VegaTrek-0.3.0 DevelopersVersion

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

Post by Cruis.In »

hey, i asked you also for instructions on how to edit vega strike, so i can help modify certain things to make the universe transition to a star trek universe a faster process.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

choose

Post by tillias »

Cruis.In wrote:hey, i asked you also for instructions on how to edit vega strike, so i can help modify certain things to make the universe transition to a star trek universe a faster process.
Choose your best here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=7183
God bless you!
maxdb82
Explorer
Explorer

Setup problems, need help!

Post by maxdb82 »

Hy, I'm new to this forum but I'm truly not new to the Star Trek phenomenon (seen all that can be see) and space oriented computer games...
I've read carefully the topics of this VegaTrek and I enjoied thinking of a space-sim game like X2: the thread (one of my favourites) applied to the amazing universe of Star Trek.

So I've downloaded the game versions 0.2.0 and 0.3.0.

With the 0.2.0 there was only a very few ships and the gameplay was sometimes difficult to assimilate.
With the 0.3.0 the ships are very well designed (that sovereign class starship is awesome :P) and balanced and covers all the true 'era' of ST (a similar purpose to the upcoming game by Bethesda, ST:Legacy...). You all have my greatest appreciation for the well done work!!!

However I have this couple of malfunction when playing 0.3.0 that were not in 0.2.0...
1) when I start a new game/mission the game starts in a window an I cannot play it on fullscreen... :?
2) the setup.exe does not start at all...

PS: I've windows XP on a PC with 512MB ram, 2400~MHz, 128MB video card (ATI Radeon 9200), I hope someone could help me to enjoy the full potential of this grat project!

PPS: (does not matter at all) have you seen this?
--> :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6RzZo--Zs

Bye...
Do you know the one -- "All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by ..." You could feel the wind at your back, about you ... the sounds of the sea beneath you. And even if you take away the wind and the water, it's still the same.
The ship is yours ... you can feel her ... and the stars are still there.
---
James Tiberius Kirk, stardate 4729.4
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

Could someone please post a .zip file?? I'm too lazy to get the 3rd party utilities >_<
BE GOOD.
Lord_Sirius
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Lord_Sirius »

1) when I start a new game/mission the game starts in a window an I cannot play it on fullscreen...
2) the setup.exe does not start at all...
I have a similar problem. Now I edited the VegaStrike.cfg to tweak the Video settings, but still...

Somehow the warp mode won't work and the overall gameplay is screwed in some undefinable way.
prps one needs to link the pre-release and 0.3.0 together????
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Update

Post by esgaroth »

Just a short update to let you know where we stand at the moment.
We now have added Starbases for the major powers as well as shuttles and a few smaller stations. Planets are converted to star trek planet styles. A test universe map is available, but still is not working properly due to unknown reasons. Once the test map is working, we will make a new release with some nice missions and the possibility to explore this small map (35 star systems), to see whether automatic system generation works etc.

Live long and prosper !
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Update:
Universe map works, planet generation as well. Bases are incorporated and base scripts also work-even got faction-specific art working. Now only some nice missions are lacking, and then: release !
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I have a bit of experience with that, and I am currently working on a tutorial, just in case you need some help.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hi dilloh,
we need every help we can get.
Missions and programming stuff is tillias` part, but i havent reached him for 3 weeks now. Most likely, he is having some holidays after finishing this years exams. But definitely he wont be angry having less work. However, vegatrek is heavily modified comparing to vegastrike, so i dont know whether everything works the same as in vegastrike. We should try it and then learn. Just have seen your location: black forest. If this is the one in germany then i am not far away (lake constance) and we might have a phone call to discuss the details.
Best wishes,
Alex/Esgaroth
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I don't know any other black forests :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I can help you whenever you're stuck, but I have plenty of mission scripting work for PU, so please don't consider me as primary mission scripter for VegaTrek :wink:
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hi Dilloh,
i didnt expect anyone to volunteer for a major job, but someone with python knowledge whom i or tillias can ask if we are stuck will help a lot. Maybe not necessarily for mission scripting, but the next major goal will be to get the dynamic universe working in vega trek....
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Yeah, fine for me. Tilias already contacted me. I hope I can be of service :wink:
bobthe2lol
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bobthe2lol »

ok, i download it, i make a vegatreck folder in C:\Program Files\ and i extract it there. i go to C:\Program Files\Vegastrike-0.4.3\bin in windows explorer then i open up command prompt (start:run:"cmd") and i put "vegastrike.exe defiant.mission" it says:" C:\Documents and Settings\(my name)>"vegastrike.exe defiant.mission"
'vegastrike.exe" is not recognised an an enternal or external command, opperable program or batch file"
WHAT OD I DOOOOO?!?! yes, i did install vegastrike corectly. i looked in the vegastrike bin folder and there IS a vegastrike.exe file. thats odd. rsvp.
bobthe2lol
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bobthe2lol »

ok, i'm out of ideas. i just spent the last hour and a half trying to figure out how to do it. i think i know whst to do just not how to do it. what i think i have to do is either move my vegastriek folder and vega treck folder ot my desktop and so it or somehow chance the directory that my command prompt goes to from docs and settings desktop to programfiles
if you know how to do that please tell me... in the mean time... i think i'll move bolth of the folders to C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop.
bobthe2lol
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bobthe2lol »

ok, FINALY i got it working to the point of which it doesn't give me any errors but NOW it doesn't do a darnded thing when i put in "vegastrike.exe galor.mission" i am useing the galor mission, if that won't work, i'll try defiant like you said. i just tryed it, nothing. it doesn't do anything but page for about 2 seconds and them lies still again. no screen changeing, no loading, no nothing. help me please.
master_666
Explorer
Explorer

Duell mission

Post by master_666 »

Hi

i've a question

what is with the duell mission? In the older version of vegatrek there come new ships when i destroy them. But this is not so in the new vegatrek!
why :?:

mfg
master_666
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Because this is a dev version and those missions are only for testing and balancing ships...
If you like, you can download the latest dev version via svn from https://vegatrek.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vegatrek
With this, you can e.g. start the defiant mission and fly around in the universe, warp to other systems and have a look at Qonos or Romulus, even have some trade... hovever, no encounters with other ships except the initial galors, no missions etc.
As soon as we have someone with some idea of python the project will progress quite soon-without, it will take a lot of time to get this working.