Milspec Gawain

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Milspec Gawain

Post by Miramor »

Umm. How do they fit a heavy particle cannon on this thing? And is there anything that can fit on a "Light weapons" turret?

(I bought one and sold the disruptor and mass driver, thinking of sticking on a pair of razor guns... And found that not only would the razor guns not mount, I couldn't buy back and mount the original weaponry. Even the laser couldn't be bought back and mounted after being sold. Dang.)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That's the problem with Mil spec ships most of the components are hardwired and unchangeable try and find a stock version i don't remember if they exist in game or not.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Maybe it's also because certain ships have a certain upgrade space?
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Ah thanks. So I guess I'm not supposed to be able to sell the various heavy weapons that they've stuck onto the thing? Is that a bug?

(I've seen stock Gawains but they appear capable of mounting light weapons only. Kind of lame. I'm still looking for a light fighter that can mount heavy weapons... Something other than a Dostoevsky, because in spite of its advantages it is the ugliest little ship ever to fly in VS. :lol: )
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I like the Derivative an interceptor not a light fighter it can mount medium weapons and 6 missile mounts it's fast and agile.taken out several Corvettes with it :D

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Firstly - which revision are you playing? (just to put myself in the right context in reading this, as there have been some significant changes to both weapon and unit defs, e.g. particle beams are light weapons)

If working with SVN head:

The (noextension) actual military ship models get to play a little faster and looser with some of their mount sizes relative to the other variants of that vessel - but you shouldn't actually be able to buy one, so it shouldn't be an issue. They represent a non-modular design, and if you see one for sale, that's a bug.

The (.milspec) models should be for sale, and (still working on the differentiations) will generally mirror the stats of the actual military models, except in the weaponry department - they won't come with any, and some of the mounts may be more limited. The (.stock) models (again, still working on the differentiations) are likewise for sale but may (depending on manufacturing and reselling parties and origin of the ship design in the first place) be significantly toned down or reconfigured for civilian use. (Not the best analogy, but HumVee/Surplus HumVee/Hummer at least gets one started in that direction).
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

I'm using 0.4.3. And this was definitely a milspec Gawain.

(My Lancelot has no extension though. My mistake when I hacked it into my savefile. :oops: )
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Miramor wrote:I'm using 0.4.3. And this was definitely a milspec Gawain.

(My Lancelot has no extension though. My mistake when I hacked it into my savefile. :oops: )
Ah. For 0.4.3 ..... milspec ships are known to be a bit odd (and exisit only in the (noextension) variants) (that's why I'm working on it ;-) )
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

loki1950 wrote:I like the Derivative an interceptor not a light fighter it can mount medium weapons and 6 missile mounts it's fast and agile.taken out several Corvettes with it :D

Yeah, I've been eyeing one of those. Can the Heavy/Special mount take a heavy ion beam or somesuch?

(Setup with the Lancelot, until recently, was two disruptor beams and a heavy ion beam. I added a plasma gun at a certain point, but it just drained my power faster and did no extra damage at all. What I'm finding as that bolt weapons barely hit at all with autotracking, at least in 0.4.3. Is ITTS needed for autotracking to work properly with them?)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I dotn"t know for sure i usually have ITTS radar and AIFF by the time i can find the auto trackers for sale :lol:

Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Well, I bit the bullet and switched over to a milspec Derivative. Firepower and maneuverability are impressive - it's nice mounting heavy beam weapons on a ship that can turn accurately enough to keep them focused on a target. Makes those pesky Redeemers drop like flies.

On the other hand... There is a reason that Derivative has that "cheap plastic toy" look. Shielding seems to be a bit of a problem in the milspec model. Those shields fall fast and don't regenerate fast enough to make up for it, and the defau lt keyboard controls make it kind of tough dodge gunfire effectively. Even Plowshares seem able to do a number on me. Clydesdales... forget it.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a stock one and transfer the weapons and whatnot over, then beef it up with a decent generator and some nice shielding (and shield capacitance). I definitely don't like relying on armor and hull integrity.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

And a bigger reactor to provide the needed extra juice for all the goodies :D

Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Well, I got my extra reactor, but adding shield capacitance doesn't do a great deal. Need better shields or better shield regen rate, but I can't install an extra set of shield emitters, and I haven't been able to find one of those regen boosters... grr.

(On the other hand, I have gotten my hands on a reaper cannon, which is good for picking off those Redeemers before they can shoot at you...)
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Wouldn't you know it, the shields on the milspec are about twice as good as the best I can get on a stock model. I guess milspec and shield enhancers are the way to go.

(And ktek beams do more damage than reaper cannons. I'll have to remember that.)
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Some people just tend to get a cargo ship like the mule, and convert it to a military fighting-type ship.

Just be carefull what ship you convert. ;)
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Just an update... It looks as though ITTS is needed for bolt weapons to autotrack properly, otherwise they fire at the ship's current position and usually miss unless the ship is moving straight towards you. That's in 0.4.3 though, I'm not sure about SVN.
nullhility
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: Milspec Gawain

Post by nullhility »

Someone should really post a good weapons layout for the Gawain, I bought one in sol and found that nothing in confederate space was worth mounting to it. The logic behind this beautiful interceptor seems to be; you can't mount anything heavy with decent range but you can sure get close enough for the weak weapons to work (if you can dodge enemy fire). I tried out the derivative too when I realised it was "missile" based, however heavy torpedos don't fit and it doesn't mount the amount of tracking missiles you need to barely sustain a fight with multiple enemies (only 1 FoF and only 6 dumbfires).

(using the current svn btw)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

welcome nullhility i like the derivative with a beam weapon and auto-tracking it has the legs to run if you get into fur ball but i have blasted 10 Nicander merchant marines in one encounter :D Lots of armour damage to pay for at the next repair base.

Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I have had difficulty getting my beam weapons to do sufficient damage to the aerans. I have settled on a deriviative with 2 Hephaestus and 2 Razor. The Hephaestus has great projectile output while razor has range. I have to use them in short bursts though as they deplete the capacitors quickly. I have found this mix to do a great job on most vessels. I also mount 2 FoF missiles and 4 Heatseekers. Since most of the ships either have ecm and/or turrets the tracking missiles aren't particularly effective for me and so I don't tend to use them much. The Hephaestus having 15000 rounds of ammo each have excellent staying power for the longer battles.