Seeing Earth and die

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Esraven
Trader
Trader

Seeing Earth and die

Post by Esraven »

This weekend I hoped to return to Earth.

After 8 jumps I succeeded in the middle of the night to reach our beloved home system without getting blown up by pirates. Reaching Earth I headed to an orbiting base and requested to dock.
Unfortunately, there was some malfunctioning in the inner docking ports of the base such that each time I tried to enter the docking ports I was ejected outside the port.
Being tired, I did not notice that my ship took damage each time I had a failure in docking.

Finaly my ship blew up and my ghost went back to the place I started.
Last edited by Esraven on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
IxianMace
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by IxianMace »

Interesting. So how does this tactic give you an advantage over the enemy? :D
Esraven
Trader
Trader

Post by Esraven »

IxianMace wrote:Interesting. So how does this tactic give you an advantage over the enemy? :D
I left them dazed and confused. :lol:
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

what class of ship were you flying, and what were you trying to dock to?
Esraven
Trader
Trader

Post by Esraven »

jackS wrote:what class of ship were you flying, and what were you trying to dock to?
A noob ship, (ship you get starting the game) the base was a kind of defense fortress as far as I remember. I tried to dock slowly entering a docking tunnel in which a lot of green docking indicators where located, but as soon as I approached the most closest docking indicator I was blown out of the tunnel. I better had docked the outside docking indicator but I cannot ( a major fun part) not resist docking through a docking port.

If the game keeps a log, please state which file and I will check then.
Since this weekend I did not have time to return to Vega Space as I divide my spare time between EvE and Vega Space :)

Next time I enter Vega Space, I will retry getting to Earth, but then I will dock first outside to have a saved soul around earth. AfterwardsI will try again the docking procedure.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ya... the problem is really that the ship may have been too big to fit in those small holes

make sure to go to F6 for docking

the SF had a few docking clamps for larger ships on other locations, no?
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Esraven
Trader
Trader

Post by Esraven »

hellcatv wrote:ya... the problem is really that the ship may have been too big to fit in those small holes

Yes there were a few docking clamps for larger ships on the central tower, but it looked as my noob ship was small enough to get into those rabbit holes ;)
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Along these lines, I've noticed that a Mule (or larger) cannot dock with research stations. The only docking areas on research stations are in the docking tunnels.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.

re: Earth

Post by Guest »

I got lost in some god forsaken part of the universe (big surprise there), near Heavens Gate sector, and I'm trying to find my way home (Earth). Would anyone know the path there or even the location of list of jumppoints?
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Download vsNav from the Development Tools & User Utilities section of the forums. It actually runs outside of Vegastrike and will find the quickest route from one system to another. From Thanatos/Heavens_Gate, you are 14 jumps away from Sol/Sol. Here are the jumps to get back to Earth: Circe, Ardai, Drake, Shara, Gushkin-banda, Gerra, Nammu, Mu_Ara, Marcelais, Uncultivable_272, Uncultivable_1185, Uncultivable_907, Epsilon_Ind, Sol.

You are a little closer to your starting system right now (12 jumps to Cephid_17). I would recommend taking cargo missions to systems that sound familiar. That should get you back where you want to go. :)

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
Esraven
Trader
Trader

Post by Esraven »

Esraven wrote:
hellcatv wrote:ya... the problem is really that the ship may have been too big to fit in those small holes

Yes there were a few docking clamps for larger ships on the central tower, but it looked as my noob ship was small enough to get into those rabbit holes ;)
Huray, back around Earth. I include a picture of the docking ports which were problematic.
I docked now to the upper docking ports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

yeppers, you cant dock with these.
check with behind view F5, or F6, or whateva, when you are close and you will notice the llama is too clumsy.

just use those capship docking points or whatever are easiest to access.
;)
Mifffo
Trader
Trader

Post by Mifffo »

where is the sol system? close to new manhattan?? i have never been to this earth you speak of.

well and i noticed on the map that large areas of systems are different colors like the ULN are yellow and theres green systems also like new manhattan and lots of blue and violet systems. anyone got a color code for theese? and which systems are the capitols of the respective species?
Esraven
Trader
Trader

Post by Esraven »

Mifffo wrote:where is the sol system? close to new manhattan?? i have never been to this earth you speak of.

well and i noticed on the map that large areas of systems are different colors like the ULN are yellow and theres green systems also like new manhattan and lots of blue and violet systems. anyone got a color code for theese? and which systems are the capitols of the respective species?
I used vsnav to navigate to the sol system
(http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... ight=vsnav)
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

<quick mention - I think it made it into 4.3>

Please read the following, which is the capabilities of the Nav Comp accessed by Shift+m. It should be capable of accessing routes to required systems. Basic VSNav function put ingame.

Map Screen

and the three sub pages, particularly Nav Computer
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Kerrysl
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Kerrysl »

Being interested, while looking through some of the internals files I spent some time with the milky_way.xml file. Using FIND/FIND NEXt I was able to plot the following course from Cephid_17 to Sol. (Note: the lines with 2 Systems show the alternate route that started on the OR line)
1. Crucible: Cephid_17 (Klkk)
2. Crucible: 17-or (Klkk) OR Crucible: Oldziey (Klkk)
3. Redemption: Quetal (Klkk) Beckett: Goddard (Klkk)
4. Solace: Netheemaah (aera) Beckett: Marie (shaper)
5. Solace: Mami (unadorned) Sol: Saterne (shaper)
6. Torkelsen: Tartarus (Purist) Sol: Aeolus (Purist)
7. Torkelsen: Euterpe (Purist) Torkelsen: Euterpe (Purist)
8. Vega: Laocoon (Purist)
9. Sol: Lerna (Purist)
10. Sol: LP_36-181 (Purist)
11. Sol: Lycus (Purist)
12. Sol: Laius (Purist)
13. Sol: Minotaur (Purist)
14. Sol: Theta_Ursa_Majoris (Purist)
15. Sol: Surya (Andolian)
16. Sol: Agni (Andolian)
17. Sol: Ogawa (Andolian)
18. Sol: Telamon (Andolian) OR Sol: Alpha_Canis_Majoris (luddites)
19. Sol: Sol (confed) Sol: Sol (confed)

Looking at this route, you would want to be on good terms with the Purists, as you spend a lot of time in their space.

On my Windows install, I didn't have a hope of getting to Sol, as I hadn't even discovered the existence of Sol sector or many of its linking sectors. The closest I got was Solace: Mami. Considering the size of the Sol sector, it is ingenious that it can stay so well hidden in the universe maps.

One thought I have on the in-game map is to have a third page UP that shows sectors only with the linking System (once visted). That would help you get a better idea where you are in the BIG PICTURE.

If building Campaigns is not too difficult then it might be fun to create a high value mission (1 Million credits) to get passeengers from Cephid_17 to Sol. Obviously the big mission only becomes available after smaller earlier ones are successful that go to say Sector joining Systems eg.
Mission 1. Crucible: 17-or
Mission 2. Redemption: Quetal
Mission 3: Solace: Mami
Mission 4: Torkelsen: Euterpe
Mission 5: Vega: Laocoon
Mission 6: Sol: Sol (the big value one).
Kerry
"Turn left at 'what' rock??"
My Fleet: Llama, Plowshare, Pacifier, Goddard, (sold the Franklin - too sensitive in controls)
My Bank Balance: 4 million credits.
My Location: Arid Planet in Ogawa System
My OS: Windows 2000 (no sound/music on Linux)
My Hardware: Duron 900, 512MB RAM, MX 200/400 Video card, AC'97 on board sound, Gravis Blackhawk Digital joystick.
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Faster route (14 systems):
Crucible/Cephid 17
Crucible/Stirling
Crucible/Agea
Crucible/War
Magellan/Steakley
Magellan/Theta Ant
Magellan/Tcsc 1613
Sol/Hhrass
Sol/Ktrk pah
Sol/Prithivi mata
Sol/Rudras
Sol/Cairo
Sol/Ogawa
Sol/Alpha Canis Majoris
Sol/Sol

Kerrysl
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Kerrysl »

Excellent. Knew there probably would be a faster way.

I started by looking at the sectors and building up a picture of what sectors were linked to what other sectiors, and then looked for the sytems that joined up with the linking systems. I hadn't noticed the Magellan sector so it wasn't in my options.

Thanks for the alternative route.
Kerry
"Turn left at 'what' rock??"
My Fleet: Llama, Plowshare, Pacifier, Goddard, (sold the Franklin - too sensitive in controls)
My Bank Balance: 4 million credits.
My Location: Arid Planet in Ogawa System
My OS: Windows 2000 (no sound/music on Linux)
My Hardware: Duron 900, 512MB RAM, MX 200/400 Video card, AC'97 on board sound, Gravis Blackhawk Digital joystick.