Title Screen

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Title Screen

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I thought about the title screen and about the fact that spirits seems to want another one. So I tried myself in arts :oops:

What do you think of this?

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/7581 ... le33wg.gif

It's just a sketch and i'm open to any suggestion... :D

Do you like another subject?
Do you think there should be a logo or is just a titlescreen enough?
Do we have to stick to the typical WC-Script (I personally don't like it)?
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Very nice, the Dralthi shouldn't stand up like so though ^^;

BTW, is that from a screenshot? if so it's really schweet!
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I was just wondering if the way is right. Until now the titlescreens of wcu and the remake are like scenes or snapshots from a battle. I was going to do something collage like. If you guys agree to this direction, I'm going to spent more time on it...

@spirit: Do you need any free space for text or something?
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

O_O
Cooooooooooool
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I got two questions about the game. the answers ought to help me to get better screenshots.

How do I change the backgrounds of a given system. Let's say troy. I want to replace the star picture with a one color screen, use it as a blue box. Can anybody tell me step by step what i got to do?

I f i use the F6 view, i can move the ship in relation to the players view. is there any way to move also the universe in relation to the players view? So that i can put the ship the way I need it and then put the universe the way i need it? this is important because of the sun and the shadows the ships throw.

Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is the current version.

What do you think? Anything left to do?
Or should I better leave it at all?

blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

I must confess to personally liking the stand up dralthi better, and the flare was a bit much IMO. It seems to block out the space behind it almost entirely. This is just one man's opinion though, and I think it is still REALLY cool looking.
I love Wing Commander.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The flare depends on the star you take as background. I tried seven stars and liked this one best. but i can still change everything without much trouble. I got the whole picture in 22 layers... :wink:
So if anyone finds a better star, just load it up anywhere...

What dipleases me most are the shadows on the drayman and on the dralthis. But its hard to do anything about it as long as i can't change my viewpoint under the F6-view. If anybody had an idea about the questions i posted above, this would be a real help.

I'd also like to have some more opinions and suggestions. especially from the devs, being the ones who decide whether we'll take it or not... :D

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Why can't you change the viewpoint?
Isn't F11/F12/Q/Z/S/F enough?
Oh... those are VS bindings... take a look at vegastrike's vegastrike.config for the bindings, and temporarily set them to that.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

NIIIIICE! wowness.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Gorgeous! Nice work! I just have one little request: Could you change the Caernaven from the default one to any of the liveried ones? Just that the default one has that plain square of metal waiting for a logo.
You can see all the models here.
To get the model ingame, go to the caernaven folder, rename caernaven.png to, say, temp_caernaven.png, then copy one of the factioned textures and rename the copy "caernaven.png".
amano
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by amano »

Hmm. Would ist be possible to resemble the Title Font of Wing Commander I somehow. At least as much as it can easily be done?

That would give a special nostalogia feeling to this thing.

BTW, the ships in screen 2 look much better now.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

About shadows, you will always see some sort of contradictory shadows in the drayman and kilrathi ships. Lighting has been baked into the textures in those ones... I personally don't like this practice: it makes the ship look beautiful, but contradictorily lit. But... that practice has taken place anyway.
Wing Commander Universe
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm not sure if I shall go on. This discussion on wcnews kind of made me tired ( http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=19059&page=2 ).

The originalplan was easy. Make a design, ask everyone if they like it and, if they do, start working. But now I'm not sure about it at all cause I don't want to spent hours in making better screenshots, cutting out ships by hand, experimenting with light effects just to give some people a reason to say WCU was grap...

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, it would be a lot of work.
First of all, you can't use the ships ingame (you must have seen that already). And you would need to render them separately, in a rendering engine like Blender (for instance).

Hm... perhaps it is a little early to try title screens. The layout is good, but the content (the ships) is not.

I'll get people tired of hearing this: we do need to get someone to beautify the ships.
Wing Commander Universe
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

klauss wrote:
Hm... perhaps it is a little early to try title screens. The layout is good, but the content (the ships) is not.

I'll get people tired of hearing this: we do need to get someone to beautify the ships.
I've never seen this as a problem. I always meant to talk first about the layout, then about which ships we'd like to have in, then: what script do we want? all this stuff...

I thought it would be possible to agree on this stuff and then make the titlescreen with the ships we have. And, as soon as we get a better version of, lets say the concordia (is this right :?: ), I'll simply delete the old layer and take the new model in and post a new picture. This way the titlescreen could grow with the game.

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yep. If that's not too much work, it would be the preferrable way.
Wing Commander Universe
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ok, we then should perhaps simply collect opinons:

-What ships dou you think should be in there?
-How should they be arranged?
-What do you think about the font? (If you have an better one, pleaseload it up)

blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Am I the only one who can't tell the difference from a WC4 Concordia class, and a WC3 Ranger class, save the ranger is old and the concrodia is new?
I love Wing Commander.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

blue_paladin42 wrote:Am I the only one who can't tell the difference from a WC4 Concordia class, and a WC3 Ranger class, save the ranger is old and the concrodia is new?
äh... :?: ahh I played WC4 when it came out. and it was the last WC game I played befor the remake... honstly... I don't know what you want to say... I'm 27 and my memory is not the best anymore... help the shaky old guy!!

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Take a look at the stats:

ranger class
concordia class

The very length is different.
Wing Commander Universe
Shamrock
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Shamrock »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Hey, I'm totally cool, here :), it's been like a year or more since the war :D. No, I'm not speaking in some kind of excited emotional state, just simple facts, I've experienced the culture in that forum and I don't want any more of it. I'm not going back there for any reason. Just reading a few posts from your link was enough of a flash back. They lost their loving feeling long time ago. There must be a cheaper source of info. Not every wc fan is a member of their forum. There are other wc forums and websites. I could do the research myself, but I'm lazy. Rather, I don't care so much for canon myself, since I know Chris Roberts and Origin didn't care for canon that much either. So someone who cares for canon might be better suited to the job, as long as it's not the political agenda kind of caring.. ;-)
And the other point also stands; I will need someone to work with me on the mesh side. There's a lot of ships to do, and that calls for team-work.
Edited for Good Measure!

Edited Reply to Chuck: Alright, I acknowledge it was a personal attack, but you're still locked in a mode of elitism, and the quoted post was annoying. Drop that attitude please - it only serves to further temper your distrust of a good source.

Anyhow back to the title screen. First off it has WAY too much going on! You'll want to drop to at least 5 objects at most. A follow 'KISS', or Keep it simple stupid. Simplicity has its merits and there's way too much stuff going on.

Try streamlining the ships shown - try showing different factions, but only choose 1 or two vessel to represent the faction.

And on a final note, if you create a rough design, say its a rough design. If you want people to give a good opinion on it, spend the quality time to make the title screen worth it.
Last edited by Shamrock on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Hey Klaus: About the ranger and concordia.

The way we have them in game right now, they have the right sizes. I had checked a few sources before resizing them. Our problem with those carriers is that their textures look pretty much the same, and since their models arent very different.. they look a lot like each other.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Shamrock wrote:Call it political if you want, you're just being an asswipe for not coping with rules.
Your post seems to imply that I don't have freedom of choice of association. To you it seems it's either I do X or I'm this or that. It also insinuates that I agree with their rules; --by the choice of the term "cope", as if we were speaking of rules that I tried to follow but wasn't able to due to some weakness in my character. No sir. I simply do not agree with their rules, and therefore choose not to be associated with them.

You see, when I need help programming Microchip microcontrollers I go to the Microchip forum and people are helpful. And if I have a question about Blender I go to Elysium and I get help. And so on and so forth, and I may have disagreements, discuss things, and yet be civilized. And moderators are usually in such forums to ensure civility.

I'd happily seek advice at some WC forum where people are respectful, fair, courteous and unassuming. My experience of that board was of people apparently even making an effort to be blunt for no reason, unfair --as in purposely twisting what someone says--, and even insulting; --all IMO to assume, or to try and boost their own perceived "ranking" in the hierarchy, like "If I insult you and then rapidly change subjects, it must mean I'm more important than you", ignorant type of thing. Typical law of the jungle; a mob culture. And the moderators are there as guardians of the moronic hierarchy, not as unbiased keepers of civility. Anyone in that hierarchy can insult someone of perceived lower ranking, no problemo; but you merely have to express disagreement with the wrong guy and you're banned --or worse... like when they changed Charlieg's avatar.

Those are the rules you think I should "learn to cope with"?, or else I'm this or that?

Maybe it's you who is this or that.

And I disagree that the screen looks "too busy"; I looks busy, yes, as it should: to reflect the fact that WCU includes ships and systems from most, if not all WC games.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Shamrock wrote: And chuck you're being a dumbass. The Crius.net community has done real work and I respect their choices, as compared to you. It's called common sense. Unfortunately that means you're still a fucktard too.

Call it political if you want, you're just being an asswipe for not coping with rules.
Your kind of behavoir is not tolerated here. Personal attacks are not allowed. I also assume you came here from crius, and you are not acting as a very good representitive for crius net if that is the case.

Relationships between wcnews and VS/WCU are already strained. We don't need a troll to make things worse.

So please, edit your post and apologize for your behaviour. Any more personal attacks will most likely lead to a ban.