Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

Kimusabi
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Little help?

Post by Kimusabi »

And to all a fair greeting's.
I've been playing on Vega-Strike for about 12 hour's now and I must say, and bluntly, it's kickass.
Anyway, onto my question.
I'm running on Linux (Ubuntu 6.06) so I was wondering, is there anyway around getting Vega-Trek to work?
From what I've seen, there's only a .zip for (what I can tell) Window's and a .dmg (Mac?).

Cheer's in advance,
-Kimmeh
Go on. Use Grammar.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You can extract the ZIP file inside a new directory like "/usr/local/vegatrek", and you should get a data directory.

Then, you have two choices.
You can copy the binaries from the vegastrike install dir into vegatrek,
Or you can run the full path to the binaries from inside the vegatrek directory: run "/path/to/vegastrike/bin/vegastrike", which will look in the current directory first and should find the vegatrek data instead.

Sorry if I explained this poorly.

Basically, make sure the current directory is the "vegatrek" directory, and use the full path to the binaries. If you want the soundserver (for music), you will need to copy that into vegatrek's "bin" directory.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Re: Little help?

Post by tillias »

Kimusabi wrote:And to all a fair greeting's.
I'm running on Linux (Ubuntu 6.06) so I was wondering, is there anyway around getting Vega-Trek to work?
From what I've seen, there's only a .zip for (what I can tell) Window's and a .dmg (Mac?).
Cheer's in advance,
-Kimmeh
Download Debelopers Version. BTW it is tar.bz2 and it is called "Developers" only because there is no time to finish some things due-to deadline.

I will update version somewhere in September or October, when things will be polished :)
God bless you!
Kimusabi
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Kimusabi »

Cheer's for the explanation guy's. I'll get round to doing either one of those once I wake up some more.

Thanks again,
-Kimmeh
Go on. Use Grammar.
Kimusabi
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Kimusabi »

Kay, I've woken up and tried both method's. Method 1 doesn't work what so ever ( No idea why) so I went with the Developer version of VT (Vega Trek).

I do have a question regarding the install process though. I downloaded and untarred both files, compiled and installed the engine but I'm stuck at what I do with the other folder (the one with all the data in =D).

I don't suppose someone could write a guide on how to install VegaTrek for Linux?

Cheer's (again)
-Kimmeh
Go on. Use Grammar.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Kimusabi wrote: I don't suppose someone could write a guide on how to install VegaTrek for Linux?

Cheer's (again)
-Kimmeh
Sure, will be ready in 2 hours :)
God bless you!
Kimusabi
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Kimusabi »

Yay!

Thank you and God bless
-Kimmeh
Go on. Use Grammar.