Can you buy Rlaan ships and fly them?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
EatMyDst
Explorer
Explorer

Can you buy Rlaan ships and fly them?

Post by EatMyDst »

Can you buy Rlaan ships in Vega Strike and fly them?

Sorry if this isn't the right section for this thread, I wasn't sure.
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Can you buy Rlaan ships and fly them?

Post by breese »

EatMyDst wrote:Can you buy Rlaan ships in Vega Strike and fly them?
Yes, some of them are sold in Rlaan systems.
EatMyDst
Explorer
Explorer

Post by EatMyDst »

Thats awesome, I was hoping I could. :)
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I hear that the Rlaan ships are more maneuverable, so that Descent-style dodging will serve you well if you have a controller capable of such tactics.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
cerewa
Explorer
Explorer

Post by cerewa »

I tried Rlaan ships out, they have such good turning capability that they seemed a good choice.

I'm not sure if it's the size of the ships, the slow speed, or what, but I got shot to pieces really easily when I used 'em. I did not try setting up the controls for "descent style" dodging but I don't think it would have made the ships really work for me as far as staying alive when surrounded by enemies.

With Dostoevsky/Franklin/Lancelot (the ships I've used the most) it seemed I got hit a lot less even WITHOUT using my typical tactic of "when in danger of dying, hit the afterburners and GO".
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

I luff dem. :twisted:
breese wrote:
Yes, some of them are sold in Rlaan systems.
Generally, on Rlaan planets and bases. Only Rlaan planets and military bases got starships/Rlaan/Milspec (Shizu.milspec, Taizong.milspec, Zhuangzong.milspec).
Other than that, Desert and Tundra planets has Rlaan/Light (i.e. Shizu.stock only), MiningBase__privateer also has Rlaan/Heavy (Taizong.stock, Zhuangzong.stock).
Turbo wrote:I hear that the Rlaan ships are more maneuverable, so that Descent-style dodging will serve you well if you have a controller capable of such tactics.
Or just bindings for keypad.
cerewa wrote:I'm not sure if it's the size of the ships, the slow speed, or what, but I got shot to pieces really easily when I used 'em. I did not try setting up the controls for "descent style" dodging but I don't think it would have made the ships really work for me as far as staying alive when surrounded by enemies.
Using side thrust is still a good idea even with Dostoevsky, but for Rlaan ships it's the whole point - that's their main advantage. :) Usually have more upgrade volume - they can have better reactor and thus shields than either of these and/or use extra space to run small deliveries while saving for an upgrade.
They're also much cheaper - with the same starting money would get autotrackers and/or better shields right away.
cerewa wrote:With Dostoevsky/Franklin/Lancelot (the ships I've used the most) it seemed I got hit a lot less even WITHOUT using my typical tactic of "when in danger of dying, hit the afterburners and GO".
Human ships usually have better forward/aft thrust even without afterburners. This sort of enforces tactics for Rlaan ships closer to "rely on autotracking, dodge constantly" rather than "tank 'em until your shields are down, then trying to get away". If you think they got you, probably they did.
Then again, IMO for Dos with its heavy weapons, weak reactor and mighty thrusters "shoot and dodge on fly-by, then recharge, turn and strafe them again" works better than just diving into melee head-on.
Compare:
Progeny.stock: for 24.2 g aft 14.5 g lat 8.1 g, hull 165 VSD upgrade: 230 m^3
Shizu.stock: for/aft/lat 13.8 g, hull 255 VSD upgrade: 450 m^3
Dostoevsky.stock: for 38.7 g aft 28.4 g lat 12.9 g, hull 250 VSD upgrade: 125 m^3. Lancelot.stock: for 20.2 g aft 16.5 g lat 3.7 g, hull 700 VSD upgrade: 725 m^3.
Admonisher.stock: for 7.9 g aft 6.4 g lat 1.6 g, hull 700 VSD upgrade: 1200 m^3.
Zhuanzong.stock: for/aft/lat 10.2 g, hull 275 VSD upgrade: 200 m^3. Taizong.stock: for/aft/lat 9.2 g, hull 1200 VSD upgrade: 1500 m^3.
YMMV, but if Tractor isn't needed Shizu may be the best light fighter: 2x Medium mounts, great lateral and good (Robin > Shizu > Hyena > Sickle) forward acceleration, sturdier than Dos - and cheaper than Progeny.stock :)
Zhuanzong is tricky, but since it's from 4xIR-lasers to 4xKtek beams, it makes a good "glass cannon".
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

rlaan ships totally rely on close range dogfights.
they mostly use this 900m vaporize anything <capship beam, or short range, rapid fire dumpfire missiles, with really poor mounted guns at their disposal.
your best bet against any type of rlaan is to stay at a safe range of 5000+ and show them what razors are good for. ;)

its pretty much like a fight zero vs corsair, keep up your pace and the zero will have a hard time dodging your attacks while being pretty much unable to fight back.
hence youll be using large caliber far reach cannons, and can spam death from above out of a safe distance, instead of your opponents 6x rapid fire mgs you shouldnt come too close to.
your energy fighter will ensure that you will NOT come to close to sayd nasty maschiene guns, against a highly manouverable but pretty slow target, granted that you dont screw up and maintain your pace.
...engage in a furrball will lead to certain doom however.

with the poor ai they might be a funny thing to toy around with, but they are no real option to lets say a nicander(great for a massacre at the local pirate encampment to restore some faction) or franklin(wich comes with a fairly large cargo hold, slots for 4xrazors, 2 pd-turrets, 2 tractors or cripplers, even torpedoes and runs at a 2300whatever/s combatspeed with HUGE accelleration).

allso, does anyone have an idea where one could get a .milspec franklin?
if you have the cash to outfit them properly, the .stock ones really make any faction specced variants look very bad(ok the milspecced have a higher combat speed, but if you work the flight assistance properly that doesent really matter at all. in exchange you get tons of hps, huge capaciators and the shady mechanics most milspecs refuse to work with), but since there isnt a .stock version and milspecced franklins have few restrictions only...
i really would want to try one out, but same as i couldnt find a milspec clydesdale, i werent able to locate a planet or station that sells them.
they are included in the units.csv, no clue where to lookup for availability tho. :oops:
ive neveer seen "passenger" fraction categories at the ship dealer at all if i remember correctly. ~~

/edit: as a personal sidenote: from a objective kind of view the franklin for sure is the best ship you can go with on a regular basis.
cargo hold is enough for allmost any mission or tractored cargo/pilots.
you have really really nasty fiewpower granted that you equip it properly, autofiring pd turrets, even enough room for a passanger quarter and get all this on a nimble vessel that outspeeds a gawain and even get compareable for/aft thrust, with considerably higher lateral thrust and vast fuel capacity.
i think most people dont fly it coz it looks kinda boring. :p
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

Hehe, you should check out the Taizong or the Zhoungzong. The Zhoungzong has 4 large mounts. The Taizong has 2 large, 2 small and one special/missle. All have great maneuverability, but are a bit slow. The Ktek Beam has 3780 damage at 7515 meters. You can also use razors if you want. They have a higher range, but need more individual hits, very hard at distance against a maneuvering target. I will take the auto-tracking Ktek Beams anyday. I like the Taizong very much, except for cargo, since it only has 50 cubic meters (milspec variant). With it's upgrade room at 1500 cubic meters, it is a tougher nut to crack. Top Maneuver speed is 775. With two Kteks and two micro-drivers, it is more than a match for any non-capital ship you go up against in the game and the extra mount can be used for tractors (don't remember if I had to upgrade it to tractor capability though). Head to Head against another player, you might have trouble, other than that, it is an outstanding fighter. The Zhoungzong.milspec has the same cargo space and only 200 cubic meters of upgrade, so I haven't played with it very much as I still prefer the Franklin.

The Franklin variants, other than Hunter, have been removed from the game. The only way to get them is to hack your save file to include them. They are still in the units.csv. The variant with 4 large mounts is very nice. Defense is a bit weak but anything short of cap-ships within the range of the Kteks is toast in seconds. I have also used Franklin's, Hunter spec, against cap-ships and stations. Do High speed runs targeting turrets, then move in to finish the kill. Don't use torpedoes against some cap-ships until you have taken down their turrets and shields however. With four Reapers or Ktek Beams, the Franklins are way over powered and nothing short of some cap-ships/stations is going to last more than a second or two. There really is not much of a challenge with a Franklin that has that much fire power. Only swarms are going to take you out. Even the Hunter Variant is very powerful when you install four Razors (assuming you can hit with them).

If you are doing bounty or other pure combat missions, the Taizong is pretty nice.

If you don't like the available ships, hack. Create your own.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

dunno, due to the lack of afterburner capability rlaan ships are sorta too slugish for my gusto(and yeah its a shame fraklins cant mount lvl15 shields with a sufficient reactor, like most combat vesseld do. well if you want a passanger quarter it is. ~~).
those beams are indeed great, i wonder if theyre available as turrets for the franklin, whose standard turrets have waaaaay to few hps, and get destroyed too frequently.
you can mount capship turrets on your franklin, but that just looks too rediculous. :p
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Benison wrote:dunno, due to the lack of afterburner capability rlaan ships are sorta too slugish for my gusto
Depends on what you're trying to do. They aren't good for fly-by, though of course you can accelerate from out of range.
Disengaging takes a lot more time, but it's not like you can't dodge or withstand an occasional hit.
Turrets are sort of fun, but with current bugs,. IMO better without. "target incoming missile, lock - turn - blast with autotracking beams" is a bit slower, but most of the time works fine. :)
Benison wrote:i wonder if theyre available as turrets for the franklin, whose standard turrets have waaaaay to few hps, and get destroyed too frequently.
No, see data/units/subunits/size.txt: they only come in medium, capship, capshippd.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

thats another thing that seems rather "buggy".
you can mount light_capship turrets on a franklin. ~~

btw, whats with this pirate-vessel?
worth the hassle of getting one(its not easy to FIND any pirate controlled mines, and ofc you have to land on em too, wich pirates usually dont like you to.)?
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

Rlaan ships don't have afterburners? I never noticed. I rarely use afterburner. However, if you really want them to, you can add it. Some may not like ship hacking, but to me it is like doing things in the "real world". Shady mechanics and other upgrades are the equivalent to current after market parts suppliers and "bolt on" shops. They offer pre-built packages that do not need other customizations to install. Ship hacking is the same as someone taking a car into their garage and doing things that the manufacturer (and yes, sometimes the law) didn't have in mind for it. If you have the skill and knowledge, you can do a lot of things. Say like put Corvette motors into Pontiac Fieros, 351 big block motors into Mazda Miatas or even putting twin turbos on a Corvette (yes, these have actually been done in "real life"). If you want afterburners, improved handling, or even Rlaan CapShip Ktek pods on your Franklin, pull it into your personal garage, grab the torch and welder (metaphorically of course) and go to work. If you feel it is cheating to do so because you don't pay for them, then buy a couple of AI Cores and dump them into space, there, you paid for them.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

However, if you really want them to, you can add it.
nope you cant, and thats the soledom reason i dont like them. :p
my playstyle relies on afterburning alot, wich makes rlaan ships in general no real option.

as for the hacking savegames: im atm "testing" whats possible on a netgame with default settings.
that ofc requires you to use stuff wich is aquirable by default means, therefore i only pick up stuff wich is actually sold in the svn version.
hopefully ships will be changeable on the mp-server at all in the near future. this even gimped lama you get really isnt any fun to play with.

btw, i cant find any pirate-mining base whatsoever.
seems like i drove them to the edge of eradication, and in those 2 last systems remaining there arent any mines.
is there a way to influence the ongoing skirmishes between the pirates and the other fractions, so they will eventually conquer new systems?
shooting a couple of dozend ships in theyr own system while a attack fleet is present will cause them to loose control over a sektor sometimes, couldnt find a way to make it work the other way round. ~~

as a sidenote: this whole "custom ships" thingy is the reason i dislike milspec versions and, despite for the goddard, i dont use them in general.
imho a milspec version should be somewhat superior to the stock modells, wich isnt the case atm, even tho its alot more expensive.