Possible image corruption

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Sanocon
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Possible image corruption

Post by Sanocon »

so i wanted to make/ edit the textures of the game to make the U.I. look nicer.

however when i opened the files some seemed to be corropted.

now if you are wondering i am running Linux Fedora 17 64bit OS with the LXDE desktop.
and fyi my hardware is about as strong as a PS3 so i know thats not the problom.
also i have GIMP but only the basic package
going into the textures thanks to the preveiw icons in the textures folder
(found this in /usr/share/vegastrike/textures)
now just in the main 'texture' folder here were the number of wrorking files. for now i will give the exstentions:
9 png files
6 bmp files
4 texture files (can someone exsplaint to me what these are since ill be contributing soon?)
i also saw one jpg file, but it wasnt working.

so i have 2 questions here:
1: is there a source folder you guys have that i can merge with the VS files i have now just in case it was Fedora's fault. and
2: is there anything i may need extra from gimp just in case. like fils and stuff just if thats not the case.

i hope this problom will get fixed soon, because i really want to help you guys on this project, space games are my thing and i might as well help this game thrive. :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Possible image corruption

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard Sanocon do those images show properly in game they should as they are actually compressed with the DTX method we had to save some download weight :wink: So get the DTX plug-in for the GIMP or better yet browse the SVN repo under masters We try to keep all our hi-res originals so if you intend to contribute please keep that in mind when you plan your workflow.Have fun playing and if you have any questions feel free to just ask 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sanocon wrote: and fyi my hardware is about as strong as a PS3 so i know thats not the problom.
Juste FYI, if you were having hardware trouble, it would be best if you post your hardware specs as comparing to a PS3 isn't particularly useful. For one, PS3 hardware isn't that impressive. For two, some problems are very specific to some chip or driver, so the specifics do matter.

In any case, if the game runs fine, I doubt it's hardware. You probably lack the right editing tools. GIMP can't read DXT without a DDS plugin. Gwenview will be able to show the file, but not edit. If you want to edit asserts, you're better off checking out the masters repo, where you have many uncompressed originals.

You can replace the game's DXT files with any other format (as long as you keep the same filename, including extension) and it will work. In fact, you'll find some extensions don't match the format.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Sanocon

Post by Sanocon »

i know for a fact that the PS3 is about below average for the average gaming computer. but i know the hardware is not that much of a problom since my hardware is from well known companies. (Intel and Nvidea)

the image editor though, i was thinking that was the problom. thanks for helping me out. and giving me help on to find the right tools.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Still need to add that new attribute.. So this is solved then :)
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo