A few questions about combat and targeting...

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Obu
Merchant
Merchant

A few questions about combat and targeting...

Post by Obu »

Hi all,

I hope it is the good place to post this.
I finished yesterday a play a bit desapointed....
First, I start my previous game in an far from earth system, undoubtly at the frontieres, because it's full of rlaan ship ! It's amazing the number of vidars, lodurs and other ships :shock: perhaps 200 I don't know !!! But i'm looking for a jump... and to find it cycling with 'n' key is problematic : it takes me several minutes to find it, so many ships to pass before !!! And when unfortunatly I miss it, OK try again and cycle again :lol: So I wondered if there is not another way to get this hell of jump easier that typing on 'n' hundreds of times ???
Second, i finally succeeded to make enugh money to by another ship, because when i finally find this jump, 2 areus wait for me and strike me in just 3 seconds !! I first tried with a gawain, but it's perhaps a bit expensive and i couldn't beat it. then I tried an admonisher... heavyer equiped this time, but not enough it seems... What kind of ship (and what's the most critical weapons) you use to succed against these fucky damned ships :evil: ?? Did somebody here beat an areus whit those vessels ? Even with a Llama :shock: ?
Perhaps i'm a bad pilot, but i already destroyed other Llamas with my own one... So is it possible to destroy or ariston with it ?
Thanks for help !!
Xante
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Xante »

You'll never start your game in the earth's sol system, but allway in the Cephid_17 system. But as far as I know, this has never been a Rlaan system. Then again, since the systems are made randomly, maybe there's a little chance so it can be... Or there was maybe a battle going on there, with Rlaan invasion forces.

To get the nearest jump point, I think you have to hit Alt+K (or was it Shift+K, one was for nearest station, the other for nearest jump point. Ctrl+K is for nearest planet an K alone for nearest friendly ship).

And by the way, if you hit Shift+N, T or U you start circling trough the targets the other way round, so if you "miss" your target you can still go back without retargeting the whole system.

For the rest, maybe you need some practice before attacking them, maybe you have not enough upgrades, I don't know, but for the moment you may be better off fleeing and do cargo missions until you handle the game quite a bit.
Obu
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Obu »

Thanks Xante for you reply ;)

Yes, i started the game with Cepheid-17, that's right (i'had never had something else in fact, perhaps have to be more accurate when i write ;) ). The rlaan system in which i'm now is one i reached after i made many cargo missions ;) But i'm a bit tired to make cargo so wanted to try something else like patrols and other kind of combat.
in fact i already had some success against dodos, hyenas and even llamas (ulns don't like me :lol:), but there, with aeras and there ships, it seems to be another kind of job :roll:
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

But i'm looking for a jump... and to find it cycling with 'n' key is problematic : it takes me several minutes to find it, so many ships to pass before !!! And when unfortunatly I miss it, OK try again and cycle again Laughing So I wondered if there is not another way to get this hell of jump easier that typing on 'n' hundreds of times ???
1. Normally "n" key doesn't target ships, but i also recognized in some cases you have a lot to cycle through. When you miss your target you might try the the "N"key (shift + n), that should reverse your search (same with "t" key)

2. It occured to me, that somehow your targeter can't find a jumppoint, then i use the navcomputer (shift+m = on/off) and switch the "nav/info" button to view the systemmap, where you can use your mouse (wheel for (un)zoom) to locate known targets. When you find it click on it and it should be your target.

btw. AERA ships are though
Enjoy the Tri p :shock:
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
Xante
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Xante »

Oh, ok, ooops, I didn't realize that areus are aera ships. I'm quite new here too. Indeed, I wouldn't engage against aera ships with a Llama, even against smallest aera ships, since their tech is quite advanced. I personally have a goddard, wich kicks quite a fiew aera ship's butt, but then again it's a light cap ship. I have something like no experience with fighters, so I can't tell wich one's the best. Maybe you can deduce it by looking at the prices ;)

Then, it seems you're not yet familiarized with game controls, so I suggest you have a look at the manual. Some game details, once known, slightly improve one's fighting abilities ;) (Like "R" for nearest hostile target, wich I didn't knew for quite a long time).
Obu
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Obu »

Thanks to you two ()Alf and Xante !

Ok for the tips ! i see that (but i thought the same think nearly) trying to strike an aeran ship with a llama is just like trying to kill an elephant with a plulme :roll:
for targetting, in fact (if i do really understand, but...) 'n' cycle through 'neutral' targets, right ?? So if it is the case, i think it's normal i get them through 'n' key because rlaan's are ok with me. Am i right ?
About manual, yes i've a lot to learn, VS is a pretty big piece of game to understand all those possibilities. And i have another problem which is the use of an 'azerty' keyboard (haaa, those froggy french people :lol:...)... so there are times were i don't find any key matching the one with 'qwerty' conterparts :roll: Even editing the vegastrike.config isn't an easy turnarround as there are characters making the game crash...
That also doesn't help !!

;)
Xante
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Xante »

"T" targets just everything
"N" circles through "natural" targets, like planets, jump points. That ships got selcted as well is not the way it should be and a bug I think.
"U" circles through "unnatural" targets, like ships
"H" circles through "hostile" targets, whatever they are (I forgot this one, handy if you want to engage the cap ship behind the fighters first)

"P" is also quite usefull, since it targets the item that is closest to your target cross, so you can "aim" at the target you want to select and then hit "P".

But since you have a french keyboard, you'll have to "translate" all those keys. "W" will then be "Z" etc... I think if you write it down somewhere it can be the easyest way to do.
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

Normally i get navigational fixpoints with 'n'key like planets, jumpnodes and stations (and sun(s)). I don't know why i get more at other times.
The good thing is, you can hit pause and take time to search your target ;)
there are times were i don't find any key matching the one with 'qwerty' conterparts
Well, i think there shouldn't be probs with normal letters, my 'z' is 'z' on my german "qwertz" board. But for instance, when changing 'q' key to another function, it isn't quitting the game anymore on deathscreen because quit wasn't bound to 'q' but to Cockpit::PitchDown command (strange thing).

How about printing the bindings section, so you have a reference and could learn which command does (or doesn't) what.
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
Obu
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Obu »

Xante wrote: To get the nearest jump point, I think you have to hit Alt+K (or was it Shift+K, one was for nearest station, the other for nearest jump point. Ctrl+K is for nearest planet an K alone for nearest friendly ship).
Hello,

looking at my vegastrike.config, i saw that it doesn't contain anything about 'k' or 'K'... :(
I think my version is old and i will have to look at loading some new one...
For the remaining, works OK ;)
Well, I will try to make a few more money before trying bigger battles : perhaps finding some hyenas or other light ships like that to strike will help to be more confortable with combat...
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

Well, I will try to make a few more money before trying bigger battles
It may get a little easier with big ship and more firepower, but in generell it gets harder with every credit you earning to buy these things :P

Look here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10308
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

learning to fight in vegastrike is mostly just a matter of practice. I used to like flying around in a goddard destroying everybody, but now I find piloting a light fighter is much more fun. I like the Rlaan Taizong or the confed Dostoevsky :D

Have fun killing pirates!
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

is it me, or did the luddites get a FAT upgrade sheild wise in 0.5? My hyena's weapons do about 4.5 K damage, but I could not get through the luddites shields. The most I got through was the two out shielding, but that last shield held and my weapons needed to reload - one of the beams kept going, but the other three needed a reload or cooldown or somthing.
Impressive.
The Twitching Pattern - http://www.last.fm/music/The+Twitching+Pattern
Have a listen.
Obu
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Obu »

Flying for fight in vegastrike is quite a great trip yes :D and i'm sure that it will take time before i'm a good pilot ;)
the problem is that i don't own allready a goddard (a bit expensive perhaps :lol:) and fighting 2 areus and a hyena at the same time is quite a suicide with a llama :lol:
OK, i'm being killed in 2 seconds each time and i respawn immediatly, but they are here again each time i try :roll:
The only solution i found is using TC :( not very clean to save like this, no ?
Well, i leave now my admonisher for i while, and go back to commerce and cargo to make more money onboard my llama... that didn't allow me not to be destroyed a few times again, but TC and saved games permit to progress slowly and surely ;)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Boaal wrote:is it me, or did the luddites get a FAT upgrade sheild wise in 0.5? My hyena's weapons do about 4.5 K damage, but I could not get through the luddites shields. The most I got through was the two out shielding, but that last shield held and my weapons needed to reload - one of the beams kept going, but the other three needed a reload or cooldown or somthing.
Impressive.
I don't recall buffing the Redeemer shields significantly, if at all. I am assuming the ship in question was a Redeemer. If it was a Mule, then yes, the shields have been upgraded.
Which weapons are you using? Many of the weapons have had their long-range integrity altered from 0.4.3 to 0.5 -- a number of weapons have much more noticeable damage falloff with range than before. However, a much larger number of weapons do at least some shield piercing damage now.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

Boaal wrote:is it me, or did the luddites get a FAT upgrade sheild wise in 0.5? My hyena's weapons do about 4.5 K damage, but I could not get through the luddites shields. The most I got through was the two out shielding, but that last shield held and my weapons needed to reload - one of the beams kept going, but the other three needed a reload or cooldown or somthing.
Impressive.
I noticed this too with quite powerful weapons, then I tried (l)ocking the targeted Luddite. They now die like th' dogs they are. :)

It appears the (l)ocking now helps one get more or better hits on the target. I use it all the time in 0.5 as a result.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

wow i've never tried locking on. maybe it has an effect now. I don't think it did in the stable vers. :?:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It had an effect but it was subtle.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

does it help with autotracking?
i've found that in the svn autotracking beams seem to fire on the target but miss slightly. THey only seem to hit when your crosshairs are very close to the target. I wonder of they are bugged or just got less rigged since the stable version.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

For sure remember all mounts have some measure of auto-tracking adding the auto-tracking upgrade brings them to mil-spec :D hitting the lock toggle engages them.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Wow i should nave been doing that all along.

I'm gonna have to not post for a while b/c im getting really behind on homework :cry:
Hopefully I can stay off for a couple days until midterms
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yeah real life can interfere with fun but ace those mid-terms so you have brownie points for when you ask for that new rig :wink:

Obu
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Obu »

:shock: Just been stroke by a hyena... just one shoot and i'm dead :shock:
How is this possible ? What kind of beam a hyean can use to just at once crush an admonisher with full shield ? I thought hyenas could only mount lightweapons !!!!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Are you sure that it was a beam,dumbfire missiles only need one hit :shock:

()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

,dumbfire missiles only need one hit
Seems im really sucking at dumbfire shots, cause i never killed a light figter with 1 dumbfire :?
Obu
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Obu »

Well i didn't know that dumbfire could kill a ship all shields and hull functionnal just at once !
In general, i need several dumbfire to strike a ship, and i have to shoot its shileds before with lasers :?

But well perhaps, i don't know in fact...

Whatever, i think this will change for me because i tried yesterday the upgrade of VS using SVN... :D whooowww, the big difference it makes i find !! Keyboard layout seems better managed for azerty, game starting totaly modified, the game's also better looking and so ... I'll try to move my saved games to this version, but i think i will soon try the 0.5 if the diff is so great also !!