-Danish translation is incomplete
-Help is empty

ToDo:
-Bug fixing (if anyone is found) ;)
-Help Tab
-Source code documentation
-Source code cleanup
(Some items might be moved to the next release)
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote: ToDo:
-Bug fixing (if anyone is found) ;)
OK:
drink@agamemnon:~/Software/Games/VegaStrike$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_03"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode)
drink@agamemnon:~/Software/Games/VegaStrike$ uname -a
Linux agamemnon 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
drink@agamemnon:~/Software/Games/VegaStrike$ java -jar vstrade.jar
(Info) Starting VSTrade 0.1.0.7
(Info) Using default settings (vstrade_settings.xml - NOT FOUND)
(Info) Creating GUI (Moduls)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ca/odell/glazedlists/EventList
at vstrade.Program.<init>(Program.java:104)
at vstrade.VSTrade.<init>(VSTrade.java:37)
at vstrade.VSTrade.createAndShowGUI(VSTrade.java:60)
at vstrade.VSTrade.access$000(VSTrade.java:30)
at vstrade.VSTrade$1.run(VSTrade.java:47)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:168)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:160)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)

Haven't tried the release version yet but I always like betas. And it was smaller :/
dgsniper
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by dgsniper »

OK, here's an embarrassing question, but.. how the heck do I start it? I'm using linux, but I'm clueless on what to do with .java files.

Thanks,
Snipes.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

dgsniper wrote:OK, here's an embarrassing question, but.. how the heck do I start it? I'm using linux, but I'm clueless on what to do with .java files.

Thanks,
Snipes.
java -jar jarfile.jar

That's pretty much it. Why do you have to specify -jar? I don't know. Ask Sun.

On Ubuntu, with the jre installed, there's also a right-click option to open jar files with java. I have java5 and java6 installed and I have an option for each.

also 'sudo update-alternatives --config java' will let you pick which jre is used when you run the java command... at least, on Debian systems. I'm an Ubuntu guy these days. :)
dgsniper
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by dgsniper »

@drinkypoo

Thanks a lot. That did help in getting me to my next step.. another problem.

:x

When I type the java -jar vstrade.jar I get the following:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: vstrade/VSTra
de (Unsupported major.minor version 50.0)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:12
3)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:194)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:274)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
Am I using an outdated version of java or something? I'm using:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_13-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_13-b06, mixed mode).

If anyone could provide some additional assistance, I'd be more than appreciative.

Snipes.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yes you are way out of date. Your version is 1.4.2. In the meantime Java has released 1.5 *and* 1.6 (actually now called 5.0 and 6.0... Why does SUN always have to confuse every versioning system they have?)
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

dgsniper wrote: Am I using an outdated version of java or something? I'm using:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_13-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_13-b06, mixed mode).
The answer is definitely yes. You should have something more like this:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_13-b05, mixed mode)

I forget what 1.4 corresponds to, but 1.5 is the java 5 platform which is required for vstrade.

vstrade beta requires java 6 (but it doesn't work at all on my system anyway.)
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

bugreport, wishlist

Post by drinkypoo »

I am on linux with java 5 and have only "standard planets pirates rlaan aera" in my "buy from" dropdown. There are for instance no klkk bases. I read the milkyway fine, am I supposed to NOT read the csv files?

My greatest wishes: a better vsmap interface, and some built-in help on vsmap whether it gets a better interface or not. I hate having to go look at some other resource to figure out how to use a tool.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: bugreport, wishlist

Post by GoldenGnu »

First off sorry for the delayed response... I didn't see the post until now...

@drinkypoo

Thank you for the bug report....
I'll try to reproduce the error... I suppose you're using the latest Vega Strike version from SVN?

It says it is missing a glazedlists class. please confirm that you got the "glazedlists-1.7.0_java15.jar" file in the "lib" subdirectory of the vstrade directory... "lib\glazedlists-1.7.0_java15.jar"

drinkypoo wrote:I am on linux with java 5 and have only "standard planets pirates rlaan aera" in my "buy from" dropdown. There are for instance no klkk bases.
Yerh... I'm been wondering that myself...

