Remodelling (bye bye ugly ships?)

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Looking good so far, Chuck.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Thanks. Update:

Next is shrinking the engines and bringing them closer to each other...
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Chuck

I know that you and Brad tend to butt heads more often then not; however I think that you should take a look at his image. This is a carbon copy of the original model that was rendered to produce the image that you are using
Unfortunately he is not allowed to distribute the original model, but he can make whatever view you require in order to create your own model.

Reference Link: Because its Halloween or something...

Also don’t be afraid to crank the poly count to around 5000 as outlined in
Design and Standardization section of the WIKI
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

mkruer: Brad is actually making his own version of the demon and that image is his WIP. (You imply that is something he can't distribute.)
BradMick wrote:Well, so...after seeing all the stuff going on about the Demon, I broke out my trusty resources and starting constructing a new one. all nice and accurate and what not, this represents about 30 minutes of work. When all is said and done it can be used as the test bed model or something. I'll unwrap it, texture it, yadda-yadda. Hopefully it'll help things along for any prospective artists over here. So, here it is as it stands right now.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

very nice chuck! What i like about brads model is the sweep in the left-view.

I got a request. fo reasons I don't know (i guess it's because of my sorry hardware) WCU is limited to 1024x768 for me. can anyone go to eddigs and take a 1600x1200 screenshot of the system's star? Should be similar to the screenshot i used until now. Thanks in advance!
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
BradMick
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by BradMick »

actually, krue misunderstood me. i can release MY model, but i can't release the deal i'm using to build mine off of. its no secret, i have the origin source material. i can render, and use to build my models with. unfortunately i don't have the time to just sit and model all the time. my model will be released, just not my reference material is what i meant.
LightWave nerd extrodanaire...

"Who need drugs when you got Brad? He's a trip enough already!' - stoner friend of mine...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Chuck... since Brad is already working on the Demon... perhaps you should try your hand at other models. Or... keep doing the demon to learn. But I imagine all privateer ones should be left for last. 1) Other people are bound to work on them. 2) They're quite decent - perhaps the demon excluded, and 3) the other ones badly need attention.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Right now our Waterloo model is missing a few polys, and pretty much all WC1 craft need to be changed around a bit, they look extremely boxy right now. We need textures for plenty of other ships too, because the majority of our ships dont fit when put together. There is a sticky with a list and detailed problems.

We must pick a set of colors for Confed ships too, somehow.. green doesnt mixes too well with blue, I think if we had all confed ships use blue, they would look more up to date and fit better together.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Klauss, for all your overwhelmingly numerous good qualities, I have to say you are a little naive :)

Which is good; people can't approach 100% good nature as you do, without a bit of naivity.

But in this case, let me spell out the facts for you: Brad is working on modeling the Demon *BECAUSE* I'm doing so. And his will no doubt be better, and mine probably won't be used; but if I stopped working on it, he'd stop working on it too, get it? ;-)
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

...I don't want to sound as though I am taking sides or anything, but I want to bite this in the neck before it gets out of hand. Chuck, that post might have been better off as a PM to Klauss. Whether its true or not, I dunno. But I'd rather not have another argument in the same thread between Sourceforge and Crius. Please don't take this the wrong way.
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Elite

Don't worry; I think my post will be taken as quarter-joking, tongue in cheek, as it should be. ;-)

Update:

I realize I lenghtened the wings too much; I'll fix that. Basically, most of what I've done since the last update is get the engines to look closer to the original, both in size and shape (more pointy at the forward end.

Question, anyone; I see dead polygons; what do I do with them?

Is there a reason why anyone would embed an ellipsoid into another shape and then tell their favourite software to create a gazillion polygons just to connect the two? Is that done just to make future edits more difficult?, or is there a technical reason?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Let's test that hypothesis, Chuck.
If I were you, I'd start working on some other model.
That'll shed some light on the subject.
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Too late for a test of the hypothesis, now that its inner workings are spelled out :) As in Quantum Theory, I believe the act of observation affects the results of the experiment :D

Klauss, why are you trying so hard to discourage me from working on the Demon?

You're usually more supportive...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Don't mind me... work on the demon all you like. We still don't have Brad's model.
It's only that I would arrange priorities putting all privateer ships last - for reasons I already exposed: there's people working on them already - PR and GG guys, both - and they're actually the ones that need it the least.

Plus... my favourite ship is the Hellcat, and I'd love to see a refurbished Hellcat in WCU (but don't have the skills to do it myself). :P
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Allright; I get you. Ok, let me put it this way: This is the very first time I'm using Blender and actually getting something done. I'm not sure whether it will work out, though; I've deleted dozens upon dozens of polygons that, in my view, weren't doing anything, but who knows, it's my first experience. Chances are all this work might go to nothing. I'm just learning, and once I'm done learning I'll tackle the Hellcat next. Keep in mind, I had some sort of attachment to the Demon I don't have to the Hellcat, so I can try and follow the look from pictures, but I won't be able to judge the feeling of it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Update:

I just realized my engines lost their "pointiness" at the front, after having scaled them; so I'll fix that, and the wings are still a wee bit too long, talking like 1 or 2%...
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

@chuck_starchaser

This is a very aggressive project to recreate your first model as a HQ model. I think it was my forth or fifth attempt before I finally got to the broadsword, and it was finally used in a game. (it still is for some reasons) I even went through all the work of remaking the hornet, and naturally literally one week later someone made a model that just killed mine. So whatever happens don’t take it personally, its experience. I myself am thinking about doing all those little pointless models, (nav bouy, 3d items, etc…) everything that no one else cares about. I hope that didnt come out wrong.

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Yeah, don't worry; I've pretty much given up hope it will be used, but if something better takes its place, so much the better :) I'm just very happy I'm finally getting the hang of Blender. Thanks!
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

If you want to give it a shot, try the Broadsword. That needs a major overhaul. Right now you could double the polys and no one would complain, but it would add vastly to the LOD. I would recommend using the model that is originally their, <shameless plug>my model its mostly accurate down to almost every detai, not having the original and all</shameless plug>

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

First, I don't know how to *add* polys, yet; I've only been removing polys, and moving vertexes around...

R.E. the Broadsword, I don't understand; if your broadsword is better, how come we're not using it already?
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

chuck_starchaser wrote:First, I don't know how to *add* polys, yet; I've only been removing polys, and moving vertexes around...

R.E. the Broadsword, I don't understand; if your broadsword is better, how come we're not using it already?
You are, I just didn’t texture it (my major weakness) WCU is also using my Drayman/Diligent. Model, I think that there might be a few more. but havent verfied. it. I know that no one is uisig the Rapier MK 1 only the MK 2 is out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Okay, so you just want me to texture the broadsword? No problemo.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Actually what I was trying to imply that if you want to try another ship, you should go after the broadsword. Its a major model in the Privateer games, and the model is becoming dated. You don’t have to do I, but it would be good experience if you want to give it a shot. Also I think right now the textures are above quality so I do not think you need to redo them.

Edit: However IF you are offering you can texture the Hades Class model I need for WCWI (hint hint)

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Okay, I get it now. For me the Demon is a first priority, though, because, although Broadswords appear a lot in the game, Demons are much more integral to the story missions; and the present model... well, I find it embarrassing; whereas most of the other ships that are part of the main story are pretty well done. And then, I have to agree with Klauss. All those other WC ships, including the carriers, are beyond embarrassing; --not speaking in terms of accuracy, as I'm not familiar with the originals; just saying in terms of lack of detail...
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Actually I have yet to see the WCII Rapier. Just the first one. Unless that's not hat you meant.
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!