The most profitable system you've been

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

The most profitable system you've been

Post by Kangaroo »

Hey there, folks, just thought for a moment - what IS the best system in VS? From my experience, i think it would be New Watsonville. It has regular insystem bounty and defend missions on Aera, has a bio diverse, two oceanic, two ice planets and a frozen ammonia planet. It also has two mining bases, a commerence center, factory and a relay. Can anyone beat that? :)
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Average Earthman
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Average Earthman »

I thought that what went in systems was generated semi-randomly when you first start the game, so my New Watsonville is likely to be somewhat different to anyone elses.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yeah Average Earthman only two systems are hard coded Chephid 17 the start system and sol/sol our home system all others are gererated when you first visit it.

Enjoy the Choice :)
TraderVix
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TraderVix »

Most of my systems change hands quite frequently. Aera to Riaan, Confed to Luddite, etc. so I'm always uncertain exactly who's got what and what's where. It's a pain sometimes but it does garner some benefits: research stations are more frequently available as are starfortresses and commerce station. Course mining facilities and outposts are fewer but thems da brakes.
Only those who are truly insane can define the boundries of sanity, for only they shall go beyond them.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

That's strange. I've had the same New Watsonville in 0.4.0 and was the same after twice reinstalling 0.4.3 Are you sure that it is generated randomly if there are text documents where all the systems are written? :roll:
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
TraderVix
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TraderVix »

Not sure who exactly owned New Watsonville when I started but given that it's been a Riaan-Aera hotspot for quite sometime now (so much so, in fact, that I've learned to avoid it lest I have to cycle targeting through 40 or so Riaan or Aera ships {depending on who controls it this month} just to find whatever target I need for any given mission. Seems the Aera make an advance then get thrown back then retrieve the system, almost a constant cycle. I'm just waiting for the Luddites or the Confed to move in and fight for it. Would at least be a change of scenery.
Only those who are truly insane can define the boundries of sanity, for only they shall go beyond them.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Well, I think that in General systems with a refinery owned by confed or similar (at least not Aera) and several Bio Simple planets is quite nice. Add a mining base and Bob's your uncle. You can get speciality wines at Bio Simples for around 7500 credits and sell them for around 11000 at the refinery. Oceanic planets have more of them in stock, but they're around 8500 credits there, so you gain less. And shipping metal and chrystals from a mining base to oceanic/bio simple also is quite winning.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
FIRSTJAE
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

this discussion is now obsolete

Post by FIRSTJAE »

there is a new way to make mone. check it out in the forum. it's the one with big bucks written on it. 8)
MJSkia1
Trader
Trader

Post by MJSkia1 »

To Megatherion wrote:And shipping metal and chrystals from a mining base to oceanic/bio simple also is quite winning.
Oddly enough, I've found that the profit's a little higher (in 0.4.3 at least) selling raw materials at refineries....
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Kangaroo22 wrote:That's strange. I've had the same New Watsonville in 0.4.0 and was the same after twice reinstalling 0.4.3 Are you sure that it is generated randomly if there are text documents where all the systems are written? :roll:
Systems are generated at random upon first visit, whereupon the system would remain the same (except for changes resulting from the engine, i.e. destroyed stations) until the system file is deleted.

The only thing that would be guaranteed to be the same is the number and destination of the jumppoints in the system.

I have a feeling that if and when a multiplayer version of VS is made, one of the following scenarios will occur: A) It will be confined to one or very few pre-built system(s). B) There will be a massive exploration request to make a static universe. or C) Systems will be generated and stored on a central server. I'd hope for C. Who knows, maybe functionality will be added to add systems to the universe for exploration.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I vote for B. Generating a random universe and storing it on a server is pointless. As that universe is technically, now static. :) And any crashes would only make the lost universe irretrievable.

So for multiplay, I think a static or pre-generated universe is best.