Basically, the only faction types mentioned in the csv files are: "Standard (Standard are simply bases, with no specific type), planets, pirates, rlaan, and aera". Every other faction, use one of the listed types. But, I don't know what factions use what types (I'll guess that kklk uses Standard). I would love to know more, but I simply haven't had the time to look into it. I also made a thread asking if anyone knew, but no one replied... If you do figure it out, please let me know...

drinkypoo wrote:I read the milkyway fine, am I supposed to NOT read the csv files?
Sorry? You lost me... If you see the mentioned types, you have load both...
No bases will appear if the csv files are not loaded...
drinkypoo wrote:My greatest wishes: a better vsmap interface, and some built-in help on vsmap whether it gets a better interface or not. I hate having to go look at some other resource to figure out how to use a tool.
I agree that non-intuitive programs, is a drag... I don't know what exactly to do about it, thou. As I'm already use to using the program. If you got some more concrete suggestion how to improve interface, please let me know :)

@dgsniper

please download (and install) the latest version of java from: http://java.com
Also, there is run instructions for linux, in the included readme file. thou, I didn't write them myself (as I'm clueless about linux), they should work just fine... :)
Sheltem
Trader
Trader

Post by Sheltem »

Hi,
1st: nice tool and very useful for easier trading
but ;)
2nd: the navi-map is hard to hande ...ups :) I did not find the start system :(

Is support for 0.50 in the queue? That would be nice...

Regards
Roman
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

Sheltem wrote:Hi,
1st: nice tool and very useful for easier trading
Thank you, very much... It's really the feedback that keep me developing this tool :)
Sheltem wrote:but ;)
2nd: the navi-map is hard to hande ...ups :) I did not find the start system :(
Is support for 0.50 in the queue? That would be nice...
Did you try the BETA? It enables you to search for systems a lot easier...
You can simply type in the system name you're looking for (while sectors is set to "All"), and press select/center, to find the system. The starting system is called "Cephid 17".

I would love to make the vegamap better, but please tell how I can redesign it to be more easy to use...

one of the ways I'm thinking about improving VegaMap, is by highlighting the selected system jumps... but, I guess that's only a start...
Sheltem wrote:Regards
Roman
Once again I want to thank you. It's really makes my day, when I get feedback!
Sheltem
Trader
Trader

Post by Sheltem »

Hi,
I have searched the Cephid 17 System in Your tool below "VegaMap". In the game I know how to find it.

0.50: I saw some new goods for trading. These goods would be nice to deal with in Your tool.
Or simply change files below "Settings"?

Regards
Roman
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

Sheltem wrote:Hi,
I have searched the Cephid 17 System in Your tool below "VegaMap". In the game I know how to find it.
Please try the BETA version of VSTrade, and tell my how can I make VegaMap better and easier to use...
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sheltem wrote:0.50: I saw some new goods for trading. These goods would be nice to deal with in Your tool.
The BETA version of VSTrade, should be fully compatible with Vega Strike 0.5 (or it was last time i checked, I'll check again later today, and release a new BETA version of VSTrade, if it's not). The stable release of VSTrade, however, is not compatible with Vega Strike 0.5.

Sheltem wrote:Or simply change files below "Settings"?
Yes, if you use the BETA release of VSTrade, all you need to do is to chance the path to vega strike 0.5, on the settings tab. And it should include any new goods, planets, bases etc. (as it just loads the current data files...). That is of course assuming that the BETA is still fully compatible... (as said before, I'll check again later today. And if needed release a new BETA)

Sheltem wrote:Regards
Roman
Thank you for the quick reply, I truly value your feedback... :D

EDIT:
I can hereby confirm that 0.1.1.0 Beta version of VSTrade works with the 0.5.0 Beta verison of Vega Strike for Windows...
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

@drinkypoo

After researching you error report, I found out that you're missing the "lib\glazedlists-1.7.0_java15.jar" file... Please leave the VSTrade directory intact after downloading and unzipping it. That should fix your problem.

If you do need to move vstrade.jar, please move every file inside the VSTrade directory with it... or move the entire directory instead...

Hope this helps...

EDIT: I'll be releasing another version soon, with some better error handling, so you'll know when the glazed list library is missing...
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

So so so...

I decided to release a new stable version, as the new vega strike 0.5 will be hitting streets soon (hopefully)...

Download: VSTrade: 0.2.0.0 ~770KB (jar and source)

NOTE: This release require Java Runtime Environment 6 update 2 (Get it at: www.java.com)

Here is the complete change log, since 0.1.0.0

New Features:
-Better error handling for missing glazed lists library
-Vegamap now has system search (AutoComplete)
-Planets now use the correct in-game names
-VSTrade Strings can now be localized
-Table pop-up menu (Like 0.1.0.0)
-Browse only accept a valid path
-Save settings locked GUI while external data loaded (fixed by working in threads)
-Clear buy List button on Trade tab was disabled, when list was in sync
-Best Trade - Best trade routes only
-Fixed error with latest SVN units.csv
-Search locked GUI (fixed by working in threads)
-Now has a splash screen
-Statusbar display search/save progress
-Only one path to set
-New Price column; "$ Percent" percent of standard price
-New GUI for selecting bases (allowing multiple selections)
-Vegamap optimized (only draw objects in view)
-Tables Multi-Column sorting (Provided by Glazed Lists)
-csv files and cargo images are no longer shipped with VSTrade
-Advanced table sorting (Provided by Glazed Lists)
-The parsers have been updated to read the latest versions of the csv files

Known Issues:
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:First off sorry for the delayed response... I didn't see the post until now...
I'm just glad to have a dialogue at all :)
GoldenGnu wrote: Thank you for the bug report....
I'll try to reproduce the error... I suppose you're using the latest Vega Strike version from SVN?
No, I was using 0.4.3. I just wanted to try the beta, I thought that I read that it would work with either version - and it was smaller :) I'll be compiling SVN "real soon now" (I need to get data, I only got code.)
GoldenGnu wrote: It says it is missing a glazedlists class. please confirm that you got the "glazedlists-1.7.0_java15.jar" file in the "lib" subdirectory of the vstrade directory... "lib\glazedlists-1.7.0_java15.jar"
Should I bother without SVN? If so I'll try it.
GoldenGnu wrote:
drinkypoo wrote:My greatest wishes: a better vsmap interface, and some built-in help on vsmap whether it gets a better interface or not. I hate having to go look at some other resource to figure out how to use a tool.
I agree that non-intuitive programs, is a drag... I don't know what exactly to do about it, thou. As I'm already use to using the program. If you got some more concrete suggestion how to improve interface, please let me know :)
Well, here is my concrete suggestion: Please make the interface less mouse-dependant. I am using a laptop which has no scroll wheel, just a trackpoint and three buttons, to run my map software. (It's next to the laptop I actually play on.) I am actually running vegamap so that I can use z/Z to zoom. The control-whatever doesn't seem to work - I don't have a number pad, either, so if you're supposed to use KP- and KP+ then that is quite impossible for me. If possible, a vegamap interface that would work entirely from the keyboard (arrow scrolling, etc) would be the best. I think it's very likely that many people will want to use an old laptop as their map display.

It would also be nice if vstrade would try some sensible default paths for finding the xml file on Linux. Mine's in /usr/share/games/vegastrike/universe/milky_way.xml - this is the path used for the vegastrike-data package on Ubuntu, for at least Feisty and Gutsy. But that's not that important in the grand scheme I guess :)
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

drinkypoo wrote:
GoldenGnu wrote:First off sorry for the delayed response... I didn't see the post until now...
I'm just glad to have a dialogue at all :)
Well, as I've said many times before, I love any feedback... It's really what makes me continue developing VSTrade
drinkypoo wrote:
GoldenGnu wrote: Thank you for the bug report....
No, I was using 0.4.3. I just wanted to try the beta, I thought that I read that it would work with either version - and it was smaller :) I'll be compiling SVN "real soon now" (I need to get data, I only got code.)
Uhh, I gave the windows 0.5.0 beta a spin yesterday and it's a great improvement over 0.4.3, you're in for a treat
drinkypoo wrote:
GoldenGnu wrote: It says it is missing a glazedlists class. please confirm that you got the "glazedlists-1.7.0_java15.jar" file in the "lib" subdirectory of the vstrade directory... "lib\glazedlists-1.7.0_java15.jar"
Should I bother without SVN? If so I'll try it.
I just released a new stable release 0.2.0.0. it's more or less the same as the 0.1.1.0 beta. But, I would be happy if you gave it a try... It got a lot of improvements over 0.1.0.0

