New player

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
greens
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

New player

Post by greens »

Ha, secret question involved Trig thats awesome.
Anyway Just started playing Vegastrike, it is enjoyable.
Issues i am having:
It takes me like 10 hours to jump or dock, ok its prolly like 2 min, but floating in space its aggrivating, i Auto pilot in and finish off the distance manually, then OH NO i undershot it and go drifting by, when i try to manuever i continue to drift the initial direction, although realistic (sum of the forces) it should respond eventually... On the same note, if i do make a mistake, it takes no joke 5 min for me to get back to a velocity of zero, deceleartion takes forever. If i dont decelerate to zero i just continue to drift, and can only accelearte away from the object i was originally headed toward... its really odd.
This doesnt happen every time, sometimes i spec in nice with no problems.
Game crashed all the time. When id press w (trying to move forward, stupid rpgs) anyway it trys to switch missles, there is no missle, and it crashes. I also crash when undocking occasionaly (game not collision). I did fix this issue tho, vssetup -> no sound there is still sound, but it doesnt crash. I also had to turn off my screensaver as that was causing crashes.
My questions really come down to
Is there anywhere i can see a legit keymap? I have a feeling im just not piloting my ship right.
Oh and on bounty missions i literally get close, see the hostile, and npcs blow it up. I mean i get credit but its just not as fun heh.
anyway great game.
ANY advice would be awesome. Totally capable of cheating i just would rather not actually, i won't.
like i said, any advice for a noob. Pretty quick but the layout of the game causes a curve
greens

Re: New player

Post by greens »

I saw something about the Shelton Slide?
It would feel like thats what I'm doing. Also, is the horrible change in my accel and deaccel due to full/empty cargo. Sometimes i fly fine, other times i continue to smash into the station even though im turned around hammering the tab button (afterburners) anyway i tried a tip on using ' to change that slide thing, to no avail. Again a keymap would be helpful.
wtf is FCOMP? its on. always.
This game would be great if i didnt have these HUGE delays docking and undocking.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Hi greens and welcome first to answer your last question yes acceleration is affected by whether you have cargo as it adds mass at the empty state the auto-pilot will drop you out about 2500 meters from your target if it's a base and your speed is measured in meters/sec but also remember that it's really velocity speed and direction a vector the FCOMP flight control computer takes care of lateral thrusters so that you are travelling in the direction of your target as for a keymap check the documentation folder the last pages of the PDF manual has such a keymap Shelton slide does not change your direction of travel it just allows you pivot about your centre of mass to shoot at pursuing ships without losing way to your target.And steering is much easier using glide mouse watch the green cursor if it is round your velocity is all forward and will change shape as you move off target.Now that should be enough for you to chew on for now do have a look at that manual some good tips on basic space flight in there as well as that keymap ;) and we are more a space flight simulator than game so the it's real physics at play with few concessions to game play the percent mass on your HUD is very important as you have discovered.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

loki1950 wrote:... the percent mass on your HUD is very important as you have discovered.
Yes, this point is very important. Personally, I don't like to carry more than 1000%, or ten times my ship's base mass. The ship really starts to drag beyond that.

Here's a helpful hint (and keep a calculator handy): When you're trading cargo, use the 'INFO' button to check your ship's mass. You'll need to select the 'Ship Stats' button, and then find the 'Mass' entry under [GENERAL INFORMATION] right near the top. When you're ship's completely empty, this will be its base mass, or a little above with upgrades. Write it down for reference.

VS only shows your load percentage in flight, so you'll need to calculate it when loading cargo. If you check that Mass entry I mentioned after loading, it includes the mass of the cargo. Divide that by the base mass you already took (here's where you'll want the calculator), and then multiply that by 100 for the percentage.

You'll probably want to get an idea how much to take on before you load up. If you want to stick to the 1000% I prefer, you should take your base mass, and multiply it by nine. That's ten times the base mass, MINUS the mass of the ship itself. Divide that by the unit mass of whatever you want to carry, to get the number of units to load. Of course, if you're taking on several types of cargo at once, it'll get a little more complicated, but you'll usually probably prefer to take on as much as you can of the one thing that gives you the best profit margin. Learning THAT is an exercise I'll leave to the reader. :P Actually, here's a little inside information, if you want it. :wink:

You really do want to check your unit masses, and volumes, too. You can take on a boatload of stuff like food or liquor, and barely notice it. Then, you'll fill your hold with dense ores and metals, and suddenly find yourself straining to move as the pirates swarm in! High cargo volume won't slow you down the same way, but you can't carry as much. That will limit how much you can make on a run. Check that link above.

Good luck, and have fun! :)