Weapon Specifications

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
daschapa
Trader
Trader

Weapon Specifications

Post by daschapa »

Excuse my bad english. This is my firs time posting in the forum.
I was lookin for some weapon upgrades then i saw some specification named "Phase damage" in adition to "Damage". Well, what is it? What's the main difference between "Damage" and "Phase Damage"?
Thanks.
=======================
Das Chapa
Course to next jump point...
Engage!!!

http://banderas-en-tu-corazon.blosgpot.com
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

This might be associated with coding (?) For example - repulsor beam phase damage could mean the acceleration of the target when repulsed or a crippler's phase damage could mean damage inflicted to the engines per second. However, this is only my guess.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

phase-damage --> shield penetrating. The name will probably change one of these days (it should at least).
daschapa
Trader
Trader

Post by daschapa »

So... if Phase Damage is 250MJ will be this damage taken by the hull, but not by shields?
(Excuse my bad english, any corrections will be accepted with hapiness)
=======================
Das Chapa
Course to next jump point...
Engage!!!

http://banderas-en-tu-corazon.blosgpot.com
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

No, Phase Damage will be taken by the shields. Thus a weapon that has a lot of Ph. dam will reduce shields quite effectively, whereas it won't damage the hull (if it doesn't have additional normal damage).
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
q
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by q »

To Megatherion wrote:No, Phase Damage will be taken by the shields. Thus a weapon that has a lot of Ph. dam will reduce shields quite effectively, whereas it won't damage the hull (if it doesn't have additional normal damage).
This doesnt sound logical. Normal damage kills shields then hull. Phase would be just inferior to normal dmg.
prestidigitator
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by prestidigitator »

q wrote:
To Megatherion wrote:No, Phase Damage will be taken by the shields. Thus a weapon that has a lot of Ph. dam will reduce shields quite effectively, whereas it won't damage the hull (if it doesn't have additional normal damage).
This doesnt sound logical. Normal damage kills shields then hull. Phase would be just inferior to normal dmg.
Err...I think what he means is that the phase damage of a weapon applies only to shields, ON TOP OF any normal damage that weapon does. So if a weapon does 100 MJ worth of normal damage and 50 MJ worth of phase damage, then this would do 150 MJ to a ship's shields, but only 100 MJ to a ship's armor. That's my understanding (without digging through source code) anyway. :shrug:
DancesWithProtons
Hunter
Hunter

Post by DancesWithProtons »

This is a question that has been repeatedly asked, and answered several times in various ways by the devs. The problem is that there is still some confusion. A thorough explanation, with all details of just how phase damage works (along with the "special" damage weapons like the Leech Gun) from those who know the code would be greatly appreciated. Hellcat? Klauss? Anybody? Probably good to make it sticky also.
It's got twin Repulsor beams, twin Ion beams, almost 400 Hail and Killerbee rounds, autotracking, gun cooler, Isometal armor, second hull, double ablative coating, Mult thrust, speed and turn, AB/overdrive, dual secondary thrusters, jump drive, ZX-86 radar, ECM3, max shields, max reactor, an R2 unit and a cloaking device. I mean it's a Llama and all, but...

Current fleet: Llama, Plowshare, Mule, Progeny Admonisher, Pacifier.

Current kills: 192
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

I already answered as to the nature of phase damage in this very thread, but it seems warranted to repeat myself.

Phase damage --> shield penetrating. Damage listed as phase damage ignores shields.

Special isn't actually a damage type, it's a category placeholder for non-standard "damages" namely tractor, repulsor, and energy-subsystem damage. The leech and crippler do energy subsystem damage, but do not tend to penetrate shields, hence, like normal weapons, they only have an interesting effect (currently, though the particulars of this will eventually change for all weapons) upon an unshielded target.