Passenger Quarters: Is There a Point?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Passenger Quarters: Is There a Point?

Post by athomic1 »

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but here goes.

I've been looking at the Passenger Quarters upgrades for awhile. They look like a cool option for the enterprising privateer, but I couldn't tell at all how they might work. It's not like you can't carry passengers WITHOUT the upgrade, since you can accept cargo missions where you carry 'em frozen. I wondered if maybe adding quarters might make new/special missions available, but that didn't seem to happen when I finally broke down and bought a Comfort class for my Shizu. I also noticed that you can only buy one of these. After that, the rest are red/unavailable.

So... does anyone know? Is there any point to this upgrade?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Passenger Quarters: Is There a Point?

Post by loki1950 »

There are a few rare missions that call for ferrying some passenger so they do have a purpose.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

Are those cargo missions, or something else? I've seen at least a couple such missions with passengers, but those just seem to have you carry them as cargo, so you don't actually need the PQ upgrade...?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There are different classes of passenger have a look through the master_part_list.cvs there are
First class,Business class,Frozen Colonist and the occasional Hicthhiker :mrgreen: besides i can thick of lots of story elements to work with given that they exist as units if only as cargo.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

Yes, but what I want to know is, is there any point to actually installing passenger quarters? It doesn't seem like it, if you can just take on any passengers as cargo, but then, why do the quarters upgrades exist? What are they supposed to do? Does anyone know how they're supposed to work?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There may be a check that you have the quarters before the missions even show up as available they may be cargo but they require special handling.But i can not be sure as i have not dissected the code.

athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

Yeah, that might be, though it doesn't actually seem to matter. I've seen missions for both "Passenger" and "Economy Passenger" cargo, when the upgrade I have is for Comfort grade quarters. Of course, that could mean up TO comfort class, but... *shrug*

I'll probably just take it out. Having reached the level of AI cores just hauling freight, the cargo missions just aren't lucrative enough to be interesting anymore, and the passenger missions don't seem to be an exception. A pity, really. I was kind of hoping the PQ upgrades might unlock something more interesting. Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to try something else. :)
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

So far I have yet to have a problem carrying "passenger cargo" missions without passenger accommodations. Perhaps that is one area that needs to be developed/corrected. I have purchased some passenger accommodations just to say I did it. But I have never needed them to actually run missions where you have passengers as a cargo mission.
Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

I thought you needed them to carry the pilots from rescue missions! :shock: Im gonna sell my passenger quarters now. Thanks for the info everyone! :lol:
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

Laraso wrote:I thought you needed them to carry the pilots from rescue missions! :shock: Im gonna sell my passenger quarters now. Thanks for the info everyone! :lol:
I just popped a Comfort Class module into my new Lancelot. I don't see it doing beans for my business, but the Lance gots LOTS of upgrade space just goin' to waste, and classy accommodation seems just the thing to cap off a Highborn ship.

Now, if someone could tell us just WHY you can only add one quarters module...?
scouto2
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by scouto2 »

Here's a rather interesting track that could be inserted into the next release with minimal coding:

Certain ships can have any number of passenger quarters, and depending on the quality of the planet, a certain number of each passenger will be generated.

They would be exactly like cargo and would function much the same, but the selling price would be higher than the buying price. To prevent exploitation of this, there would be a check to make sure that the passengers had not came from that planet. Also, it would cost money to transport them (think of food, supplies, etc...)

Different passengers

Low-class: 50-100 credits to "buy", 100-150% profit; requires cryo-chamber. 10 per chamber.
Economy class: 500-700 credits to "buy", 200-300% profit; requires economy class. 5 per economy class.
Businessmen:1k-5k credits to "buy", 300-500% profit; requires first class. 2 per first class.
CEO: 10k-50k to "buy", 100-500% profit; requires comfort class. 1 per comfort class.

The game would use a "roll" of the dice upon purchase to determine (unkown to the player) the % profit.
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

This solution kinda reminded me of old good Transport Tycoon (and OTTD), where you can transport passengers anywhere.
Passengers won't get off anywhere, unless they just desperately want to get off the planet (base). Perhaps, this solution...
There will be 4 kinds of passengers, each requiring different quarters...after all, a successful businessman won't travel in cryochamber, and hitchhiker won't have money for luxury. These will act like a cargo, but will be bound to cargo missions only, not free market.
Mhiester
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Mhiester »

athomic1 wrote:Now, if someone could tell us just WHY you can only add one quarters module...?

I think the idea of adding 1 unit of passenger quarters represents the idea of outfitting a ship with enough space for how many ever passengers you will ever carry. I mean, adding 2 units would be like having no isle on that 757 that almost didn't take off :lol: ..... :|
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

Mhiester wrote:I think the idea of adding 1 unit of passenger quarters represents the idea of outfitting a ship with enough space for how many ever passengers you will ever carry.
Not quite.

If you look at the description of each module, they tell you exactly how many each can take. The most any accommodates is four passengers, and I think that's just the economy package. The rest are only two, or even just one(?) for the cryo chamber.

What really made me question the point is that having or not having one of these modules (you can't even have two DIFFERENT ones!) doesn't seem to affect your ability to take on passengers as cargo. Passenger missions are often available on the mission computers, as well as from merchant fixers, whether you have the modules or not.

I just get the impression this particular "upgrade" needs a bit more work before it's "ready".
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I have carried passengers (passenger cargo missions) without ever having to purchase the passenger quarters. Since the game is only at 0.5.0 I figure it is something in the planning stages which is not really implemented fully yet. As for not being able to have more than one quarters 'upgrade' it does seem somewhat silly as long as you have the space and credits to purchase them. That is also probably something on the to do list.