It's compatible with both 0.4.3 and 0.5.0 (I tested it with the windows 0.5.0 beta and it works)

if you leave the vstrade directory intact after you unzip it, It should work.
If it still crash on startup, please post the console output here again :)
drinkypoo wrote:
GoldenGnu wrote:
Well, here is my concrete suggestion: Please make the interface less mouse-dependant. I am using a laptop which has no scroll wheel, just a trackpoint and three buttons, to run my map software. (It's next to the laptop I actually play on.) I am actually running vegamap so that I can use z/Z to zoom. The control-whatever doesn't seem to work - I don't have a number pad, either, so if you're supposed to use KP- and KP+ then that is quite impossible for me. If possible, a vegamap interface that would work entirely from the keyboard (arrow scrolling, etc) would be the best. I think it's very likely that many people will want to use an old laptop as their map display.
There is no key commands available for controlling VegaMap in VSTrade ATM.

so yerh, It sounds like a great idea... It might even make it easier to use, even if you do have a mouse...

I didn't write VegaMap, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the code, so It might take some time to complete. So I hope you'll stay patient...
But, I'll start to implement it as the first thing tomorrow...
drinkypoo wrote:It would also be nice if vstrade would try some sensible default paths for finding the xml file on Linux. Mine's in /usr/share/games/vegastrike/universe/milky_way.xml - this is the path used for the vegastrike-data package on Ubuntu, for at least Feisty and Gutsy. But that's not that important in the grand scheme I guess :)
yerh, that make sense and It shouldn't be to hard to have VSTrade check a few paths to find the Vega Strike directory...

I have no clue where vega strike will be located on Mac... But, who use mac anyway j/k :P On windows, It's somewhere in the "program files" directory... I'll look into it...

I'm also working on externalizing the paths/filenames used to find the files within the Vega Strike directory, to make it easier to use VSTrade with mods... but, that's another story...
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote: I just released a new stable release 0.2.0.0. it's more or less the same as the 0.1.1.0 beta. But, I would be happy if you gave it a try... It got a lot of improvements over 0.1.0.0
Okay, still haven't got the 0.5.0 data files (maybe I'll go SVN them today - I have a modem at home) but I am now using 0.2.0.0 with 0.4.3 on Linux. Works great, no serious errors. I get a bunch of GTK+ stuff as per usual :P here's a sample:

(<unknown>:14911): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkButton to a GtkComboBoxEntry (need an instance of GtkEntry or of a subclass)
(<unknown>:14911): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed
(<unknown>:14911): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_paint_box: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

Over time I have learned to ignore it when I get errors like that :)
GoldenGnu wrote: There is no key commands available for controlling VegaMap in VSTrade ATM.
so yerh, It sounds like a great idea... It might even make it easier to use, even if you do have a mouse...
I found that using the scrolling wheel was tedious anyway, because it doesn't zoom far enough on scroll. But again, I can't even do that on my second laptop, which doesn't have one.

I would LOVE to have configurable keys, of course. I could actually be very happy controlling the vsmap with a number pad, because I have an external one for my laptop, but not everyone is in this situation so support for non-keypad operation is best if you support only one set of keys.

It would be okay to have to edit a file to change keymappings. Users can find keysyms on linux at least with xev.
GoldenGnu wrote: I didn't write VegaMap, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the code, so It might take some time to complete. So I hope you'll stay patient...
But, I'll start to implement it as the first thing tomorrow...
My hat is off to you, sir. I'll be patient :)

Anyway, here's my reflections on the new version. I like the new interface additions for vegamap, but if it would be possible to get them to take up less vertical space that would be great. Maybe a toolbar below the tabs, with typography-esque controls (instead of a font pulldown and italic, bold, etc, there would be a system pulldown and a go button (to replace the select button? perhaps with "select system" as a tooltip) and then several toggle buttons for the various options. This would take up a lot less space, and if you have access to some kind of toolbar control, would make the various items in it reflow automatically so that it would work well both for people with 800x600 displays, and those of us with 1600x1200 :)

I also like the simplified config screen. Everyone should be on 0.4.3 or better these days, right?

Now regarding the trade screen, it seems you used to be able to search only for a system with destination all and have it show you what to sell to all bases that there's any point of trading with. I can't seem to make it do that any more. Is there a new way to do it? The old way worked nicely (no destination selected? show all.) But you also can't add all to the list of destinations, although you can apparently add multiple destinations.

Finally, could you please add min/max values for commodities, and perhaps the kind of place or specific place where they are worth the most, under the cargo tab? This would be immediately useful. Thank you for properly ordering the pulldown list of commodities! It was really annoying to go through it before :)

Judicious use of tooltips could help improve usability quite a bit. For example the > and >> buttons on the trade screen (or < and << for the other side) could be labeled "copy the current item to destinations" and "copy the whole list of destinations" for example.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

drinkypoo wrote:Okay, still haven't got the 0.5.0 data files (maybe I'll go SVN them today - I have a modem at home) but I am now using 0.2.0.0 with 0.4.3 on Linux. Works great, no serious errors. I get a bunch of GTK+ stuff as per usual :P here's a sample:

(<unknown>:14911): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkButton to a GtkComboBoxEntry (need an instance of GtkEntry or of a subclass)
(<unknown>:14911): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed
(<unknown>:14911): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_paint_box: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

Over time I have learned to ignore it when I get errors like that :)
I'm sorry, I've never used Linux :? The error messages is most likely more related to either GTK or the Java RE, then to VSTrade... but, I'm not sure... anyway, I have no idea, what so ever, how to fix it...

drinkypoo wrote:I found that using the scrolling wheel was tedious anyway, because it doesn't zoom far enough on scroll. But again, I can't even do that on my second laptop, which doesn't have one.
I scroll in and out really fast with my scroll wheel. But, maybe you have different settings... But, a better solution is needed for none-mouse user anyway...

drinkypoo wrote:I would LOVE to have configurable keys, of course. I could actually be very happy controlling the vsmap with a number pad, because I have an external one for my laptop, but not everyone is in this situation so support for non-keypad operation is best if you support only one set of keys.

It would be okay to have to edit a file to change keymappings. Users can find keysyms on linux at least with xev.
Yerh, I'll try to make that happen... I don't know how yet, but, I'll give it a try.... I think the best solution is the make the key bindings editable from within the program, so that's the way I'll go...

drinkypoo wrote:My hat is off to you, sir. I'll be patient :)
I hope it won't take to long...

drinkypoo wrote:Anyway, here's my reflections on the new version. I like the new interface additions for vegamap, but if it would be possible to get them to take up less vertical space that would be great.
Are you aware, that you can "maximize" the map section by clicking, the small arrows on the separator (right bellow "Invert Y-Axis")?
This is also true for the other horizontal split tabs, like trade etc.

drinkypoo wrote:Maybe a toolbar below the tabs, with typography-esque controls (instead of a font pulldown and italic, bold, etc, there would be a system pulldown and a go button (to replace the select button? perhaps with "select system" as a tooltip) and then several toggle buttons for the various options. This would take up a lot less space, and if you have access to some kind of toolbar control, would make the various items in it reflow automatically so that it would work well both for people with 800x600 displays, and those of us with 1600x1200 :)
Yerh, that sounds like a good idea... I never created a toolbar in java before, but, it's should be easy enough...

drinkypoo wrote:I also like the simplified config screen. Everyone should be on 0.4.3 or better these days, right?
I hope so... I never encountered an earlier version myself... but, If someone still use a version before 0.4.3, they should definitely upgrade - NOW! ;)

drinkypoo wrote:Now regarding the trade screen, it seems you used to be able to search only for a system with destination all and have it show you what to sell to all bases that there's any point of trading with. I can't seem to make it do that any more. Is there a new way to do it?
yes, there is... (But, I'm afraid it's a little complicated)

First you'll need to add the base you're buying from, to the "Buy From List". This can be done simply by pressing it with the mouse or selecting it with the keyboard and pressing enter in the "Buy From combo box".

Then select [all] and press enter in the "Sell To combo box" (the reason you need to press enter (even if you use the mouse), is due to Java's fun way of firing events), then all bases, should literally be added to the Sell To list...

