So, I sit here staring at my sol.system file.

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

So, I sit here staring at my sol.system file.

Post by Fireskull »

I am looking at my code for sol.system right now... I am redoing it due to the whole resizing stuff I did as of late.

I begin to realise I dont have enough information to really do sol sector. I know sol system has trojan shipyards and fleet tactics says there are other shipyards nearby. Still.. I dont have any info. There are important things I need to know like.

1) Where is the sector HQ, and whats its name?

2) Where are other important bases?

3) What are the most populated sectors? Sol system's new constantinoples and new detroits.

4) Does the info above exists somewhere, at all?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

All WC Bases here...
Ctrl-F "sol" yields:

Ares Space Station - Sol System [WC1]
Caernavon Space Station - Sol System [VS]
Fleet Yard 5 - Sol System [FA]
Jupiter-1 Confederate Headquarters Starbase - Sol System [WCP]
Lunar Orbital Base 5 - Sol System [AS]
Luna Space Station - Sol System [TCH]
Mimas Space Station - Sol System [TCH]
Neptune Space Station - Sol System [TCH]
Olympia Space Station - Sol System [TCH]
Orion Starbase - Sol System [WC4]
Phobos Space Station - Sol System [TCH]
Port of Titan Naval Station - Sol System [TCH]
Solar Shadow Ring Station - Chanel System [WC3]
Sol Central Space Station - Sol System [FF]
Sol Depot - Sol System [WC4]
Terran ShipYard Arcology - Sol System [SO]
Trojan IV Shipyard - Sol System [WC1]

Soon I'll have a generic Space Elevator Station you can add, like put a few of them around Earth (at GEO, 43,000 km orbit), and a couple around Mars (actually, Deimos, Mars's second moon, is almost exactly geosynchronous, so in the event of colonizing Mars we'd slow it down a bit to make it geostationary, and convert it into a space elevator station, so one of the two stations around Mars would be a converted Deimos). Take a look at the military base part of the station here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 2379#52379
and the working thread here:
http://www.coffeebot.net/vsbb/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

O_o

This will make sol.system much more than 3 times bigger than any system in gemini. The file is huge already without all these bases.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Well, klauss can shed light on this, but it is my understanding that there's a possible optimization of the code... Right now I believe the engine loads everything in a system while you go through the jump-point, but for a system as big as Sol perhaps files should be loaded on a per nearest planet or by selected destination planet, like when you press Auto. So, I'd go ahead and fill it up as it should be; and let the devs worry about performance.
(Notice I edited my previous post while you were posting.)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Let the devs worry about performance: definitely a good way to go.
About loading inflight: a bad idea. I mean... it creates countless hiccups, not to mention the difficult coding. Nah...

I had an idea to speed up loads, dealing with mipmap levels and textures. But, it turns out that there's one guy at Ogre already doing something similar: background loading of stuff.
In any case, it's a very tricky issue, and I would rather wait for things to be loaded and put a progress bar during the jump than code all that and face the resulting bugs. When background loading in Ogre is done and debugged, perhaps we can build on top of that.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe