unwitnessed kilrathi capships:

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
starlord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by starlord »

Your arguments are quite pertinent: I think you are closer to the truth than I am.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Of course... :D Just kidding; thanks; this is all opinions, really, but yeah, I'm positive capships never see planet surfaces in WC.

So, Starlord; how's the campaign coming along? Are you in?, or are you out?
I mean, if you're making progress, I'll wait for you; but otherwise let me know and I'll take over.
By the way, I just got myself a copy of Action Stations, an hour ago. There's supposedly a "sky hook" (space elevator) that falls, and in its descent hits a carrier, just a glancing hit, but enough to destroy it. I think that when Chen first arrives at McAuliffe there could be a few missions that involve transporting stuff between the skyhook station and Alexandria. Kangaroo offered to model the sky hook.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Ehm... Scratch that. Well, I just bought the book Action Stations, a few hours ago, in fact. And of course I fast-forwarded to the skyhook. It's actually a tower going from the ground up to Alexandria. So the "skyhook" and Alexandria are like parts of the same thing. Weird concept but hey, much less weird than artificial gravity; and even Clark had a tower built of pure diamond going up to GEO, in ... "2060" was the name of 2010's sequel? And maybe "isometal" is harder than diamond?
Anyways, I'll be reading the novel and taking notes; maybe make a highly detailed timeline...
I copied paragraphs relevant to the skyhook here:
http://www.wcplanet.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=88
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

chuck_starchaser wrote: Finally, it can be demonstrated by a thought experiment that anigravity makes no sense as a static field. If you could neutralize gravity in one spot, then you could put a heavy wheel such that one side of it is inside the no gravity zone, and the other half outside, and it would turn and possibly produce electricity, which contradicts theromodynamics and symmetries, unless its doing so consumes equal or greater power from the antigravity generator..
yay! perpetual motion! (i have one of those in my backyard... all i need is the government's super secret spys to stop harrasing me and private investors to start giving me millions of dollars just to look at it)
chuck_starchaser wrote: ...unless its doing so consumes equal or greater power from the antigravity generator..

which would be the point... gravity is a weak force but one that affects all dimensions (atleast according to current quantum theory) whereas ElectroMagentics only affect 4. it would take huge amounts of energy to do such things... (not saying its not possible, if someone found a way to tap zero point energy or or some other such improbable scenario without destroying oneself then it might be likely... )

chuck_starchaser wrote: which implies, if your theory were true, that it should have been able to soft-land by neutralizing gravity.
this is something that always bothered me about that scene in WC3... namely, that you can see the ship! the thing HAD to do some sort of soft landing...parachutes, anti grav... SOMETHING... either that or its shields were REALLY strong.... one can infer from the cutscene that vespus has a sufficent gravity well to trap enough atmosphere to support unaided breathing... and a ship coming down that steep of a well, no matter which angle or how much atmospheric drag slowed them down or any other factor, should have gone splat. they should be doing chemical analysis of a really large crater to infer the whereabouts of the concordia...

now... i realize the scene is there merely for storytelling... and as such should probably not be deconstructed to make logical sense... but still...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

You seem to have a good grasp of physics.

Yeah, I'm not completely sure how a carrier might fair on its way down through the atmo. If you consider a metal meteorite, a 1 meter diameter meteorite might make it to the ground, even though its surface is gradually evaporating on the way down. And a carrier would have similarly thick armor and hull, and a much lower specific weight overall. But whet I'm really sure is that it would splat wafer-thin upon hitting the water. Anyhow, Origin's people probably didn't even know the difference between mass and weight, or understand the concept of inertial orbiting. When you think of it, Star Trek probably has better science than WC.
starlord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by starlord »

Back to the campaign: I'm currently in the middle of exams and I won't have much time for it right now, Yet the last thing I managed to do was to give a few proposed names to the "new"kilrathi ships in the game. I'll give you the names shortly and you'll be able to tell me what you think.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Not sure I'd be the best to judge kitty names; I don't speak Kilrathi; --or Klingon, for that matter :D
Anyhow, as I said, I got Action Stations, now, and I'll be reading it and taking notes. The whole book is about the the battle of McAuliffe, I notice, and so it should be mandatory reading for working on the story at the start of WC0.
starlord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by starlord »

Hi, guys, it's been a while!

Unfortunately, I'm gonna go on vacation soon, far from any pesky internet problems :roll:

So, here's the deal, I think that regarding WC0, I can't add much more to the campaign, so I think that starchaser will have much more to add than me.

So That's that! I'll try to post once in a while.

The best of luck to you guys.

Mikael.

P.S: One day, should you need a WC 2.5 campaign, I have a few things I can give you too, should you like it.

Salutations, flyboys.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

starlord wrote:Hi, guys, it's been a while!

Unfortunately, I'm gonna go on vacation soon, far from any pesky internet problems :roll:

So, here's the deal, I think that regarding WC0, I can't add much more to the campaign, so I think that starchaser will have much more to add than me.

So That's that! I'll try to post once in a while.

The best of luck to you guys.

Mikael.

P.S: One day, should you need a WC 2.5 campaign, I have a few things I can give you too, should you like it.

Salutations, flyboys.
LOL