I guess, that's not a very intuitive interface. :? I'll change it, to have a "Add" button next to the combo boxes...

drinkypoo wrote:The old way worked nicely (no destination selected? show all.) But you also can't add all to the list of destinations, although you can apparently add multiple destinations.
Yerh, it's not the best solution... I can see now... Thank you for pointing that out! :) It's really nice to have someone give me, so much feedback on the user interface... hopefully, VSTrade will end up being somewhat user friendly... ;)

drinkypoo wrote:Finally, could you please add min/max values for commodities, and perhaps the kind of place or specific place where they are worth the most, under the cargo tab? This would be immediately useful.
yet another great idea! It would make the cargo tap a lot more usefull (It's really pointless now, I guess) It won't get first priority, but I have added it to my ToDo list...
drinkypoo wrote:Thank you for properly ordering the pulldown list of commodities! It was really annoying to go through it before :)
I'm not sure I even did that, hehe... but, it's properly sort, in some way, I guess... hehe... (Memory - long gone... :P)

drinkypoo wrote:Judicious use of tooltips could help improve usability quite a bit. For example the > and >> buttons on the trade screen (or < and << for the other side) could be labeled "copy the current item to destinations" and "copy the whole list of destinations" for example.
Language have never been my strong side, and English is not my native language. The good news is that every string is externalized, so It's easy to change. If you got other Tool Tip improvements, please let me know... I'll change the once you suggested already
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:Are you aware, that you can "maximize" the map section by clicking, the small arrows on the separator (right bellow "Invert Y-Axis")?
Sure, but I like the controls. I just don't like the amount of space they take up :)
GoldenGnu wrote:The good news is that every string is externalized, so It's easy to change. If you got other Tool Tip improvements, please let me know... I'll change the once you suggested already
I'm not sure if they should be that exactly. What tool do I need to change them myself? Does every button have a tooltip? If I can help with that directly, I will.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

drinkypoo wrote:
GoldenGnu wrote:Are you aware, that you can "maximize" the map section by clicking, the small arrows on the separator (right bellow "Invert Y-Axis")?
Sure, but I like the controls. I just don't like the amount of space they take up :)
yerh, I'm going to make a toolbar instead, as you suggested...
drinkypoo wrote:
GoldenGnu wrote:The good news is that every string is externalized, so It's easy to change. If you got other Tool Tip improvements, please let me know... I'll change the once you suggested already
I'm not sure if they should be that exactly. What tool do I need to change them myself? Does every button have a tooltip? If I can help with that directly, I will.
I'm not sure every button got a tool tip, but, I can change that...
If you want to help you can find the English translation, in the source directory:
"VSTrade 0.2.0.0\Source\vstrade\language"
each file in the English translation end with "_en_US.properties"

You can open it with any text editor... It's just a text file...

it use this format:
"Key = String"
The part before = is the key, used by the program (you shouldn't change that)...
The part after = is the part you need to change...
The tool tip keys have TT in their name...
like:
NamesTT = Show/Hide Names

Each tap has it's own file... so, "map_en_US.properties" has all the keys for the vegamap tap etc.

The changes won't take effect until the program is recompiled... or if you can, you can replace your newly made files, with the once in the jar files. I'm not sure how to do that in a easy way, but if you're interested, I'll find a way... otherwise just post the changed files here, and I'll recompile VSTrade, and release a new version... :)

Also, if you need more help, or anything... don't hesitate to ask...

And thank you for offering your help. :) It's greatly appreciated...

EDIT:
After checking, I can confirm that all the buttons and other user interface elements currently have tool tips...
Also, you shouldn't start with the trade tool tips, as I'll be changing the trade interface a little... I'll be also changing the vegamap interface, but, the tool tips should be usable in the new interface as well...
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

GoldenGnu wrote:The changes won't take effect until the program is recompiled... or if you can, you can replace your newly made files, with the once in the jar files. I'm not sure how to do that in a easy way, but if you're interested, I'll find a way... otherwise just post the changed files here, and I'll recompile VSTrade, and release a new version... :)
jar files are zip files:

drink@agamemnon:~/Desktop/vst2$ file vstrade.jar
vstrade.jar: Zip archive data, at least v1.0 to extract

So they're easy to update.

I'll take a look at the tooltips when I get a chance. Maybe during a break in working today :)
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

@drinkypoo

yerh, sound like you know what you're doing 8)

Here is a new alpha version, to test what I've done so far...

Download: VSTrade: 0.2.0.1 ~870KB (jar and source)

Here is the change log, since 0.2.0.0:

New Features:
-Changes to trade user interface
-New layout for vegamap

Known Issues:

ToDo:
-Make vegamap controllable by keys
-Control keys editor
-Cargo: max price, min price, best buy base, best sell base
-Update tool tips (with the help of drinkypoo)