....i still think random generation should be abolished...

but.. i've got to be happy with what IS, and not what OUGHT, imo. :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

Interestingly , the most crowded systems are the ones with some economic relevance - factories and commerce stations , and varied planets. Dominant factions seem to invest much in their control (that cursed New San Jose system had about a dozen andolian Goddard spawned everywhere , and I had to reload my game until the patrol mission no longer included any of them...) , in contrast with the more sterile systems with at best a relay , and few productive planets. Trade is possible within them (especially when large merchant ships are around) but not really profitable , since race specific stuff is impossible to sell in other places. I'm using the example of the Quetal system , with aera planets and ships , but no space police... which is great for selling pilots from downed ships :twisted:

What about the space construction supplies ? I've never seen their price change significantly...
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

For Aerospace supply, I've noticed a small (20-40%) margin for profit buying from Oceanic planets and Factories and selling to Ice planets, Starbases, Biosimple planets, and Commerce stations, maybe too on Arid. Them welding supplies do best at the Starbases, much like you would guess from the cargo description.
Angel Of Time
Trader
Trader

Post by Angel Of Time »

Well I got so far out into space I cant find my way back all i see is lifeless rocks. I have my mule packed with everything from the systems ive been too and all i see are gas worlds Sure i see one or two ships but i dont see any places and i cant find my way back on the starmap because! There are to many systems mapped lol So im lost :) I find none of the systems are ever random They seem to be premapped Some are even not finshed Way out in the end of space But they are all mapped before Ive been everywhere -.-
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Yes, the systems are generated when you start (or even install) the game for the first time. After that they'll be the same in every game.
In my experience the systems far out are no way worse than closer to Cephid. Crowded Aeran systems tend to be near to the "northern" end of my map while around Sol there are some systems that only have one Jump and nothing much else so you come in, take a swift look around, turn by 180° and go back to where you came from.

If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Angel Of Time there are a couple of external map utilities that you can D/L here in the fourum try a search.

Enjoy the Choice :)
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

A short description to find back to cephid17, where all started.

Press the up-Bottom ( to make big letters) and m,
Klick with the mouse on Nav/info
then under this buttom appears a new buttom, called Sectors
Klick on Sectors, a window opens, klick on the Sector "Crucible" then klick on system "cephid17"
then klick "target selected"
then klick "up" and you will see a red line which brings you on the shortest way home.

It can help to klick "axis swap" and,or "2D/Ortho/3d"

Regards
Plueschinger
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Hi Plueschinger!
Some people might not want their bottoms to be pushed up by some VS player *g*.
Apart from that: Thank you, I will try this. Perhaps now the NavComp will become useful.

Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

To Megatherion wrote:Yes, the systems are generated when you start (or even install) the game for the first time.
My understanding was that the layout of systems (positions and linkages) was generated when you run the game the first time, but that their contents were still not generated until you visited them. After your first visit, though, the contents would remain the same (unless something was destroyed).
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Guess you're right there.
Just as well, my point was that apart from Cephid and Sol the systems are different for every player (well, or course there'd be a chance of 0,0..0X% that on two systems they're the same) and are not premapped.

Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

"Eldorado" is an aeran name 8)

In my quest for the aeran homeworld in Aeneth , I found the dream system of Maaheeeil. Best possible trade configuration : each kind of station (except starfortress and outpost) is represented in tightly grouped orbit of this gas giant.

Needless to explain how useful it can be. You can find the lowest and highest possible prices for most trade goods , all you need to optimize your profits is to plan your moves. (a llama load is enough to buy each station's production usually)

Research goods can be sold at high prices easily , but the station can also provide you with experimental upgrades. Also , you can dock your other ships at the fighter barracks for easy outfitting when you fancy to tweak them. Any but the rlaan ships are avaible. (bombers might come in handy if the confed disrupts your trading)
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Stakhanov wrote:"Eldorado" is an aeran name 8)
(bombers might come in handy if the confed disrupts your trading)
It's nice to see another friend of the Aeran Ascendancy!

Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

You didn't get it right - "It satisfies us to see a friendly ship such as yours" and "It's nice to see a human with honor" :wink:

Oh , and I have been incredibly lucky with a cargo mission : 20 specialty wines to deliver to an aeran refinery. When I did , I could buy them back with the extra reserve for less than 5000 credits each... and so sell them for twice their price at a commerce center. I'm nearing the 3 millions credits mark now...
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

That was a lucky mission indeed.

wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by wirser »

My most profitable system was cephid-17 in vs 0.4.3. Somehow this deserted planet would buy anything for 10 credits, then if you took a trip anywhere and returned whatever you sold would mutiply and sell for 10 credits . No system became safe frome my wrath from then on. until I updated vs that is. It did get boring after a while though
if current_situation=fact and if current_situation=faith
then current_forcast = excitement