Star Trek Mod

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Yes... it does seem a bit of a daunting task. Certainly, not nearly all Star Trek star systems will be represented. I've done up a rough list of what I'm planning on putting in right now.

http://www.joeredcloud.com/kandarwiki/i ... eksystemsw

9 systems or so per sector... about 5 sectors. This won't be as hard as it looks, with the help of the ability to autogenerate star systems to certain specs in Vega Strike. I'll make all the systems, make them look nice and pretty, and then drop in the 'direction to' warpboxes that get spit out of my soon-to-be-completed program (or i'll just do it by hand). Not TOO bad...

But I'm actually going to keep it pretty simple to start out with. Some Fed worlds, some Klingon worlds, and some Romulan worlds. Nice and simple.

Dominion ships would be great, because hopefully eventually we will be able to make missions for some of the battles of the Dominion War. But I would suggest leaving them on the back burner for now.
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

on the ship list page, why does my name have a question mark after it?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

'cause we really aren't all that sure about you.

Just kidding. It's a quirk of the wiki, i think. I think it sees two capitalized words smashed together, and assumes its a wiki link. I'm not leet enough with the wiki to figure out how to make that not be the case.

You could always stick a space between Flying and Ace if it really bothers you.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

PeteyG wrote:You could always stick a space between Flying and Ace if it really bothers you.
Or you can put a ! befor your name.

Pontiac
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

It is done.
Bazza
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Bazza »

Ah, Wolf 359. That is one mission we must have in the Star Trek mod; The battle of Wolf 359. Although taking control of a federation ship would kinda suck, as your supposed to lose :cry:
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

That's the plan.

Also... maybe there can be an 'alternate' Wolf 359 mission... where your fleet of Dominion War era starfleet ships falls through a time rift or something, and you get to help out in the battle.

Some brand new Akiras ought to make a bit of a difference in the battle, I think.
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

a souped-up Akira with instead of 15 photon torp launchers, having 15 quantom torp launchers would be a nice addition.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Star Trek Star Charts just arrived in the mail, and I've been poring over it. Though I do not completely agree with it on a number of assertations it makes, it is pretty comprehensive. Plenty of cool info that I hope to work into the Trek mod.

Not that it's anywhere near official... but I'd say it's on the same level as any of the Franz Joseph stuff was, back in the day.
Dark Shadow
Trader
Trader

Post by Dark Shadow »

has anybody heard something about a mac or linux version of this great mod called vega trek :?:
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I found some great low poly and textured models, if it can help
http://www.thegamingunion.com/users/terra_nova/
I see dead polygons....
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Dark Shadow wrote:has anybody heard something about a mac or linux version of this great mod called vega trek :?:
It is coming... All that's left for me to do is give the ships all comparable stats. And fix a few tiny little things.

And it will be nothing more than a dataset to be added to Vega Strike (though I believe it will be released in a Win32 only standalone version). So anyone should be able to experience it!
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Just as an update, things have really picked up after a rather lengthy lull of me working on this thing. There's a buttload of new features that Hellcatv has put in specifically to make the Trek mod cooler, but won't necesarilly be in regular Vega Strike

-Only autotracking beams that can hit the target will fire (very important!)
-Star streaky crawl at warp speeds
-Stretching of the model at warp speed!!
-That little flash of light when a starship enters and exits warp (it's the little things that make the difference)
-Awesome light flickering and particle effects with battle damage!

Thanks to Pontiac, we've got REAL PHOTON TORPEDOS!!! : D

Thanks to Pontiac and Hellcatv, and Many Thanks to Flying Ace, we've got a buttload of awesome ships! Here's a short list of the cooler ships we'll have:

-Galaxy Class (you know you love it)
-Romulan Warbird (D'deridex)
-Nebula class (two different pod configurations!)
-Klingon Vor'Cha (disturbingly accurate model)
-Klingon Bird of Prey
-Klingon D7/K'tinga
-Akira class (a fan favorite!)
-Peregrine class fighter (like what the Maquis used!)
-Freedom class (single nacelle class light starship)
-The Borg!!! *shudder*
-Defiant Class (perhaps today IS a good day to die!)

I've been doing some spreadsheet magic to balance out the weapons and shields and power stuff, and things are starting to fall into place. You can warp around solar systems (you go FAST but not TOO FAST). Non-warp combat is fairly slow... I'm shooting for more of a 'bring your best firing arcs to bear' battle than a 'wing commander with trek models' game. You'll be able to travel between different Star Trek systems without using blue jump balls! (okay, okay... you'll be using highlighted cubes at the edge of the system that cause you to jump on contact.)

