Vega Trek Freeplay Mode Brainstorming

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Vega Trek Freeplay Mode Brainstorming

Post by Nano_Lite »

A freeplay mode is perhaps one of the more beneficial goals for this project. It will allow the player to be immersed in the virtual Star Trek universe. While it may not yet be implemented in the current release, perhaps we can brainstorm what IS needed to implement freeplay.

And by "Freeplay Mode" I mean a mode that isn't confined to the missions of the current version, in which you pick a mission, blow up some BoP's, then simply cruise around aimlessly or quit. Freeplay mode would be a lot like Vega Strike, in which you start out with a smaller ship (Danube Class?? Or how about a Nova Class?), then proceed however you please until you amass a fleet of ships, from your humble starter ship to the massive "Mac-Daddy" ship. In Vega Strike, this is the Clydesdale. In Vega Trek, this should be the Sovereign Class or Galaxy Class.

However, instant action missions could play a big role in Vega Trek as well. Consider many commercial Fighter Combat games. Not only is there a carreer mode, but also an instant action mode, in which you can build a quick mission for you to fly. I think that this should be implemented in Vega Trek as a "Holodeck Mode", where in your spare time, you leave the big chair when things get boring, and head to the Holodeck for some recreation. No, I'm not talking about Orion slave girls on Risa ;P I'm talking about INSTANT ACTION MISSIONS!!! =O Basically, you pick YOUR ship (or fleet ;).......), then pick the enemy ships. (have a rough day??? then you can pick on anything from a tiny Maquis ship to a massive Borg cube, but with the strength and intelligence levels you want)
Then you pick your solar system, scenario, armament (phaser level, as well as number and type of torpedoes). Then you have fun. And if your "ship" gets blown up, you lose nothing. Just start over again. And when you're done, you can get back to your carreer as a Starfleet captain.

Also, I think that Holodeck mode should have a "Challenge Series" of premade Holodeck missions of varying difficulty, that once completed, unlock bonus rewards in Holodeck mode. For instance, you can't start out with fancy stuff like Quantum Torpedoes or Ablative Hull Generators, you need to complete certain Challenge missions to unlock them(only in the holodeck, you can get it anyway in the "real" world).

Any thoughts on this?
BE GOOD.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

A freeplay mode is perhaps one of the more beneficial goals for this project. It will allow the player to be immersed in the virtual Star Trek universe. While it may not yet be implemented in the current release, perhaps we can brainstorm what IS needed to implement freeplay.

And by "Freeplay Mode" I mean a mode that isn't confined to the missions of the current version, in which you pick a mission, blow up some BoP's, then simply cruise around aimlessly or quit. Freeplay mode would be a lot like Vega Strike, in which you start out with a smaller ship (Danube Class?? Or how about a Nova Class?), then proceed however you please until you amass a fleet of ships, from your humble starter ship to the massive "Mac-Daddy" ship. In Vega Strike, this is the Clydesdale. In Vega Trek, this should be the Sovereign Class or Galaxy Class.
And this is exactly what we are working on. Single missions or quick battles may be fun, but there are a lot of games already on the market that do this pretty well. What you never find is this free play mode, and that is what we want to do. Therefore we are spending a lot of time on the universe. Starting out would most likely with a warp-capable shuttle (type 9 ? delta flyer ?) and then its up to you. Of course, real battleships (romulan Bo`ps, Sovereign, Galaxy, Akira, NeghVar etc.) will not be available everywhere, maybe only by a special mission or so.
Quick battles can be done quite easily already, so that is not the problem.
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

Good point. However, my "Holodeck Mode" idea was for a built-in instant action mission editor. You can load and save your own missions, as well as premade challenge missions to unlock upgrades for your holodeck ships. That way, you can try out a Sovereign Class starship with Transphasic torpedoes and Ablative armor generators on the holodeck, but only if you've unlocked them in the holodeck. So, the built-in mission editor would add a lot to this project.
BE GOOD.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Can you guys tell me what progress you have made please.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Can you guys tell me what progress you have made please.
Currently we work on several ways:
1. Creating upgrades ( since I have to model upgrades, render them and fix stats by myself, process is going slow, but stable )

2. Works over universe observe tool, which will allow us to edit universe file ( space map ) in graphical mode -- this is my everyday routine. I've finished-up visuals and now working over edit-mode of tool.

3. Improving textures of planets/suns, editing planets types ( e.g. class A, B,C,D, and so on ) in order to make star systems more trekish

4. Adding new ships and improve existing ones. There is noone who want to help us arming ships, so this process is going slow, but also stable.

In other words there are only 2 people actually working over project, so process is slowed down. But we have no plans to stop :)
Works continue but they slowed down.
God bless you!
Tristan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tristan »

if you need any help with anything, I would be glad to lend a hand :)

If not.. s'all good :)
Lord_Sirius
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Lord_Sirius »

Hy all I'm the new guy....... :?

I really liked the Privateer game so I came to VegaStrike. I'm not much of a Trekkie but have to admit that I enjoyed some of the computer games,
mainly SFC:Empires at War (and yes, the TNG and Voyager TV-series weren't bad, either :wink: )
I tried an early version of VegaTrek, and it looks promising!

I would really like to play it Freeform, as suggested. I know the game is not that easy to mod (I'm tinkering with the small stuff right now),
and my ideas for improvement might be somewhat high-aiming, but nevertheless...

I imagine the "random missions" from PrivGold, but with impact on gameplay, like shipping needed supplies from coreworlds to outposts.
If the mission fails, or is ignored by the player, (...), the weakened station is likely to get overrun by enemy forces...

Or you are on patrol mission and you fail to spot a heavy-armed intruder-flightgroup which then attack the shipping lanes in your faction
sector (or the one beyond, even deeper in your space)

Your faction stands or falls, affected by the players actions (at least having noticable impact on the overall strength of your faction)

I think you get my meaning. Don't know if this is possible, but stuff like that would really make a difference compared to other mods.

Oh, yes, of course the player should actually be able to side with other forces in the quadrant . :roll:

Well, that would be my dream for VegaTrek. Unlikely, I know...but it's a DREAM!

Hope to have at least given some impulse for ideas.....
Anyway, go on with your good work!