Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

I'll put a bunch up over the weekend.
JaseP
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JaseP »

Let me say again (for those who were bantering about the legal rights issues),...

since you don't own the intellectual property that is, for example, an X-Wing Fighter, a TIE fighter, a Galaxy Class starship, a Constitution class starship (LucasFilm and Paramount do), you cannot have ownership of your meshes that resemble those things. It doesn't matter that it's not bit-for-bit. What matters is that the orignal IDEA and images for those things are owned by someone else.

The way you get by this stuff, is that you don't sell the mods. If you did, you would essentially be stealing revenue from the original owners of those things. Since you don't sell them, you don't get enriched, and therefor the "damages" that LucasFilm and Paramount suffer are more limited. They theoretically could build a case for copyright infringement for lost revenue because of your work, but it is less likely (bad press of suing fans and all... ).

Since VegaStrike is a fairly contained phenomena, and the mods are not part of the official game,... the Vega Strike project will be un-effected. However, LucasArts and Paramount could theortically bring a suit seeking an injuction against the modding work. It's unlikely to happen, but it could.
SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional Edition User
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Yeah, I think JaseP nailed it.

Got any new screenshots for us, Hurley?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

I lied ;) very busy weekend, lots of school work today too, though i'll see about tommorow.
Angel29103
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Angel29103 »

exactly so. You should use the music from X-Wing alliance.
I once tried to cover star wars music with my band, but hell you
gonna need a whole orcestra for this.
By the Way , I hate you, for the A-wing looking so much better than the one i made :wink:
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Angel29103 wrote:exactly so. You should use the music from X-Wing alliance.
I once tried to cover star wars music with my band, but hell you
gonna need a whole orcestra for this.
By the Way , I hate you, for the A-wing looking so much better than the one i made :wink:
Yeah, and just hope that Lucasarts or whoever is responsible for X-Wing alliance just happens to not care about their copyright being abused.

Shortcuts usually have ramifications. Be careful.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

do you think a 30-40 peice band might do it? I know the katana music can be done by as little as 6 or so people.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hurleybird wrote:do you think a 30-40 peice band might do it? I know the katana music can be done by as little as 6 or so people.
my school band (between 35 and 60 depending on the year) managed to do phantom menace stuff really well....no recordings :-( we also did part of the original sw theme..again no recording :-(

Dan.a

Post by Guest »

@charlieg as discussed several times before. You're abusing copyright even, if you make mod with sth. looking like a lucasarts ship.

Well ok if you are talking about orchestras, they will certainly do it. We'll
I just have 5 person rock band. You see....
But covering would break copyright laws aswell, so I'd propose not to reinvent the wheel.
Angel29103
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Angel29103 »

^
||
||
was me

damn auto log in.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

If you have original's of the music and distribute the music freely, is that still breaking copy-right?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I believe it is.

I think using custom recordings of the copyrighted stuff may be somewhat questionable... but I'm not certain how bad that is. Definately better than using the real thing.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

what are you doing for vega trek music wise?

providing the music as an add-on pack might be better, and than if Lucasarts has any beef with the music just to take down that pack.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Well, there's a few things I"ve been thinking of doing.

1. Nothing
2. Doing up and recording some quick Trek-ish (but original) pieces with my midi skillz
3. Snag free classical midis / recordings that are free of copyright.

One of the three.
SCFan42

Post by SCFan42 »

This is probably the only time I'm gonna post here so I didn't bother joining up... though if I post again I will!

I think it might be a good idea to ask some of the folks over at the X-wing Alliance Upgrade to see if you could use some of the 3d models they've made for X-wing Alliance (latest X-wing game, five years old) since they do look really good and could help get Vega Wars released faster :wink:

XWAU

And some screenies of a bit of their work:
X-wing
B-wing
TIE Defender
Imperator Class Star Destroyer
Correlian Corvette
broadsword
Trader
Trader

Post by broadsword »

hey Hurley... anything happening with this mod yet?
There is no merit where there is not trial; and till experience stamps the mark of strength, fools may past for heroes, and faith for falsehood.
-Aaron Hill (1685-1750)
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Not much (me lazy). I hope to actually get something working and fun put together over summer holidays though.
forlarren
Merchant
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

JaseP wrote:Let me say again (for those who were bantering about the legal rights issues),...

since you don't own the intellectual property that is, for example, an X-Wing Fighter, a TIE fighter, a Galaxy Class starship, a Constitution class starship (LucasFilm and Paramount do), you cannot have ownership of your meshes that resemble those things. It doesn't matter that it's not bit-for-bit. What matters is that the orignal IDEA and images for those things are owned by someone else.
Sorry but this is completely wrong. When you make the mesh you get all rights to copy that mesh (I hate the term copyright, and dont even get me started on IP :evil: ). What you dont own is the right to publish the likeness or name of the existing GL work ie. your new X-Wing mesh. But the mesh is still yours. You own it for lack of a better word. George cant just come along and say "Gee that mesh is pretty, think I'll use it in my next movie." George would have to make his own mesh. But he can stop you from publishing your own mesh. Get it?

warning IANAL but I play one in my head
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

forlarren wrote:
JaseP wrote:Let me say again (for those who were bantering about the legal rights issues),...

Sorry but this is completely wrong. When you make the mesh you get all rights to copy that mesh (I hate the term copyright, and dont even get me started on IP :evil: ). What you dont own is the right to publish the likeness or name of the existing GL work ie. your new X-Wing mesh. But the mesh is still yours. You own it for lack of a better word. George cant just come along and say "Gee that mesh is pretty, think I'll use it in my next movie." George would have to make his own mesh. But he can stop you from publishing your own mesh. Get it?

warning IANAL but I play one in my head
Every heard the words "derivative works"? You do have copyright, but it defers to the copyright of the author of the "original work"; therefore, George could indeed use any Star Wars derivative workhe wanted to, including, but not limited to, meshes, artwork, music, stories, etc.

If you make something original in the Star Wars style, however, it's wholly yours, but any likeness of Star Wars vehicles, characters, planets, logos, fonts, kitchen sinks, and related indica are (c) LucasFilm.
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu
Smurfy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Smurfy »

I know this is old but good point, therefore, why don't we make the mod similar to star wars creations? i.e. vehicles varying in design like say 300 A.B.Y? To my knowledge, the latest legacy series of comics as only reached 120 A.B.Y and that contains variations then of the original ships and starfighters. One example is that the version 9 of the X-Wing is apparently twin-tailed (attached at the back a bit like the llama from VS). If people can make variations on the models like that, it would still have the star wars style but we would probably be safe from lucasarts.

Although, i've never heard of lucasarts sueing anyone and they actually commented that they thought Revelations was a very good piece of work. If someone emails them on behalf of the project asking if it would be fine to make our own meshes and models based on star wars stuff, they might create a written document or at least a signed one allowing us to carry on like normal. I know there's been some good work so far because of the comments (even though i can't see the images :() so would it be easy to edit those existing models?