All in all, it's starting to get really cool.
Last edited by peteyg on Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

PeteyG wrote:<Many many cool things>
8)
Thanks to Pontiac, we've got REAL PHOTON TORPEDOS!!! : D
I can't remember if I sent the model to you. It's been a while since i worked on it last. ;-)
So did you take the one hellcatv used for testing, or don't you have it at all?

Pontiac
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Yah, he sent me your coolest version. All i had to do was scale the units, and change the colors (i've got green for Romulans and Klingons, red for Federation, and white for Quantum torpedos!).

It works perfect. Thanks!
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

PeteyG wrote:Yah, he sent me your coolest version. All i had to do was scale the units, and change the colors (i've got green for Romulans and Klingons, red for Federation, and white for Quantum torpedos!).

It works perfect. Thanks!
I'm glad it's useable ;-) Though, it wasn't supposed to be finished yet.

I think I have a version of a photon-torp with 2 different-scaled "spikes" somewhere in my model-depot. Don't know if this is the version you have?
If you want it just post here.

Pontiac

PS: posted a cool feature-request for photon-torps here 8)
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Heck yeah! I'd jump on any opportunity to make the photon torpoedo look better!
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

PeteyG wrote:Heck yeah! I'd jump on any opportunity to make the photon torpoedo look better!
What modifications did you make on the torpedo (except for the color)?
So i can include them into my wings-config files.

Pontiac
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Perhaps we can have a bridge-commander-like destination selector for vega trek if some one wants to do the programing.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

hurleybird wrote:Perhaps we can have a bridge-commander-like destination selector for vega trek if some one wants to do the programing.
That would be the best, yes.

Another couple of features that I want (though they're somewhat nontrivial) are...

Complex sensors. A ship would have ratings for different kinds of sensors, as well as the difficulty for their hulls to be penetrated by the sensors. A successful sensor scan would reveal text information about the ship (this info could be modified by missions, or whatever you want to put in the ship's unit file)

Support for crewmembers. Ability to recruit crewmembers on stations, and have their different skills affect the operation of your ship. Nothing fancy needed, they could be hired/fired through the standard interface and everything.

Transporters. Or something.

Ability to have complex power management. More power to shields! Engage auxiliary power!

Red alert / yellow alert / green alert. For the shields and weapons.

Figure out a way to make missions so that not all Trek mod missions are plain battles. I want to be able to script cool stuff that happens in episodes. Like transporting cargo from one place to another with a deadline, and getting complex and dynamic messages during the mission.

In-game cutscenes. : )

I haven't really mentioned any of these to Daniel, 'cause they're all definaetly major things. Perhaps the initial release of the mod (hopefully alongside 0.4.0) will attract some extra skilled laborers to our cause.

EDIT: @pontiac: I'll let you know about the torps when I get home tonight!
pontiac
Elite
Elite

new photon torp

Post by pontiac »

PeteyG wrote:EDIT: @pontiac: I'll let you know about the torps when I get home tonight!
That would be great.

Anyway, I spent a few hours and tweaked the torpedo a bit.
What do you think..., any suggestions?
http://members.chello.at/stefbuer/vegas ... creen1.jpg

The animation has been completly removed (just the rotation part is still there).
The base-glow is now a sun-like (and still static) 'sparkle'
And there are now 8 rotation spikes.

Pontiac

EDIT: Little update... the default version of the photon torpedo is equipped with its own AI:
photon torpedo (2.33): Cease your fire or i will be forced to defend myself.
EDIT2: Maybe this version of the torpedo is not quite like the original galaxy torp, but doese anybody care about this? :?
Here for comparison the new vs the old one:
http://members.chello.at/stefbuer/vegas ... creen2.jpg

EDIT3:
And just for fun:
http://members.chello.at/stefbuer/vegas ... creen3.jpg
http://members.chello.at/stefbuer/vegas ... creen4.jpg

EDIT4: This time with a modified base-texture (IMHO the best of 'em):
http://members.chello.at/stefbuer/vegas ... creen5.jpg
Last edited by pontiac on Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

nice 8)
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I think I"m liking this new torpedo!

Does it have very many polys in it?
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

PeteyG wrote:I think I"m liking this new torpedo!

Does it have very many polys in it?
It has less (spikes also counted) than the old one ;-)
And no animation is needed.

Though, I would suggest to just used them both 8)

Pontiac

PS: Both torpedos now have a collision and one LOD-mesh.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

I just packed up the whole thing (torp old and new) so you can check them out:
http://members.chello.at/stefbuer/vegas ... 2torps.zip

Extract it directly into the data directory and add the two entries
from weapon_list_photon.xml to the weapon_list.xml.

I also removed some frames from the animation of the old torp, so
there are fewer files in the animations directory.

If there is anything to change (stats/geometry/size) please send or tell me what to change.

}{4\/3 ph|_||\| ;-)

Pontiac