Problem buying missles when expansion is 0

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
teslarider
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Problem buying missles when expansion is 0

Post by teslarider »

I just upgraded my quad shields from x to xi, making my expansion to 0. I have a full complement of missles and I go out to fight. I fire some heat seeking missles and return to base.
I can not reload the fired missles, :( the missles at the base are Purple, (meaning no expansion space available) but I had the missles and fired them :x ,
meaning I had the space for them. :!:
The missles them selves are listed as 0 for the expansion.
Can this be fixed :?: Maybe change the variable to not include missles or a different variable to account for the exsisting missles?
THANKS!
ps if I downgrade the shields to X(10) then I can reload the missles :roll:
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Problem buying missles when expansion is 0

Post by PaulB »

Here is how you can fix it but you must be careful or yo can cause problems.

Unless you want to start the game from scratch you will have to modify 2 or more files (depending on how many Save Games you have done with different filenames).

The field that determines your ship storage is Upgrade_Storage_Volume which is field DF in units.csv (viewing with Excel or equiv spread sheet) for the particular ship you bought. It is the 8th field from the right from the end of the line. This is the change if you want it to be permanent (for the next time you buy that ship).

For the Current Save Game ship you must edit the same Upgrade_Storage_Volume field BUT it is NOT at the same position in the save game file. You will have to (a) view the save game file in Excel and find it and make a note of it's relation to other surrounding fields and values and them find and edit it's value.
The save games files are in .vegastrike\serialized_xml in the folder name you saved the game as.
It may be in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\.vegastrike\serialized_xml
They are csv files also.

NOTE: DO NOT EDIT THESE FILES IN Excel OR ANY OTHER SREADSHEET PROGRAM.
It is not safe because they change the file layout format and can cause the game to crash or not work properly. View them in Excel or whatever but DO NOT SAVE.

Use Notepad++ a free program text editor that can edit long line files and not change the file format.
You will have to find the field (based on your viewing in Excel, etc) and then save the file.
NOTE: Make a backup (copy) of the file(s) BEFORE you star working on them in case you make a mistake.

One note: if you make changes to ONLY the save game file and not in units.csv then it is possible that whenever you go to do a ship Upgrade, buy or add or replace equipment that it will put your ship BACK to it's default values (from units.csv) and you wil be right back where you started before you made the mods.
That's why if I make changes - I make them to units.csv also, so they will be permanent.

As an example, the (DF) Upgrade_Storage_Volume field for the Llama ships is 360

In case you are interested - I added the Galaxy ship from Privateer GG to Vegastrike and I had the same problem with storage volume (and a lot of other fields) and I've done a lot of mods in Privateer GG.

Be careful and good luck.

PaulB
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Problem buying missles when expansion is 0

Post by TBeholder »

teslarider wrote:I just upgraded my quad shields from x to xi, making my expansion to 0. I have a full complement of missles and I go out to fight. I fire some heat seeking missles and return to base.
I can not reload the fired missles, :( the missles at the base are Purple, (meaning no expansion space available) but I had the missles and fired them :x ,
meaning I had the space for them. :!:
The missles them selves are listed as 0 for the expansion.
Can this be fixed :?: Maybe change the variable to not include missles or a different variable to account for the exsisting missles?
Yup, it's a bug - volume should not be checked like this for ammo. A quick fix is to zero 5th column (it's actually set to "0.1") in data/master_part_list.csv (data/parts/trade_equipment.csv in SVN) for all "foo_ammo" lines - normally ammunition isn't handled as cargo, except on capships/bases that sell it - and given their hold volumes, whether it's zero or not is irrelevant, of course. Use LibreOffice Calc if you want, or in a plain text editor replace all text <,0.01,0.1,"@> with <,0.01,0,"@> - this will do the job.

The proper solution is to explicitly set parts to decrease equipment space and leave (greater) cargo volume for equipment-as-cargo. Which of course means that it needs to be looked over and overhauled either way, so for now may just as well zero them.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter