nebulae

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: nebulae

Post by klauss »

lol, no, it was on the windows box. Quite a few of its HDs died not-so-recently, but I'm sure I had backups. Just not sure where I had them ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

esgaroth wrote: Probably I expect too much. When looking very close, there probably is a very tiny effect - I simply dont know what to expect. I´ve added a video with a short flight in the asteroid field. Should there be more crater effect ?
I definitely can't see any normal mapping functioning in that video. It's hard to tell if there is any dynamic per-pixel lighting in that scene in fact, it may only be vertex lighting (normal maps require the former to work, I think it is the same for specular maps).
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hmm, I ported the asteroids over into my vegastrike 0.5.1 beta install - no difference in Cephid 17 visible.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

That's odd. I was not able to get 0.5.1 beta working on the windows 7 test system, but I just tested again on 0.5.0 and the asteroid normal maps do work in that version, but they do so very poorly in Cephid 17. I had forgotten how nearly invisible they are, you can't see the effect at all from many angles. I don't know if it is something wrong with VS' normal shader implementation or if the lighting in the scene is just so retardedly designed that there is overpowering fill light coming from almost every direction.

But in blender's glsl game rendering (in a scene with not too many lights) the normal map is strikingly pronounced (although the crater topo is not looking the way I intended) so something about the VS shader rendering or the way solar systems are lit is doing something very counterproductive even on my end.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The betas use encoded normal maps.

DXT5nm in beta2, a custom swizzle format in beta1.

With nvcompress, you do:

Code: Select all

nvcompress -bc3n some.png some.texture
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hmm, i find only a 64bit version of these texture tools (which wont work on my 32 bit win7...).
Is there any 32 bit version available ?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I don't know for win... in linux they work out-of-the-box 8)
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Finally found the 32 bit texture tools, and they seem to work. However, I cant see a bigger effect with the encoded normal texture. I increased the specular light in the systems file and probably, as stated earlier, there is a very tiny effect. Perhaps this is all one can see with these lighting conditions. Perhaps it might be a problem of mesher ?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sadly, somehow I cannot see the video.

Can you post a screenshot?

In any case, the shaders in VS 0.5.1 have area lights, if you're close to the star, shadows would be very sharp and normal maps washed out due to this effect. Further from the star, it should look as usual. Maybe it's that, but I'd need a screenshot to be able to tell.
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Here you are:
And, btw, the asteroid field is not close to the sun...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I don't see neither the slightest hint of normal mapping nor the effect I was talking about.

How does the normalmap look like? (post unencoded bluish version)
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Here you are:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

• Maybe it's too low-res. Normal maps should be higher or equal res than the diffuse map.
  • Otherwise, it seems fine. I'd say your shaders don't work.
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Probably the shaders.
There are some errors in the stderr, but they are there since ancient times, besides I dont understand the whole shaders thing.
Here is the stderr:
GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\bin/..
Using D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051 as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051/.vegatrek As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051/.vegatrek/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051/vegastrike.config
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
Attempt to call ReadFull on a bad file units.csv -1 D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051/units/units.csv
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\builtin",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\quests",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\missions",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\ai",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\bases"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
Initializing renderer...
GDI Generic software driver reported, trying to reset.
Vertex shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.

Fragment shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.

Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked.

Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:177: 'GLOSS_init' : no matching overloaded function found
ERROR: compilation errors. No code generated.

Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile default
Creating planet Sol with texture stars/sun.png and technique - unitlevel <= 2

WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [2] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader
WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [2] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader

WARNING: 0:4: extension 'GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' is not supported
WARNING: 0:4: extension 'GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' is not supportedWARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [1] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader
WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [1] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader

Creating planet Mercury with texture sol2/mercury.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Venus with texture sol2/venus.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Earth with texture planets/earth/earth_diffuse.texture|planets/earth/earth_specular.texture|planets/earth/earth_clouds.texture|planets/earth/earth_night.texture|planets/earth/earth_normal.texture and technique earth - unitlevel > 2

WARNING: 0:4: extension 'GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' is not supportedWARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [0] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader
WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [0] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader

ERROR: 0:2: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:4: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:5: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:6: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:7: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:8: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:9: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:16: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default
Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile planet/ground_ps3.0
Compilation of technique earth failed... trying 5_ps3.0/earth
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"planet/ground_vs1.1" fp:"planet/ground_ps3.0"
Compilation of technique 5_ps3.0/earth failed... trying 4_ps2.0/earth
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"planet/ground_vs1.1" fp:"planet/ground_ps3.0"

Creating planet Earth: Luna with texture sol2/moon.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2

WARNING: 0:4: extension 'GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' is not supportedERROR: 0:243: 'GLOSS_init' : no matching overloaded function found

Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile highend
Compilation of technique 5_ps3.0/default failed... trying ../4_ps2.0/default
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"highend" fp:"highend"
Compilation of technique ../4_ps2.0/default failed... trying fixed
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"default" fp:"default"
Creating planet Mars with texture sol2/mars.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Mars: Deimos with texture sol2/deimos.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Mars: Phobos with texture sol2/phobos.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Belt: 1 Ceres with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Belt: 2 Pallas with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Belt: 4 Vesta with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Belt: 10 Hygiea with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter with texture sol2/jupiter.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter: Io with texture sol2/io.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter: Europa with texture sol2/europa.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter: Ganymede with texture sol2/ganymede.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter: Callisto with texture sol2/callisto.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn with texture sol2/saturn.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Mimas with texture sol2/mimas.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Enceladus with texture sol2/enceladus.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Tethys with texture sol2/tethys.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Dione with texture sol2/dione.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Rhea with texture sol2/rhea.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Titan with texture sol2/titan.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Hyperion with texture sol2/hyperion.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Iapetus with texture sol2/iapetus.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Phoebe with texture sol2/phoebe.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus with texture sol2/uranus.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus:_Miranda with texture sol2/miranda-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus: Ariel with texture sol2/ariel-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus: Umbriel with texture sol2/umbriel-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus: Titania with texture sol2/titania-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus: Oberon with texture sol2/oberon-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Neptune with texture sol2/neptune.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Neptune: Proteus with texture sol2/proteus-ou.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Neptune: Triton with texture sol2/triton-ou.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Neptune: Nereid with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Pluto with texture sol2/pluto.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Pluto: Charon with texture sol2/charon.png and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet KBO: Quaoar with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet KBO: Ixion with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet KBO: Varuna with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 45
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Beta/Sol
Next To: Beta/Wolf_359
Next To: Beta/Epsilon_Indi
Next To: Beta/Axanar
Next To: Beta/Proxima_Centauri
Next To: Beta/Alpha_Centauri
Next To: Alpha/Beta_Comae_Berenices
Next To: Alpha/Beta_Canum_Venaticorum
Next To: Beta/Babel
Next To: Alpha/Tau_Ceti
FOUND MODIFICATION = player FOR PLAYER #0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 6, in <module>
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 55, in dispatchMessage
self.objects[id][1].onMessage(message,params)
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 949, in onMessage
self.onMouseEnter(params)
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 809, in onMouseEnter
if self.isEnabled() and self.hasState('hot'):
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 907, in hasState
return (state in self.sprites)
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 55, in dispatchMessage
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 947, in onMessage
self.onMouseDown(params)
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 805, in onMouseDown
if self.isEnabled() and self.hasState('down'):
Shutting down renderer...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

There's your culprit.

It's using the fixed pipeline because all shaders fail to compile.
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

And what does this mean ? What is the fixed pipeline ? And how to fix it ?
Edit: i found this error also in the vegastrike 0.5.1 beta 1 stderr.....
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It means either your drivers are bad, or the shaders are bad.
And the fixed pipeline is the "fixed function" part of GPUs, it's the non-programmable one, what draws the most basic geometry without the fancier effects. Like normal mapping.

Either the shaders in VT are old and buggy (we had tons of fixed between the two betas), or your GPU drivers dislike them for whatever reason. In the first case, upgrading your techinques and programs directories should help, but you'll also need a new binary from SVN. In the second case, perhaps a driver update would help.
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

It means either your drivers are bad, or the shaders are bad.
Hmm, the drivers are the newest available (re-checked it).
So i downloaded the new beta 2 and tested it. Worked generally. The stderr was the following:
GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2\bin/..
Using D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2 as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2/.vegastrike As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2/vegastrike.config
Attempt to call ReadFull on a bad file units.csv -1 D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2/units/units.csv
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2\modules\builtin",r"D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2\modules\quests",r"D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2\modules\missions",r"D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2\modules\ai",r"D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2\modules",r"D:\Vega Strike\vegastrike-data-0.5.1.beta2\bases"] + sys.path
print sys.path
Initializing renderer...

WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [7] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader
WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [7] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader

Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 38
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Special/Empty

WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [1] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader

CreateVideoTexture could not find preintro.ogv
CreateVideoTexture could not find intro.ogv
Creating planet JumpTo17-ar with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel <= 2
Creating planet Cephid_17 A with texture stars/white_star.texture and technique - unitlevel <= 2
Creating planet Atlantis with texture planets/ocean.texture|planets/ocean_specular.texture|planets/earth/earth_clouds.texture and technique earth - unitlevel > 2

WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [0] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader

WARNING: 0:108: Compiler warning: gl_TexCoord is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use user defined varying variables

WARNING: 0:111: Compiler warning: varying is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use in

WARNING: 0:112: Compiler warning: varying is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use in

WARNING: 0:113: Compiler warning: texture2D is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use texture

WARNING: 0:119: Compiler warning: texture2D is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use texture

WARNING: 0:121: Compiler warning: texture2D is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use texture

WARNING: 0:138: Compiler warning: texture2D is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use texture

WARNING: 0:141: Compiler warning: texture2D is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use texture

WARNING: 0:149: Compiler warning: texture2D is deprecated since GLSL1.3, we suggest to use texture

WARNING: 0:150: Compiler warning: texture2D is dep
Fragment shader(s) failed to link, vertex shader(s) failed to link.
ERROR: Symbol varTSLight is defined with 2 different types in vertex and fragment shaders.
ERROR: Symbol varTSView is defined with 2 different types in vertex and fragment shaders.
ERROR: Symbol varTSLight is defined with 2 different types in vertex and fragment shaders.
ERROR: Symbol varTSView is defined with 2 different types in vertex and fragment shaders.

Shader Program Error: Failed to link planet/ground_vs1.1 to planet/ground_ps3.0

Creating planet Phillies with texture planets/rock.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToEnyo with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToCardell with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToOldziey with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToEverett with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToStirling with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Cephid_17 B with texture stars/red_star.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Wiley with texture planets/molten.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2

Creating planet Broadway with texture sol/ganymede.texture|planets/rock.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 38
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Crucible/Cephid_17
Next To: Crucible/17-ar
Next To: Crucible/Stirling
Next To: Crucible/Cardell
Next To: Crucible/Enyo
Next To: Crucible/Everett
Next To: Crucible/Oldziey
If I understand this right:
Shader Program Error: Failed to link planet/ground_vs1.1 to planet/ground_ps3.0
then it is not falling back to the fixed pipeline but only to another shader.
So I transferred the new bin folder and the techniques folder from the beta 2 to vegatrek.
Good news, it ran. Bad news, the stderr looks like with the old versions:
GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\bin/..
Using D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051 as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051/.vegatrek As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051/.vegatrek/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051/vegastrike.config
Attempt to call ReadFull on a bad file units.csv -1 D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051/units/units.csv
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\builtin",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\quests",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\missions",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\ai",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules",r"D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\bases"] + sys.path
print sys.path
Initializing renderer...

ERROR: 0:177: 'GLOSS_init' : no matching overloaded function found

Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile default
Creating planet Sol with texture stars/sun.png and technique - unitlevel <= 2

WARNING: 0:4: extension 'GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' is not supportedWARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [1] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader

Creating planet Mercury with texture sol2/mercury.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Venus with texture sol2/venus.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Earth with texture planets/earth/earth_diffuse.texture|planets/earth/earth_specular.texture|planets/earth/earth_clouds.texture|planets/earth/earth_night.texture|planets/earth/earth_normal.texture and technique earth - unitlevel > 2

WARNING: 0:4: extension 'GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' is not supportedWARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [0] defined in Vertex shader and not used in Fragment shader

ERROR: 0:2: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:4: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:5: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:6: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:7: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:8: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:9: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default precision must have been previously declared.
ERROR: 0:16: '' : Declaration must include a precision qualifier or the default
Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile planet/ground_ps3.0

Creating planet Earth: Luna with texture sol2/moon.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2

WARNING: 0:4: extension 'GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' is not supportedERROR: 0:243: 'GLOSS_init' : no matching overloaded function found

Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile highend
Compilation of technique 5_ps3.0/default failed... trying ../4_ps2.0/default
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"highend" fp:"highend"
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"default" fp:"default"
Creating planet Mars with texture sol2/mars.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Mars: Deimos with texture sol2/deimos.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Mars: Phobos with texture sol2/phobos.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Belt: 1 Ceres with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Belt: 2 Pallas with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Belt: 4 Vesta with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Belt: 10 Hygiea with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter with texture sol2/jupiter.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter: Io with texture sol2/io.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter: Europa with texture sol2/europa.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter: Ganymede with texture sol2/ganymede.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Jupiter: Callisto with texture sol2/callisto.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn with texture sol2/saturn.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Mimas with texture sol2/mimas.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Enceladus with texture sol2/enceladus.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Tethys with texture sol2/tethys.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Dione with texture sol2/dione.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Rhea with texture sol2/rhea.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Titan with texture sol2/titan.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Hyperion with texture sol2/hyperion.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Iapetus with texture sol2/iapetus.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Saturn: Phoebe with texture sol2/phoebe.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus with texture sol2/uranus.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus:_Miranda with texture sol2/miranda-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus: Ariel with texture sol2/ariel-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus: Umbriel with texture sol2/umbriel-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus: Titania with texture sol2/titania-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Uranus: Oberon with texture sol2/oberon-cel.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Neptune with texture sol2/neptune.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Neptune: Proteus with texture sol2/proteus-ou.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Neptune: Triton with texture sol2/triton-ou.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Neptune: Nereid with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Pluto with texture sol2/pluto.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Pluto: Charon with texture sol2/charon.png and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet KBO: Quaoar with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet KBO: Ixion with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet KBO: Varuna with texture sol2/asteroid.jpg and technique - unitlevel > 2
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 45
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Beta/Sol
Next To: Beta/Wolf_359
Next To: Beta/Epsilon_Indi
Next To: Beta/Axanar
Next To: Beta/Proxima_Centauri
Next To: Beta/Alpha_Centauri
Next To: Alpha/Beta_Comae_Berenices
Next To: Alpha/Beta_Canum_Venaticorum
Next To: Beta/Babel
Next To: Alpha/Tau_Ceti
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 949, in onMessage
self.onMouseEnter(params)
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 809, in onMouseEnter
if self.isEnabled() and self.hasState('hot'):
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 947, in onMessage
self.onMouseDown(params)
File "D:\vegatrek2\Neuer Ordner\vtvs051\modules\GUI.py", line 805, in onMouseDown
if self.isEnabled() and self.hasState('down'):
Not exactly sure whether the asteroids transferred to the beta2 look different cause they fly too fast....
Any ideas ?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

There's a data/programs folder which contains the shaders themselves (techniques contains its definitions only). You should copy it too.
Wing Commander Universe
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Theres a data/programs folder which contains the shaders themselves (techniques contains its definitions only). You should copy it too.
Thanks, very nice to know.
And hooray, after copying these files I now finally have the same error messages as with beta2.
And, after converting all textures to dds files with nvcompress, the asteroids finally look like this- i guess thats how they should look like...
So thanks for the help !
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

After five years of procrastination, do we still want to integrate these into VS or are they past their expiration date?
If we do, what scale (in meters) should they have and what thresholds should be set on their LoDs (of 960, 240 and 80 triangles)?

And did you say you had made an asteroid of your own, Klauss? If you can surface it, we should review it for integration as well.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:And did you say you had made an asteroid of your own, Klauss? If you can surface it, we should review it for integration as well.
It was in my plan for 0.5.2, though I'm not sure I'm on schedule. In any case, I wanted to have asteroid and rocky planet shaders done by either 0.5.2 or 0.5.3, which includes new meshes for asteroids.

They're rather simple. Sphere, noise, subsurf, noise, subsurf, noise, and some creative texturing, bake with xNormal, and voie-la.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote: It was in my plan for 0.5.2, though I'm not sure I'm on schedule. In any case, I wanted to have asteroid and rocky planet shaders done by either 0.5.2 or 0.5.3, which includes new meshes for asteroids.
So then are the asteroids I did years back redundant with your efforts, should I abandon work on them?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:
klauss wrote: It was in my plan for 0.5.2, though I'm not sure I'm on schedule. In any case, I wanted to have asteroid and rocky planet shaders done by either 0.5.2 or 0.5.3, which includes new meshes for asteroids.
So then are the asteroids I did years back redundant with your efforts, should I abandon work on them?
Depends. The meshes I made I made with little effort and had quite some imperfections, they were POC. If you have a detailled height map for those, then they can be used with the shaders I had written for mine instead, which I imagine will look a helluva lot better.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

I had some trouble baking height maps that matched the normal maps in blender. Are height maps essential?