ripped wc1/2/priv data

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

ripped wc1/2/priv data

Post by Darkmage »

i've been able to rip a crapload of wc 1/2/privateer data including movie files, and cockpits.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

nice keep up the good work

if you notice there's a dude in the art&modding forum who really wants to help with the WC ships I think

let him know about it
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Angel29103
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Angel29103 »

Is there any Possibility for me to get that stuff from u?
I'm currently tryin to make repaints of the original privateer bases and stuff, to get textures and the models from the old game up to date for
vegastrike.But I badly need the original pics. My Problem is, that privateer is crashing every 2nd systemjump... and so I can't make screenshots myself.
I'm trying to make a direct privateerclone (inclusing the missions), which i will share with the actual Vegastrike-Privateerproject-Team, if all works properly..... :roll:
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

if Angel can get something done with them that would be great If not I'd love them as they are. Gotta finish the rest of those cockpits after all.. Bases would be nice too, and comms anims heh.

Angel: do you have any contact info? It would be nice to avoid having two people do the same work. I've been slowly working towards something like a privateer 1 clone myself. I have bartender conversations done, I did all the gemini systems, and have the weapons in right now with their correct sounds (textures are next). Also will work on more cockpits. Higher res textures would be nice, but I'll make them one way or another. If you can do missions or cargo or anything else, it might be nice to pool our efforts.
Angel29103
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Angel29103 »

seems you are far ahead of me. I still messing around with the basics. I just have impleted the privateer music, and still waiting for the ripped files...As i said before, i'm trying to screenshot the whole games, but after every systemjump the games crashes.So this will take much time.
But here's the link to the privateer music, if you need it:
http://www.wcnews.com/music/#priv

Look for the midi files, since the mp3s didn't work in vegastrike
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

well I can screenshot priv pretty easily. I have screenshots of ecery system map. If there are any others I could supply you with let me know. At any rate, gimme a write at killmorejedi at hotmail dot com (or an IM)

Post by Guest »

i'm making 3d models of the base-insides actually.

i have a buncha partially done stuff.

ca't post pics, i dont have hte internet anymore.

moved to a rural house. phone line is too bad for dial up, and no broadband around. so it sucks balls. but i should have some good stuff to show off when i finally get back.

-scheherazade
Bob McDob
Trader
Trader

Post by Bob McDob »

You do realize the Priv stats were ripped long ago? <G> Look at http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~hedgehog/

Oh, and Mamiru, would you mind re-sending the Orion you had? We restarted the Priv mod for FL and I lost all my files days before :( Send it to CaptainObvious@mail2breakfast.com
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Try here first. It has all the ships we have complied so far,

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=46125
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Bob McDob wrote:You do realize the Priv stats were ripped long ago? <G> Look at http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~hedgehog/

Oh, and Mamiya, would you mind re-sending the Orion you had? We restarted the Priv mod for FL and I lost all my files days before :( Send it to CaptainObvious@mail2breakfast.com
Frankly I'm not too keen on giving it out again, as I wasn't happy with what happened last time. I heard some improvements and optimizations were made, and I asked if I could get a copy of the slimmed down model and was basically told to take a hike. That wasn't cool. Pretty sure it was someone other than you though.

Cool that you're getting going again, might be time to fire up freelancer again.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

mamiya0taru < i think the only way you can make people happy is with LOD's.

we all want pimp models, and we all want them to be playable.

but all in all, your stuff is the best out there (that is playable). so whoever complains can just try to do better. otherwise they are just whiners.

anyways, your priv universe chunk is a+.

-scheherazade
Bob McDob
Trader
Trader

Post by Bob McDob »

Hey Mamiya, sorry I didn't this earlier. Check your PMs.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Where's WCUniverse at right now?

Just curious. I am really looking forward to playing this one.
Bob McDob
Trader
Trader

Post by Bob McDob »

To the best of my knowledge, it currently exists as a load of files on Darkmage's PC, as he never found a server with enough space to host the 70 meg file.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

when i get the internet again (not at home when i post...) i'll set up a server in the basement that people can use. i'll make it an FTP with open access. but of course it'll have a bandwidth limit. i hope i'll get 768 up and down. so prolly half or 1/3 of that i'd allow the server to take up (since i use my computer for other things too...)

-scheherazade
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I have all the files too, but I think, and you need to confim this with Darkmage and MamiyaOtaru, but we were waiting for the xmesh to obj to come out so we could standardize all the file formats. The last update was October 25, 2003 http://sourceforge.net/projects/wcuniverse/, and basically included getting rid of redundant ships that were floating around. I don’t know if Darkmage or MamiyaOtaru have added anything in the mean time. Also now that I look like VS will support csv files, all that work I did way back when finally pays off.

scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

those are old files no?

if i put up a server tho, i'll make it just for people working on WCU. so you can store files and what not. like an ftp.

i'm sure sourceforge is much better of a DL spot for a public DL.

also, check out this thread on the CIC.
if we can have scoops, we can have much different scales.
and it looks like LOAF is all about the idea.
we might even be able to do realistic (or at least not super tiny) scales and retain good gameplay speeds.

check it out:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=9155

-scheherazade
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Scoops are pretty dumb, in my opinion. But they are mentioned like twice in some of the books, so I guess that means everyone uses them in all other incarnations of the wc universe.

Seriously, scoops are pretty damn weak as far as actually being part of the WC Universe (only thing weaker is Privateer II being in the WCU due to a ship model and a single mention of Kilrathi in some in-game text that you'll never read), but they'd fit perfectly with the insys warp mode currently in CVS.

I think that's the way to go.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

scheherazade wrote:those are old files no?
No. the files also include what was up to date with WCSaga back in October
scheherazade wrote:if i put up a server tho, i'll make it just for people working on WCU. so you can store files and what not. like an ftp.
i'm sure sourceforge is much better of a DL spot for a public DL.
I would argue that you should have both. One for "model" developers, and the SF site for the masses. This would cut down on traffic to your system and at the same time allow for a work around for the limitations of CVS. On that note SVC i.e. SubVersion may finally appear on SF, but given their record it might take a year + to implement. When this happens then SF becomes much more viable as a modelers dev tool.
scheherazade wrote:also, check out this thread on the CIC.
if we can have scoops, we can have much different scales.
and it looks like LOAF is all about the idea.
we might even be able to do realistic (or at least not super tiny) scales and retain good gameplay speeds.

check it out:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=9155
What am I suppose to be looking at? Flawed WC Physics?

Post by Guest »

Scoops are pretty dumb, in my opinion. But they are mentioned like twice in some of the books, so I guess that means everyone uses them in all other incarnations of the wc universe.
Actually, scoops appear throughout the Wing Commander novels and other supporting material (a quick search of the Fleet Action e-book shows 21 references). That *isn't* where they come from, though - the concept appears in the first series bible, created by Ellen Guon when she took over the series' story aspects. They're so prevalent in the novels because this bible was all Bill Forstchen were given to work with for their books.

If you're interested in the original article outlining jump and sublight concepts in Wing Commander, it's available as part of the Terran Confederation Handbook (one of the movie-related Wing publications). The article was slightly revamped and fictionalized for public release, but it's essentially the same document that Wing Commander writers have based their propulsion concepts off of since 1991.

As for scoops themselves - they're a real idea -- one that's often used in science fiction -- WC just stole it.
(only thing weaker is Privateer II being in the WCU due to a ship model and a single mention of Kilrathi in some in-game text that you'll never read)
Privateer 2 is generally considered part of the Wing Commander universe for several reasons: it was published as the sequel to Privateer (hence the 2), Origin's official FAQ says so, there are numerous references to the Confederation and WC-similar dates throughout the 'database' (required reading for completing the game)... and, as you mentioned, the Talon from the original Privateer shows up in a mission.

(The Kilrathi reference is questionable - it's a background line in the script, but it's too blurry to make out without knowing what it is in the English version.)

- LOAF
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

well in any case, for a wc universe, a speed compromise of some sort is needed if "micro-machine" universe scales are to be avoided.

scoops is out there... so i think we should use/abuse them.
we can come up with a good setup that meets our needs and keeps the cheese down to a low level.

-scheherazade
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

You're right, LOAF. I was just engaging in some hyperbole to help express my general disdain for both points.

If you're all set on using plausible physics in WCU, though, I don't think scoops are for you. Scoops could never exert such a great force in the direction opposite a ship's thrust.

But I would advise against insisting on plausible physics for sublight travel. Just use the insys warp currently in CVS and call it 'scoops on/scoops off', and be done with it.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

yah i was thinking that the superspeed business that just made it in is about what scoops-in could be....

or rather...

we could just call it a transit mode...

seeing as the WC universe DOES have superspeeds (albeit hasn't made it beyond the books) like 10'000 kps. we could just freely use the in-system superspeed warp thingy and call it what it is... uncapped speed.

so things are fine.

although, i would like scoops as a fuel-regenerating feature that slows you some bit, lets say to 85% of your would-be speed, and regenerates fuel at some slow pace.

IN ANY CASE

if the WCU people are willing to allow the superspeed thing, then we could have some slightly larger planets than toy-sized. (but i'd still not like to make them really huge).

as a side note, real-sized planets aren't that big post inspection
if you allow your ship to go 1000 kps, and use an earth sized planet, you'll be on the other side of it in moments.

-scheherazade
Bob McDob
Trader
Trader

Post by Bob McDob »

Couple things about scoops:

-Ships with scoops closed fly in a newtonian manner. Which is to say, once you close the scoops you're using the vernier jets, and expending fuel for every maneuver you perform. (It's probably also the reason the Kilrathi ship in the Wing Commander movie wasn't able to turn around fast enough to avoid falling into Charybdis.) In general, it makes sense to plot a course that doesn't intersect with anything, as changing direction takes a lot more time.

- Once fuel reserves are depleted, it takes quite a while to bring them back up again - in Action Stations, Kruger drifted in space for a week before the Lazarus (or whatever it was called before then) was able to pull in enough fuel from its surroundings. (Good thing for time compression, eh?). It's also why tankers are used to carry fuel - it saves time and effort.

- Also, accelerating to speed isn't an instantanious process - think of it as raising the maximum speed dramatically, I don't think acceleration is affected drastically. (It also reduces the drag from having kilometers-long electromagnetic fields extending in all directions).

And, this isn't directly related to the mod, but the Reckoning mod team has completed Perry Naval Base, and is currently working on Paradigm and Constantinople models. So, maybe you can make some use of them :)
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

hmm, i donno how scoops will go in actually.

i mean its not like i've really talked anything over with the WCuniverse people, and if/when i do my own WC mod, i donno how i'll implement it.

it might just be good for a regenerate fuel + go 15% slower.

ultimately long waits aren't for good gameplay, and dopey flight physics also have to be kept to a minimum. (but fast fuel regen would be gay... BUT we could have fuel for everything, rather than just burners)

i mean even look at freelancer, you fly around pretty much like you're on rails. the only time you can get a little sliding going on is if you burn in one direction, let go of thrust completely and turn. if you simply just turned you'd slide only a little bit.

i'm thinking the sliding whoo-hah should be placed between WC3 and freelancer. WC3 was pretty much on-rails. and IMO had the best combat gameplay of all the WC's. well, WC4 was tougher, but same style. freelancer is a bit more relaxed. something between there would be nice IMO.

-scheherazade